What's new
What's new

Video for Teaching Single Blocking Proving Programs

munruh

Hot Rolled
Does anyone know of a good video or a way to teach how to single block and prove out new programs? I have a hard time getting this through to new hires about watching the distance to go on the control panel together with using the feed pot and rapid override. One of these days there is going to be a major crash and it scares me.

What, you have a problem doing what many of my former colleagues have done? Just press the green button and walk away.

Who cares if the drill tries to rapid right through the part. It'll stop eventually.

If it requires a video to teach them then you need better workers or you need to improve on your teaching skills.

Push the single block key, verify that it's lit
Turn the feedrate knob to 0%
Turn the rapid override knob down to 25%

Press cycle start
Look at the distance to go section of the screen. These are the distances the machine wishes to move. Note each direction.
If the machine's wishes are allowed, turn the feedrate override knob to 10% or 20% and allow it to execute its intended move

That should be all the start they need. Note this doesn't check rapid moves or tool clearances. Nor does it check speeds & feeds.

I'm proving out a program right now that's 14 megabytes long. How do you single block through that?

A video? That would make about as much sense as a video on how to watch a video. I know what you're talking about though. "Hey, this is a new program, watch it real close" seems to translate to "Hit the green button and go take a shit"

My solution- Simple, it's called Vericut. May seem a tad expensive, but it's a fuckload cheaper than a crashed machine.

If you have control of the machine with feed and rapid overrides, then it's my opinion that single block is redundant. In other words, if you're reliant on single block, it's not going to save you if that G0 Z-5. move was supposed to be G0 Z0.05. Or if you're positioning to within .005" in Z of a vise jaw, but your work offset is set .010" too low, single block will not prevent that crash. We never use it, and we have very, very few crashes during setup. Maybe 2 or 3 small bumps every year.

The biggest problem with new hires today is the sheer amount of damage an inattentive one can do, put in charge of a high-speed automatic machine tool.

I saw a 19-year-old guy walk straight into a closed glass door because he was too busy texting to watch where he was going. Extrapolate that to the number of those assholes who have drivers licenses, and discriminating against hiring from their segment of the population does not seem unreasonable. The day will come when the hiring process at CNC shops will routinely include a specialized IQ test in addition to the usual drug screen.

I don't single block and tell my guys not to either. It is a big waste of time on longer programs. I simulate all programs before posting to make sure they look good. Then when proving out at the machine run until the tool is close to the part. Make sure the distance to go looks correct with what the program says. Let it cut that feature(keeping an eye on the code to make sure it looks right), then do the same for the next feature. Yeah there has been some minor bumps breaking an end mill because someone wasn't paying attention. But I would rather have that then someone pressing cycle start 1000+ times.

Plus single block doesn't automatically mean the guy is going to watch the code and make sure it's correct.

Back