What's new
What's new

Waste Parts Cleaner Disposal

jlrii

Hot Rolled
I don't know this product or regs on its disposal BUT I would assume, after it was used in a parts washer, all bets are off and it is hazardous waste. The video says it is from this last March. I am wondering if the shit hit the fan or what happened that it was posted now. If it's real it gives a bad name to all of us. I would quit first.

Anyhow video below.

Looked for news on it all I found was that it was being investigated.

"Operators of a foundry near Carson City are scrambling to cope with the fallout from a viral video that depicts workers emptying barrels of “sludge” onto bare ground.

The online video has been viewed more than 400,000 times, including by David Emme, administrator of the Nevada Department of Environmental Protection.

“We’ve received reports of this from other sources as well and we are investigating the incident,” Emme said.

The video, posted to YouTube and Reddit, shows one man dumping liquid from one of several barrels while another narrates. A third man is briefly visible.

Voices in the video describe the substance as “sludge” and “acid” and the camera hovers momentarily over a label that says “metalworking fluid,” without further specifics on the contents.

Also, the narrator of the video says workers were forced to dump the barrels but does not provide evidence backing the claim. The video also lacks evidence to support the claim the dumping had been ongoing for weeks."

Anybody's guess at this point. In any case the guy taking the video made himself complicit by admitting he knew it was wrong and he did it anyways.

I think whistle blower laws would protect him.

You still get fired and don't have a job, and if you need that money next week to pay the rent, you're kind of screwed.

Stupid. If you own a company and are going to dump chemicals down the hillside... First off, do it yourself. Second,
don't dump it down the hillside right off of your own property. If you are going to do it illegally, at least put some
imagination into it, at least make a half assed attempt to hide it and not get caught.

I'm not advocating dumping the stuff, but some people are so stupid/arrogant they deserve punishment.

The property I purchased from a septic installer is next to high tension power lines. The previous owner dumped like 25 gallons of used oil into the "stream" between them. He got fined $10,000. And now I am always asked if I have ever dumped anything. It will be a life long process now to keep my name clear since the last owner screwed it up.

...or its a couple dopes emptying clean drums of rainwater thats been sitting around.

Today, its too cheap and easy to just a call for a pickup and haul away your questionable s and TOO expensive not to.

The property I purchased from a septic installer is next to high tension power lines. The previous owner dumped like 25 gallons of used oil into the "stream" between them. He got fined $10,000. And now I am always asked if I have ever dumped anything. It will be a life long process now to keep my name clear since the last owner screwed it up.

The fine may have been 10k. The cleanup is were the $$$,$$$.$$ are.

Dirty parts worsher water?
The oil has already been skimmed off - right?

So what on Earth is so scary?

Good grief...... the paranoia that we live in today. .... :rolleyes5:

Up to 25 yrs ago we (collectively) sprayed oil (used engine usually?) on the dirt roads to keep the dust down.

How much oil is in the blacktop that is laid down every yr? Let alone how much surfaces on hot days - only to get worshed away when that afternoon T-storm brews up quick....

.. and the label on the used drum is relivent how?

They don't understand the concept of CYA w/o telling the masses?
Un less they know that they are dumping bad stuff (they say that they don't have a clue what it is) then they SHOULD be losing their jobs! DA's!

If you know that it is used Tri-Chlor - then maybe a nother story...

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

"parts washer" covers a lot of ground. A solvent tank, bad. However there are aqueous cleaners for those same tanks. Most detergent based cleaners can go into the sewer system. The worst looking thing in the video appeared to be a soluble oil coolant. The same bacteria that make it go bad in the machine would eat that stuff in a septic tank. Why would you dump stuff that is relatively harmless and easily disposed of on the ground?

If it is "relatively harmless", then why not?

----------------------------

"parts washer" covers a lot of ground. A solvent tank, bad. However there are aqueous cleaners for those same tanks. Most detergent based cleaners can go into the sewer system. The worst looking thing in the video appeared to be a soluble oil coolant. The same bacteria that make it go bad in the machine would eat that stuff in a septic tank. Why would you dump stuff that is relatively harmless and easily disposed of on the ground?

Why? Because you're as mindless as a box of rocks and can post a video of it. The shop management issue illustrated by this thread is "try very hard not to hire idiots".

I chose to consider the video a prank because it's the best reason I can think of for recording what is portrayed. It's either a mindless prank or a very ill-advised attempt to cover his ass and queer his meal ticket in the process. Maybe the videographer is too ignorant to dial 411 and spell EPA.

