What's new
What's new

Web hosting and email service, who are you using?

wgnrr1

Hot Rolled
I've been using GoDaddy for my domain name, hosting and email for several years. Recently they switched everyone from the webmail service to office 365 with outlook. I HATE IT! I'm not getting emails, it doesn't load correctly, sends emails randomly to junk and bulk mail folder. I've called and spoke with them and never get anywhere. Always the same response "It's a great platform, you'll get used to it". If it's that great, why do you have a whole department now for email problems??? It's cost me time and money, and it's not getting better.

I just looked into Yahoo Small Business again. A customer has been using them for 20 years and is happy. And the email platform is webmail based. Which has always worked.

What service are you guys using? Pros and Cons? Cost, but that really doesn't matter if the service is good.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

I've been using GoDaddy for my domain name, hosting and email for several years. Recently they switched everyone from the webmail service to office 365 with outlook. I HATE IT! I'm not getting emails, it doesn't load correctly, sends emails randomly to junk and bulk mail folder. I've called and spoke with them and never get anywhere. Always the same response "It's a great platform, you'll get used to it". If it's that great, why do you have a whole department now for email problems??? It's cost me time and money, and it's not getting better.

I just looked into Yahoo Small Business again. A customer has been using them for 20 years and is happy. And the email platform is webmail based. Which has always worked.

What service are you guys using? Pros and Cons? Cost, but that really doesn't matter if the service is good.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

I have been using fastmail for at least 20 years now I think, it's extremely reasonably priced as far as non-free email goes, and dead reliable. Webmail is clean, functional and ad free, standard secure imap/smtp for desktop/mobile clients.

Not really for web hosting, although they do offer limited hosting for static pages. If you just want file storage/sharing that is built into the email packages. They do domain hosting, but don't sell domains directly.

Hosted domains | Fastmail

small business, about 15 email addresses and a couple of web sites. originally went with godaddy...their email prices started going up 50% per year, left the domains there and shifted web hosting and email to hostgater. Super low cost and good service, but email on a shared server sucks....one scoundrel spams off the server and all others on the server get email blackballed. left the web hosting there an just switched email to Zoho, $1/a month per email and so far its been flawless,

Just for email, using Hushmail. The Canadian privacy laws are stronger than U.S. Not bulletproof, if you're doing illegal, they won't save you otherwise pretty resistant. Web, POP3, IMAP, encrypted if you want or need, everything you'd want.

LOL! If you can even RUN a Microsoft app other than virtualized?

I don't want you anywhere near the services I use!

Sorry 'bout dat', but it would be akin to encouraging pissing in the beef stew.

"In General", however:

- A DNS "A" record is generally what you want for making a "website" public. So an IP address can be resolved from the <domain>.<tld>

- An "MX" record is what you publish for your incoming email to find and "submit" to the correct MTA.

- OUTBOUND SMTP mail requires an associated "PTR' routing record. If a submitting MTA lacks such, it can be denied connection, immediately. Doing that denial eliminates 90% - plus of all spam and malware at once. No filtering needed. It never completes even "CONNECT" phase of the SMTP process steps.

Website, reciving MTA, sending MTA can all be on different IP, different server, and different continents, even for ONE <domain>.<tld>

And often ARE! "Pooled" over multiple servers, even so. Gmail, hotmail et al run whole legions of them. Farms of pools, if you will.

Bottom line is that if you seek to make wiser choices of "hired" services, a good start is to research what you would have to do to run your OWN to "Best Current Practice" standards.

Then not do it.

Just make a wiser choice of services that DO apply "Best Current Practice".

Last edited:
Not sure who we're using for web hosting. Gmail works well for our email and the search function in it works really well for finding older emails. It's nice having all of the other features Google offers right there with it(ie. calendar, hangouts, meets).

Namecheap for domain names and Inmotion for hosting. I moved from Lunarpages 2 years ago because they often got their email server blacklisted for spam and it was a PITA to get them to fix it, like a couple times a year. Inmotion is a little tight with security but I haven't had my email blacklisted yet so I can't complain and I like everything else about them. DO NOT use the same place for both domain name registration and hosting, it can cause "issues" if you try to move.

