What's new
What's new

vacuum carburizing vendor

10 fingers

Hot Rolled
We had used the same, vacuum carburizing vendor for over 10 years. Rate increases had been tolerable. Recently, the minimum lot price was raised to $500. Our orders seldom exceed 20 lbs. Primarily repair parts and medical prototypes. Raising our prices accordingly is not an option. Have contacted Google search results discovering vendors have no interest in small lot sizes. Curious if any other shop owners have worked thru this obstacle. We can not change heat treat process.

I haven’t done much heat treating through vendors, and recently we have our own heat treat oven, not an atmosphere or vacuum furnace however. But I had Midwest Thermal Vac in WI do 4 smaller shafts with a case hardened depth of 0.02-0.03”. Parts looked very nice, nice golden tint to them. Cost was 60 for the job, but I did tell them to get to it when a similar batch was already running. I think it took a good 2 weeks for them to call and say they were done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually to California prices $500 bucks is not bad, you would get sticker shock here, Try Bodycote's near by facilities, there is a ton of suppliers out there.
if all fails try Certified Metal Craft in El Cajon ca , small shop, and small shops would be your best bet.
I have heard of thermal Vac they do good work.

Last edited:
When we got bumped to $200 for a few small shafts less than a few pounds and they tacked on an additional $50 charge for "certs" that we did not request, I said so long as well. Found another local shop for most of our needs but I got this recommendation from a friend that sends their critical 8620 jobs to these folks and is very happy with their work. Worth a call :

Accurate Steel Treating
1008 Miller Ave.
South Gate, Ca
800-622-4328

Same problem here. Bodycote in York is a $750.00 minimum for nitriding.

The last atmospheric job that I sent out was to Solar near Philadelphia. It was a brazing job that ran about $1300. This was a single assembly. I don't know what their minimums are. They have always done a good job though.

Vacuum Heat Treating and Brazing Services | Solar Atmospheres

We send parts for carburizing to RH Sheppard in Hanover, PA. They will do single and small quantities.

RH Sheppard | Heat Treatment Services

Bill

When we got bumped to $200 for a few small shafts less than a few pounds and they tacked on an additional $50 charge for "certs" that we did not request, I said so long as well. Found another local shop for most of our needs but I got this recommendation from a friend that sends their critical 8620 jobs to these folks and is very happy with their work. Worth a call :

Accurate Steel Treating
1008 Miller Ave.
South Gate, Ca
800-622-4328

+1 on Accurate being a decent vendor

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try the shop in Calif as shipping for such lot sizes will not be an issue. Without pointing fingers, a couple of the vendors mentioned here do great work, but their current, minimum charges are not feasible.

Back