Wages and bonuses based on surface area machined - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRedneck View Post
    So, just to clarify some more, I had money in the bank and it has been slowly dwindling away since I started working here. I've cut my expenses as much as I can. I haven't been throwing away my money. For the last few months I wouldn't have been able to get back and forth to work without selling some of my stuff. I'm a car and tractor collector. It's my passion and my life. I'm not married, I don't have kids. I'm not looking to change my life style. I don't have money to do restorations or build hot rods in my spare time and I don't expect to as I haven't been here long but spending an average of $100 a month to try to keep m stuff running, I think I'm doing pretty good. Now, I did get a raise, not much but it's a raise. I also asked them to increase my Withholding because I had to pay in a lot to the IRS this tax season. I'm guessing that's why they gave me a raise, because it would have drawn me down too low just to do that. I'm thinking for the bonus they were talking about finished surface area of the completed part. Bigger parts being worth more. That's fine until they put on the little parts that take a long time. I am the only person this applies to in this shop but then I'm the only machinist. If I decided to leave and go work for a company 20 miles closer to me which the owner of has already offered me a job, they'd be out in the cold. None of them know how to run my machine or write programs. I'd like to be able to at least live reasonably and not have to worry about it.
    Ok, first off, it's not your bosses (owner) job to make sure you have enough money for your hobbies; that's your job. If the owner is smart he will make sure you are paid what the prevailing wages are for the services you provide. Sounds to me like your boss handled the situation badly. When I owned my shop I would NEVER promise anybody more money until I had time to give it some real thought. I owned a shop (70 employees) and as an owner it is a mistake to pay someone more than the prevailing wages for the skill set being performed, it is also a mistake to pay too little because you risk having that person go somewhere else for the money they feel their worth.

Ok, now the part where you would feel guilty leaving the shop because no one else can do your job. You know what that is? It BS!! If you feel you're not being paid what you are worth and another employer is willing to pay you more then do it. If your boss found somebody that had your skill set and would work for less money he would get rid of you and hire the other person, that's the way it works. Your boss will do what he has to do to maximize his investment (machines, tools, building, vehicles etc.) and you should do what you have to do to get the best return for your talents. That's how the world works.

Remember, all a business is is a machine to make money for the owner(s). All your talents are is a resource to make you money. That's it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd ask for written documents from the possible new boss only in the event that I was offered a job there. He has over 150 employees and from the ones I've talked to, it's a great company to work for and they took great care of their employees.

Now onto the wage thing. The boss came to me today and told me that I should go talk to the salesman about the bonus as he'd been doing some figuring and after talking to him I found that what they'd be giving me for a bonus is based on their sales over the last 3 years and the size of each machine sold. It comes out to what I wanted for a wage in the first place. So, it would've saved them time and money to just come to that number in the first place but, as efficiency and production in the shop ramps up, so do the sales, and proportionally, my wage. From what I gather I'm kind of the guinea pig for this system and if it works out they might do this for the other people in the shop. At least that's how it was explained to me and from the number he showed me and the math I did, it seems like the same outcome I wanted. And it won't affect overtime.

Now for the "I can't leave" part. The more I here you guys say that's BS, the more I realize that you are right. Surely there is somebody else in this state that can do what I can. There's a school that teaches it 100 miles away and several shops in a 100 mile radius that have somebody else in them that can do my job. It's not my problem to worry about what they would do if I leave. Sure, I'll write down the tricks I've learned about my machine but I'm not chained to it.

Thanks Everybody. This has given me a lot to think about and helped me see things in a clearer way.

3. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went in and talked to the company people again. They gave me their numbers for starting wage, pay scale, we went over benefits, and I did some math. Figuring in cost for driving to either place to work, with the bonus that is active and progressive at my current employer I would be netting about $170 less a month but I would have paid vacation after the 1st year which I don't have here. But they mentioned that I might be starting out on nights and weekends and those are pretty precious to me, plus they have gone through stages where they hire a bunch of people, then get slow and lay them off again. I think I'll be sticking around here for a while longer.