Domain names are around $8 a year and hosting is $132 a year for up to 2 websites, or $72 a year for the introductory rate that you can get for a few years. I register my domains in my name and haven't had many spam calls or emails from doing so, vs paying $20 a year to "protect" myself. On top of saving $20 a year per domain name it makes it simple to switch registrars if I ever want to.

The problem with Gmail for email is it is very popular with scammers so it is not as trusted in the professional world, it makes them question if you are legit or not. Using your website host as your email client is far more professional.

I have my domain name registered on GoDaddy along with Office 365 and email. I have my website on Weebly. The 365/email has been "error-proof" for around 5-6 years, works great and gives me emails based on domain name. The 365/cloud gives me absolutely the best access to documents and multiple computers (I use 3) and rarely have any issues (just sometimes have the same document open more than once, sometimes creates sync issues). Only cost $99/yr, does do a few annoying upgrades on occasion.

I did originally go from the website (not the domain name) on Weebly, then to a local service that designed a website for me (was too "fancy"), just went back to Weebly with a very simple site and have a few issues that I'm pretty sure I can get resolved.

The Dude

Web.com has been fine here. So cheap I forget what it costs. Only email problem I've had in the last few years was too little memory dedicated to it, it got full of spam on the server. All i had to do was increase the memory allocated to the inboxes at no cost (100X more than inititally dedicated 15 years ago) and all is well again. Tech support is responsive, service is fine.

I've had my sites registered and hosted with Hostgator for over ten years and they still have the option for their POP/IMAP or 360. Im still using the regular IMAP and no problems. I prefer to stick with a host that allows Wordpress so I can build a site with Elementor then save it as static HTML. That way I can re-upload without Wordpress to get better response time.

As EG suggested Proton is a nice service because of their security and anonymity. I have an Apple server and host .Onion sites and Proton seems to work best there.

Now if you ever need a disposable email for signing up to a sight but don't want the spam garbage that comes along with it then emailondeck is nice. It takes about 5 seconds to get a working email and just use it to signup for whatever and get the verification email then forget about it.

The problem with Gmail for email is it is very popular with scammers so it is not as trusted in the professional world, it makes them question if you are legit or not. Using your website host as your email client is far more professional.

Are you talking about the paid Google service G Suite? its using Gmail servers with your own domain name, we used them for 6 years with no problems.

I have multiple sites hosted on GoDaddy, with GoDaddy email handled via IMAP and POP3 in MS Outlook.

Works fine, and I've never used GoDaddy's web-based email. Lame.

I think having an email address separate from your domain with Gmail or whatever takes away from the professional appearance you want for your company.

I use ionos.com (formerly 1&1) for hosting and email. They have webmail which seems to work fine. I use their webmail on my phone or if I need to check it from home, but I mainly use Thunderbird on my PC to access my email via POP. (They also support IMAP.)

I use Wix for web hosting and Gmail for email. No problems in 2 years

Have you spent some time searching for your website and services? I’ve used wix for maybe 5 or 6 years and have had nothing but problems. I make a few products that other people also make. If you search for that product, you will not find my website, even 20 pages deep on Google or any of the other major search engines. If you search for the product that only I make, you won’t find my website, period. Also the SEO stuff is done on WIX and has little to no impact.

Google G suite is very problematic. If you don’t think you have a problem, then you haven’t looked or you don’t send many emails. I documented with several customers, over the phone, that sent emails were not received. Sometimes they took 2, 3, 10 days, some never arrived, some I never received. Trying to contact them is a useless endeavor as far as I have gotten.

I went “old school” and hired a private company to build my website. They own the servers, they built the platform, they own all the software and hardware. And I can drive there in 20 minutes and talk to the owner. No extra “subscriptions” for every aspect of the website. No constantly changing plans and costs like wix. No “subscribing” and renewing only to get 50% off coupons 3 times a day for the next year, until it’s time to renew again.

Ive been using webmasters.com since the early 2000s, 2002 ish maybe? Always impressed with the customer service and feel they are worth every penny.

Back