What's new
What's new

visiting students

roll maker

Aluminum
Next week i am going to have a couple of votech kids with their instructor come to the shop. I have a list of discussion items I will cover with them. I would like to send them back with some kind of simple "trinket", any suggestions of what kids would like or be able to use? Also what are some thoughts on selling the industry to today's youth, as well as their responsibility?

Something to put on a key chain. "Toys" like tops and fidget spinners are cool to younger kids, not so much teens. Something on their keys won't get lost. IMO kids in general get lots of ideas for things to do with their lives but don't always retain it all.

edit: Mebfab beat me to it :D

As far as the way to sell it to the youth today. Look them in the eye and tell them the truth. This is a field that needs bodies. The bodies that know their stuff can pretty much write their own ticket. This is an exciting time to be in manufacturing especially in CNC. I am routinely programming for and running multiple high dollar machines and would do for free in my free time if my wife would allow it. This profession would be saturated if the kids actually saw what it's about.

If they continue their education and work hard they will have a marketable skill set that they can be proud of while their peers have student debt and no prospects.

got a lot to do with education costs. if going to college and having to get students loans with loan interest the actual total costs with interest payments can be 2 to 10 more than many expect.
i went through apprenticeship program cost me nothing that is my pay was $1./hr less to pay for training and basic tool set. but i did not have to pay anything else. i worked got paid and went to class training.
too many try to get college degree and school might end up with interest payments costing them over $100,000. and many if they calculate actual cost might find a apprenticeship that appears to pay $1/hr or $2/hr less is actually far cheaper in the end.
personally i think explaining the math (especially compound loan interest) and long term costs. then explain if working and getting 150% pay for overtime work its not unusual to be making $80,000 to $100,000/yr. then explain saving in 401K early at 18 that compound interest saving in 45 years at $400./month you will have over $1,000,000. saved by 64 year old. big difference between saving and loan interest over the decades it adds up. really understanding compound interest math is difference between bankruptcy and being a millionaire. actually with 401K company match the free extra money given also needs explaining that they can easily be a multimillionaire. explaining the math on benefits besides hourly pay often needs explaining too

Modern kids aspire to go to Uni,even better with a Gap Year (lazy little f.....s)! Those that do go to work want top $ right away. Maybe it's just me getting older ��

personally i think explaining the math (especially compound loan interest) and long term costs. then explain if working and getting 150% pay for overtime work its not unusual to be making $80,000 to $100,000/yr. then explain saving in 401K early at 18 that compound interest saving in 45 years at $400./month you will have over $1,000,000.

really, that much. I don't know too many machinists who even make 1/2 of the 80k..
That in the NY/NJ area.
Even machinists for airline companies.. not making that money.

Stay away from keychains, unless it's a leatherman squirt. It will just go in the garbage.

I've had good luck giving out pens with our company logo and info on it, can coozies, and stainless tumblers. These are things most people use daily or hold on to use. The pens are crazy cheap to have done.

As far as selling the youth. If someone told me when I was younger that I could go into a field that gave me the ability to make almost anything I dreamed of, I would have started way sooner than I did.

I like to point out to younger people that the machines we are programming and using to manufacture parts with are basically robots. A CNC mill or lathe is essentially a robot and if robots and tech are interesting to them, then manufacturing is where the "rubber meets the road". If they enjoy things like the Lego Robotics Challenge then manufacturing might be for them.......this is where we get paid to do what they were learning to do. I also like to point out that even if you start as an operator there are a dozen different directions a person can go....the only limits are the time and energy they are willing to expend for training.

Side note: Most of the people I spend my day working with are in careers that my guidance counselor in High School (class of 85) never even mentioned to me existed. Quite honestly....I doubt she even knew they existed. These kids only learn about manufacturing what those of us in manufacturing tell them.

What does your company make?

Best thing you can give them, to my mind, would be something relatively small and cool looking that recalls their visit and what they learned.

Huge metal C-chips might be an answer if "roll maker" means you machine things like steel rolling mill rolls?? I can still remember (back in college, decades ago) seeing one of those rolls being machined, hot chips flying, and something like a 100 hp motor running near 100% on the load meter.

As far as the way to sell it to the youth today. Look them in the eye and tell them the truth. This is a field that needs bodies. The bodies that know their stuff can pretty much write their own ticket. This is an exciting time to be in manufacturing especially in CNC. I am routinely programming for and running multiple high dollar machines and would do for free in my free time if my wife would allow it. This profession would be saturated if the kids actually saw what it's about.

If they continue their education and work hard they will have a marketable skill set that they can be proud of while their peers have student debt and no prospects.

Yup, and use the tour to your advantage as well.

Weed out the ones that keep looking at their phones, it also
is indicative on the instructors abilities as well.

When I was at votech, I did everything to keep my set of shoulder leathers clean because it has the school logo embroidered into it. I still have them since only people from the school will ever have them.

I would like something unique. It could be a keychain, but if you want me to keep it, it better be something I can only get from you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's like a full coat but nothing from your nipples down. You can button on a front apron. Great in the summer time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

QT: [some kind of simple "trinket",] How about a key chain small pallet that says...

"IF my keys are lost and found please call"
xxx-xxx-xxxx
And have your company logo on the other side..
Yes having a CNC that can do lettering and every one would be a special for their phone number.

really, that much. I don't know too many machinists who even make 1/2 of the 80k..
That in the NY/NJ area.
Even machinists for airline companies.. not making that money.
OT:
The tread is about a trinket...not money
but $20 per at 40 hours week is $40K so one making that or less and not loving the job should be knocking on doors IMHO. Yes I know a shop where top guys are making about $20 but they love the place.
SS with blackened letters would be nice.

*But yes don't let us rob the thread from the OP.

Back