I wonder if his 4 children will be proud of him when they view the video?

While many cleaning agents are "Biodegradable" the stuff being cleaned can be a different story. Mix them together and no longer Biodegradable.

But it's back to a couple guys claiming the stuff is bad news....

Dirty parts worsher water?
The oil has already been skimmed off - right?

So what on Earth is so scary?

Good grief...... the paranoia that we live in today. .... :rolleyes5:

Up to 25 yrs ago we (collectively) sprayed oil (used engine usually?) on the dirt roads to keep the dust down.

How much oil is in the blacktop that is laid down every yr? Let alone how much surfaces on hot days - only to get worshed away when that afternoon T-storm brews up quick....

.. and the label on the used drum is relivent how?

They don't understand the concept of CYA w/o telling the masses?
Un less they know that they are dumping bad stuff (they say that they don't have a clue what it is) then they SHOULD be losing their jobs! DA's!

If you know that it is used Tri-Chlor - then maybe a nother story...

----------------------

At this point, since the Vid is all over the place and the state is looking at it, the state gets to decide how scary it is and those folks are scared of EVERYTHING.

Add to that the fact that you can't really fight them.

There's going to be core samples, analysis and expensive experts, AND the fact that the companies that do the testing stand to make more money if something is found especially if they get to clean it up too. (wink wink nod nod)...

Sooo...if something is found, even if it's been in the ground for 50 years, guess who will own it.

Talk about the proverbial can of worms.

JR

I find this funny (?), maybe "interesting" (?) but I find it "something" to be certain....

So let's say that we have this dirty worsh water. Let's say that we have 600 gallons of it - like shown here....
.. and it's just too "contaminated" (with what?) to dump down the city sewer, or worse yet - out in the driveway (where vee-hickles drip oil and ethylene glycol every day - but we don't seem too concerned aboot that...)

So - now we go and fetch us one of those evaporator units. We burn up X foot/3 of natural gas, or Y KW of hydro and we evap it all away.

:Ithankyou:

So - now what?
Where did all those "contaminates" (real, or perceived) go?

I worsh alum, brass, and various steels. How many of y'all are OK with dumping your chips ("drained" of oil/coolant) in the dumpster and sending it to the landfill. Where's the diff?

The driveway in front of my G-pa's barn, where he use'ta toss used engine oil out in the driveway by the bucket load at least to the mid 80's, has had grass growing from non-use for decades now.

I see spots near the diesel pump that kills the grass for a few yrs after a spill. I find it interesting that there is a kill spot in the center, surrounded by the greenest grass around. It's not a case of kill zone slowly and slightly growing vegetation as you go out from ground zero like the Tunguska zone....

So - let's say that we evap'd off 595 gallons of liquid ... and we find that we have a bucket of dry sediment left. Is that scary? What is it that's scary? Dissolved irons? Alum fines? Prolly some amounts of floor dry or just plain dirt dust...
Did some refined plutonium find it's way in there? (I doo have a cpl centrifuges here, so ... ???)

Have y'all ever been involved with digging up an old "leaking" fuel tank?

The part that I find "funny" is that I buy into it a fair amount myself.
I am actually pretty "green" as much as I hate to be aligned with that crowd.

Actually - another thing that I find interesting is that one of the most concerning "fields of interest" that the cities tend to watch for in the sewer is Ph levels. Yeah, you may be dumping Ph5, but the guy accrost the street is dumping Ph9. But each of you need to correct it to 7 before dumping or you get in trouble. .. and they doo monitor that monthly with certain industries.

There is a Superfund site where I have ridden snowmachine on occasion. It's an old gold mine that was ran around the turn of the century (the last one eh?) and then aggin as late as (?) The 80's (?) I think? Apparently enough cyanide had found it's way into the crick, and there are no fishies in there for 7 miles downstream. This site is almost exactly on top of the Continental Divide (you can walk to it from there) so - I'm not sure how man fishies would be expected to be in a crick that far upstream, as I would fully expect that it goes dry several times each yr. (It's at the top of the drainage) But - none-the-less, that seems to be a little scarier and "real" than some dissolved steel fines...

I got'ta wonder how much oil and ??? goes into the leach bed from worshing my britches in a years time?
How about the oils and ?? that come from the rags when they get worshed?

