What's new
What's new

Varnamo EV-2

Prof Mark

Plastic
Hello all,

I am an instructor at a east coast college, where we have a Varnamo EV-2. The machine was recently pulled from campus storage & we have it set on the shop floor. We are in need of a parts & operators manual. All of the movements are free & the machine can be hand cranked thru movements.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. If possible, electronic copies or .PDF's of manuals are preferred.

Very Kind Regards,

Prof Mark

Shapers are stone-dead obsolete machine tools, to the point that discussion of them on PM is forbidden outside the Antique Machinery and History subforum. Training or even basic familiarization would not be doing your students any favors. Scrap iron, seriously. Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but your students would be better served by an old Bridgeport or BP clone; at least the cutting principle is that of a modern machine tool.

We are using the old beast to simply demonstrate the evolution of machine tools. We still use 2 Van Norman horizontal mills as a part of the learning. Yes, the students learn to operate the VN's, then on to Bridgeport vertical mills. Some of the Bridgeport's have been replaced with modern import knock offs (all with variable speed heads).

Regardless, It would still be nice to have a set of books for the Varnamo.

We are using the old beast to simply demonstrate the evolution of machine tools. We still use 2 Van Norman horizontal mills as a part of the learning. Yes, the students learn to operate the VN's, then on to Bridgeport vertical mills. Some of the Bridgeport's have been replaced with modern import knock offs (all with variable speed heads).

Regardless, It would still be nice to have a set of books for the Varnamo.

I think Tony at lathes.co.uk has a basic manual. IIRC I bought one for a Prema shaper many years back and that shaper was made in Vanarmo.

The manual wasn't cheap though.

PDW

We are using the old beast to simply demonstrate the evolution of machine tools.

My sincere apologies. That is quite a comprehensive—and ambitious—approach to teaching machining. If they pay attention it will be like compressing a 1950-70 career into a semester. If I had a manual I'd donate it.

Back