Using shop down time ideas ? - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Rather BAD chicken. Given it has a massive parasite load, boilt in a stew, Chinese style, is safer.

Gator or croc tail is another. Et it once, each group, out of one-upsmanship. Gator would eat YOU given the chance. Not otherwise worth a repeat.

Ostrich is OK. "Beef-bird" so to speak, far as flavour goes.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, Bill.

As a more or less native Floridian, fried gator tail bites are freaking good, when you get 'em from a good restaurant.

The Yearling restaurant (yes, named after the novel, in the author's home town) has some killer gator tail and frog legs. The outside looks like the place will kill you, but the interior is neat, there's often live music, and the food is amazing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I with those that say maintenance first. One area that may not come to mind is fixing any leaks in the air system. People get used to the sound and don't even notice it after a while. Fixing leaks will save real money and extend the life of compressors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jobshopblog.com View Post
    I with those that say maintenance first. One area that may not come to mind is fixing any leaks in the air system. People get used to the sound and don't even notice it after a while. Fixing leaks will save real money and extend the life of compressors.
    People that don't pay the electric bill get used to the sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Yikes! I have only had harmless black racers come in my shop. I only hate the poisonous snakes, we don't have rattlers here, but copperheads and cotton mouths. I have never seen a cotton mouth and the only two copperheads I saw were road kill. Black snakes, racers, rat, and ring necks are pretty common.
    Dual, here on the other end of Hanover co. there seems to be no shortage of copperheads most summers. Had more close calls with them than I can count. As much as I dislike them I take a live and let live approach unless they are in well traveled areas of our yard and won't leave. The most common snake troubles here though are black snakes in the chicken coup.

As for the op, fortunately my small shop is behind my house and I've been lucky to still have a steady stream of work in my weird little niche world of machining. If the post office and fedex remain accessible I'l keep plugging along. But...... my sweet wife is home from work for at least a month and has a lengthy honeydew list with me squarely in her sights.

5. Likes Ox, neilho liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with you there, Bill.

As a more or less native Floridian, ....
    Gots to be an endangered species, what with all the New Yawkah's bailing-out and flockiing in over THEIR native taxwastion.

End of the day, it's still all about personal taste.

Beef guy, here, basically.

Wegmans - or even Food Lion - have rotisserie chicken so good - and attractively priced - I've quit cooking chicken atall.

Haven't been able to tolerate any of the "Fast Food" outfits for Donkey's Years.

Yah get GOOD at a low/no salt, low/no refined sugar, low-fats & oils kitchen and lifestyle, what they use hits yer mouth like a shot glass of raw road salt.

So what *I* like WILL be very different from most 'mericans on their diets of salted grease, burnt, with carmelized sugar-coating and "soft" drinks.

Then again, Brother and I have also beaten the family history of Diabetes.. after a near-miss...so..

7. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I guess one thing that some of us are going to doo during this break - is talk about snakes, and while I live in an area that not much will kill you, I was in SE Kansas >40 yrs ago to a relative of a relative's farm, and he had an old quarry on it that we hung out by. As we took the small john boat to the center island (likely was a peninsula) there was two big black water snakes going the other way.

That kind'a freaked me out as we aint got nutt'n like that around here that I know of, and I was only around 10 yrs old.

But a quick look-see at youtube and wiki just now and I'm not sure what fer snake they would have been?
    Maybe some of you from the area can identify.

They were big, black, and when they swam - their heads were prolly 18" out of the water and bobbing back/forth, and moved quite fast!
    I'd guess at least as fast as our small boat. (5 hp?)

When looking through swimming snake vids on youtube, I didn't see anything like that at all.

???

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    quick look-see at youtube and wiki just now and I'm not sure what fer snake they would have been?
    Try this source:

https://gpnc.org/wp-content/uploads/.../KS-Snakes.pdf

Black ratsnake?

Most all snakes can and will take to water as a highway to git somewhere.

Most "true" water snakes, OTOH, are Marine critters, not acquatic, operate below the sea as often as above it, get their oxygen with lungs, not gills, but lay their eggs in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    They were big, black, and when they swam - their heads were prolly 18" out of the water and bobbing back/forth, and moved quite fast!
    I'd guess at least as fast as our small boat. (5 hp?)

When looking through swimming snake vids on youtube, I didn't see anything like that at all.

???

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I've seen indigo snakes swim like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could be.

The pic looks right - "big and black".

But Wiki says that they don't hail from over that way much.
    Have you seen them at home - or Florida?

