What's new
What's new

Visually laying out files

Strostkovy

Titanium
In the never ending process of managing more and more things, I would like a more clear layout of programs and files in use. I made a spreadsheet that lists all jobs and the files associated in a sort of calendar format, and it works great. However, as it gets full of jobs I can't really tell what is going on anymore with all of the text.

Ideally I would like to be able to link a file in the spreadsheet cell and see a preview of it, and then be able to click on it to launch the respective program. Windows file explorer can preview any files, but I have to navigate to the folder and select one file at a time. It would be neat to be able to save some sort of layout with many preview windows, but I don't think that's possible.

Does anybody know of any way to make a sort of graphical list like this without crazy overhead? I mostly deal with PDFs and DXFs

Files can be a bastard to organize. You think they are all squared away and some end up half way round. Something about a round file in a square hole.
Bill D

If you're already working in Excel, you can insert PDFs or IMGs of your part into the work sheet itself. As far as I know, there is no preview function, but you can insert the file itself, so when you double click it, it opens in the correct program. I believe you can also link to a file, so that as you update the file on your hard drive, as long as you don't move it, the link in Excel will always open the latest version of the file.

I'll second a database in Access. Did it years ago and it has paid off in spades. I made a flow chart of how I want the information to look and be linked, hired a database programmer ( taught at local college) to compile the database, and I now have 15 years of information, vendors, customers, purchases, part numbers, work orders, travelers, hours worked per job per machine, all searchable and interactive. I use it every day.

. I made a spreadsheet ...

The fatal flaw from the word GO!
Spreadsheets were never meant to do that!
Yes, yes, yes, blah, blah, blah ... spreadsheets come a long way from Lotus123 and it's predecessors, but in reality, they really should just do what spreadsheets do and not much more.

What you are after is - as mentioned - a relational database such as MS Access, OpenOffice Base, perhaps an old copy of Paradox for standalone application, else some the HTML based new kid on the block of the kind.

Unfortunately, they only come with some templates to get you started, but the real grunt must be done by hand to tailor to one's individual needs.

As a result:

Does anybody know of any way to make a sort of graphical list like this without crazy overhead?

No, not without learning some of the ins and outs of programming and setting up a relational database.
Yes, it takes a bit of learning, but the result will far, far exceed what's possible with a spreadsheet.

I didn't have to learn the intricacy of how it worked or how to write the code to make it work. I just had to make a flow chart of how I wanted the data to interact, and the look of the forms I wanted to produce. Worked with the programmer to refine the result, but he did all of the programming. I've thought about marketing the finished product, I'm sure there is a market for it, but too busy running my business to get involved with it.

I set up an Access database to do just for that. Each new part number has it's links to my Solidworks information (PN, description, configuration) and can open up PDF set up sheets.

Back