--------------------------

Last edited:
There is a Superfund site where I have ridden snowmachine on occasion. It's an old gold mine that was ran around the turn of the century (the last one eh?) and then aggin as late as (?) The 80's (?) I think? Apparently enough cyanide had found it's way into the crick, and there are no fishies in there for 7 miles downstream. This site is almost exactly on top of the Continental Divide (you can walk to it from there) so - I'm not sure how man fishies would be expected to be in a crick that far upstream, as I would fully expect that it goes dry several times each yr. (It's at the top of the drainage) But - none-the-less, that seems to be a little scarier and "real" than some dissolved steel fines...

Like you OX, I don't consider myself a "greenie", but I try not to put stuff where it will do damage. I also try not to put stuff
where it will cost me more money down the line.

You Colorado folk, the Animas Creek "spill".. Apparently New Mexico is suing Colorado now.. It wasn't called CEMENT creek for no
reason.. There are mines there for a reason.. Mineralization, all kinds of valuable goodies in them thar hills.

Comments from people "Whoever put the lead and arsenic and cadmium there should be
punished".... Where the flying fuck do these nimrods think this stuff comes from??

Should we pull down Mother Natures bloomers and give her a spanking?

If its not GROWN, its MINED.

Can't dump your used motor oil on the dirt road, but if you fill a big drum of it up and spray it to keep the dust down, thats OK...

Better get the HazMat guys out here there is some Hydrochloric acid... But I just puked over there and nobody cares...

Seems sensibility when it comes to this type of stuff just doesn't exist anymore... Way off the grid one way or the other.

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year.
What are the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide?
Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.
Dihydrogen Monoxide Facts
Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the Greenhouse Effect.
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Dihydrogen Monoxide Alerts
Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. In the midwest alone DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage.
Dihydrogen Monoxide Uses
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain junk-foods and other food products.

Stop the horror - Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

THE HORROR MUST BE STOPPED!

Problem is its in no ones interest to do long term studies of disposals in small quantities. In nature theres bacteria that will eat most things. Yeah they may not be able to eat a blob of grease, but slight seepage - small dispersed quantities bellow certain levels and its a banquet to em!

Most cyanide spills from mining have bad short term effects, but given time they break down and disperse, the problems the toxic metals they leach out with them. Cyanides a pretty active chemical, it wants to break down with something else! Most compounds will break down in nature over time, elements don't! Thats why the toxic metals are so long term dangerous, they get concentrated by the food chain and very much cycle with in it.

Dumping crap like thats wrong, no doubt about it, but then when over here you make it just as illegal to boil it down - treat it on site, what do people expect? I have seen it way too many times in print were companies chose to simply dump rather than treat in house because the chances of being caught are much much slimmer. Most coolant emulsions can be easily cracked - emulsified leaving what is little more than a spent detergent water and a very recyclable oil. Boiling - evaporating the waters down is harmless. Recycling the oil again, its easy. Any solid residues left can go to landfill which over here is always well bunded. But when doing so is just as illegal what do the government expect to happen?

Some point we have to realy start to become realistic about waste streams, allowable limits need to reflect proven harm levels, bio reactivity and not just be ever tightened.

Some laws on the books are just downright stupid...but unless you want to fight them, follow them. And if you fight them, follow them till you get them changed or expect sizable fines.

One of the dumbest is at our marinas. Haul a boat and normally we pressure wash the bottom to remove any seaweed, barnacles, mussels that can grow on the bottom. Whatever is cleaned off the bottom of the boat is now considered Hazardous Waste and cannot be returned to the water. If pressure washing, it must be done over a collector system, solids removed and disposed of as hazardous waste. I am not sure what other marinas are doing, but we then filter water again and goes into a recirculating tank to be used over and over till a determination that it too should be hauled off as waste. This is all 20 feet from where the boat was removed from the water.
In jest, early on I asked DEP (or was it DEC) at a sit down to go over plans "if a crab jumped off when we pulled boat then scampered into the water would we be fined?" Thought maybe he'd laugh...but not even a lip quiver, just replied he wasn't sure and would have to get back to us.

Here's a better one...boats sit on jackstands in the yard...all well and good. Remove that boat from the jackstands and you can be fined for leaving the jackstand out as there is a possible rust and runoff contamination. Put boat back on them...its okay.

In any case, dumb regulation in my opinion, scrapping bottom on a tarp and disposing of is a good one...anyway, its the law or regulation and its just as easy to comply as it is to fight so go with it.

Back