I couldn't find a vid of them swimming like I mentioned, so can't compare that.

It is comforting now to see that Wiki says that this snake is non-venomous tho. LOL!
    If it is in fact the right snake?

???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The obvious ones have been mentioned but the person that comes up with something they can make and people will buy in the present situation has a potential goldmine.

If I could think of something fitting that description I wouldn't have time to post

13. Likes Ox, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Rattler tasted just like chicken to my little peabrain.

If I remember correctly, you could also buy a shot of venom to drink, but you had to sign a waiver that you had no cuts in your mouth ...
    Do they do the green gall bladder stuff in a little glass ? Do snakes have gall bladders ? That is THE nastiest stuff I have ever had. And it's like a high school thing, if you don't drink it you are a sissy.

Takes three full glasses of turpentine to wash the taste out. YUCK !

As a more or less native Floridian, fried gator tail bites are freaking good, when you get 'em from a good restaurant.
    From the hairdo, maybe not but did you ever get to Key West when they had the turtle crawls ? (kraals, actually, but my younger mind made a different connection.) Really good.

And they'd let you swim with the dolphins about halfway down ... Key What ? - if you signed a release. Guy said they were friendly but sometimes they wanted to keep playing after the human was tired ... good times, walk right up to the edge and pet them.

My adult 2020 self says they belong in the ocean tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Do they do the green gall bladder stuff in a little glass ? Do snakes have gall bladders ? That is THE nastiest stuff I have ever had. And it's like a high school thing, if you don't drink it you are a sissy.

Takes three full glasses of turpentine to wash the taste out. YUCK !

"Not for human cornsumption", but the nastiest stuff that I have EVER smelled, was a bucket of soup (?) used as conibear bait for marten.

That stuff'll make you hurl from 10' away!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I personally like to sink my time into something that will save me time in the future.

Currently working on rebuilding a 16 x 40 surface grinder, I burn up way too much time dry grinding tool steel on a manual 618.

With the lockdown in Michigan I have got at minimum 3 weeks of free time to work on it... Probably longer

I also want to use this to rebuild the ragged old bridgeport I first started out on.

img_1970.jpg

17. Likes Ox, Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The absolute worst thing you can do is "nothing". I would say there's two ways the needle can swing as to how you make your time & effort work the best for you:

Left needle swing: if you were very competitive & high demand, concentrate on how you can do things better. The easiest to do is shop clean-up. Thing about it this way: if you paid $1M for a machine that's sitting around and doing nothing, it's just costing you money but sucking up floor and mind space. But you can also work on faster quote/order processing and other things that keep you doing the same think more efficiently.

Right needle swing: you may have been efficient but orders were down due to "not offering the optimum products or services". In this case, you should work on developing new processes. This may or may not involve new machinery.

A lot of things depend on if you are a job shop or OEM and there is a huge gray area of "in-between" factors. It would pay to take some time just to do an overall assessment of "where you were at" and "where you'd rather or should be".

Bottom line, if you can't decide, then just work on cleaning up the shop. You might miss other opportunities but it's still better than doing nothing.

The Dude

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That fab looks like artwork from the band Cusco. Fab!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The janitor says he cleaned the lunch counter and the bathroom stalls. I have my doubts . . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man your gators look tame compared to our salties over here!!! We breed em pretty big up north.

Must admit tho, I keep my slithering pets under the shed, not in it. Got a little (only 3 ft) brown I see coming and going. Keeps the mice on their toes.

My slow down plan:
    got a small shed extension (only 40ft x 16) I have only just started.
    The usual cleanup. Looks like a bomb went off in here. Who knows what treasures I will rediscover!
    Press tooling to fix and make
    The usual maint tasks on my gear.

No doubt more stuff will materialise in the process.
    Fixing air leaks and running some new line

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One back burner project completed today.

I started this one over 3 years ago. My sliding gate is a pain in the ass.
    The rails it rolls on are not in line with where the gate needs to go, so
    its always an aggravating experience opening it and closing it, I always
    ended up having to lift it and move it over, and its a big one, 24ft, and
    the wheels were trashed anyways.

Steerable gate wheels. Works pretty good, and I should never have to lift
    that stupid gate again.

23. Likes TeachMePlease, Ox, jmp, mountie, CatMan and 4 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    How to be productive when the orders slow ? Optimize the shop processes or test new technology ? Probably hard to do when money get's tight and mood sours....but maybe..
    Great time to clean up. I've filled a dumpster with all the trash and cast offs I kept for way too long. PM'd the machines, flushed coolant and cleaned tanks.