What's new
What's new

what am i worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeMakinChips

Plastic
The time has come for me to seek other employment. The issue is that I am not sure what wage I should ask for. I currently make 32\hr. I am 26 years old and I have 10 years in industry. I have experience in CNC\manual milling, turning, grinding. I can hand sharpen drills of all sizes, understanding of shop math trig feeds\speeds etc. I currently run a VBM with a 14ft table a 9ft ram and 191in vertical cutting envelope. I was also a naval certified dimensional inspector of naval nuclear components. FYI I never joined the armed forces to do this work. If I really thought out my experience I could run the list out further.
This is a quickly typed up post because I gotta run out the door. But I had an offer this week for 22\hr to run two machines a haas vf8 and a doosan 6700, on 2nd shift doing mold work, in ohio. so you guys run shops yourself and know more about the market etc so what price tag would you put on someone with my experience? ill check back to this post later. Any help is appreciated.

As a gut check, I think the $32/hr is in the right ballpark. If you can program and process engineer, that goes up. That said, it's all about supply and demand in your local area. Could be you could get twice as much in one town in Ohio vs. another, and you can find a better deal if you can wait for right right opportunity to pop up.

You can do a lot better than the mold shop offer.

We will start newbies at $24 if they are respectful, seem to have ambitions, and can demonstrate the slightest degree of mechanical aptitude. We will not suffer long with them if they do not work or cannot learn.

We are instantly skeptical of people with skills looking for work. $32 is about right for someone with your experience.

I am going to be real here while I'm sure others will blow smoke up your ass all day long.
You are 26 and have ten years in as a full time machinist? Bull.
You run a 14 ft by 9 foot machine. Big deal.
You can do basic shop math and hand sharpen drills. Again not rocket science and in reality the skills of a high school kid.
Assume you do not have a card or official training but more like most of us with learning on the job.
I do not know Ohio but I do know Michigan. 32 is sky high for what you present.
Mid 20s to 30 max. Often lower.
Sucks,,,, I totally agree but this is talking the real world and not the pie in sky pay rates.
If a job in such at 32 and local I know many who would clean your clock.
I'm sorry to say all this but in this area a bit of truth.
West coast and even east is better money . But, buy a house.
Bob

You are worth as much as someone is willing to pay you and you are willing to accept.

I'd have to be pretty damn steamed to leave a job for lower pay. But it sounds like the offer you speak of is being used by you as an example.

I'm not willingly leaving the mandates are pushing me and dozens of others out.

It crazy to me I have never seen such a roller coaster of wages. Local chicken joint is offering 19$ awful hard to have an understanding of real value on anything not just wages.

It crazy to me I have never seen such a roller coaster of wages. Local chicken joint is offering 19$ awful hard to have an understanding of real value on anything not just wages.

It's the equalization of wages. It's why you can pay a doctor $10 online now to give you a diagnosis and Engineers are still starting at 40-50k a year, like they did 30 years ago. People like to act like $23/hr is still a lot of money and they want Brad Pitt Steve Jobs superstar for it.

Don't listen to the plethora of Lib-tards or Chicken Littles, if your being pushed out by mandates stick to your guns.

A lot of things happen in a persons life, in the end all you have that no one can take away is your name and your honor.

The idiots currently running Washington right now have no right to force vaccines on individuals. I have kept 100% of my employees working from day one of this stupidity, no masks, no vaccine requirements, no seclusion from anyone.

If need be find another carrier path. Successful intelligent people will always come out on top. Spineless weasels hide behind the cloak of others and get in line to drink the Kool-aide. They never had a name to be proud of and honor has no meaning to them.

The mandates are just there to back up the money grab that has been "the new normal" and to back up a political position. Most people have no idea as to what is and has happened as they have had their heads in the sand for the last 18+ months, and/or don't have the IQ to understand. This goes 10X for the forum rats that spend day after day posting rubbish on a public forum.

Don't listen to the plethora of Lib-tards or Chicken Littles, if your being pushed out by mandates stick to your guns.

A lot of things happen in a persons life, in the end all you have that no one can take away is your name and your honor.

The idiots currently running Washington right now have no right to force vaccines on individuals. I have kept 100% of my employees working from day one of this stupidity, no masks, no vaccine requirements, no seclusion from anyone.

If need be find another carrier path. Successful intelligent people will always come out on top. Spineless weasels hide behind the cloak of others and get in line to drink the Kool-aide. They never had a name to be proud of and honor has no meaning to them.

The mandates are just there to back up the money grab that has been "the new normal" and to back up a political position. Most people have no idea as to what is and has happened as they have had their heads in the sand for the last 18+ months, and/or don't have the IQ to understand. This goes 10X for the forum rats that spend day after day posting rubbish on a public forum.

Had an extra cup o Joe this evening eh lol

I'm 100% in agreement with Windy City. Couldn't have said it better.

My son is on the edge of quitting an Phd program at Georgia Tech because of the same. Don't let anybody force you to take an unnecessary experimental medical treatment against your will.

It's a good time to coopt a slogan of the left- My Body My Choice!

Yep, maybe it is "just a vaccine", but it's not something that should be mandated.

$32/hr for what you describe would be high down here, but it's the rural South so everything is (was?) lower.

I'm 100% in agreement with Windy City. Couldn't have said it better.

My son is on the edge of quitting an Phd program at Georgia Tech because of the same. Don't let anybody force you to take an unnecessary experimental medical treatment against your will.

It's a good time to coopt a slogan of the left- My Body My Choice!

The "my body, my choice" is one way of approaching it. But oddly enough, a person can't get pregnant standing next to another on a train platform (at least, not typically!), but can catch a potentially fatal, easily spreadable virus in that scenario.

So, do you have any responsibility towards your fellow man/woman in society? Do you obey traffic lights, or ignore them? After all, making you stop is an infringement on your freedom, isn't it?

It's curious to me that even though trump now advocates for people getting vaccinated, his followers still reject that. How many other situations do we know of where a political whim (trump's initial denial, then playing down of Covid) has had such broad implications for a society?

Thank you all for your support I had no intention of making this political in anyway. My passion is cutting steel some people really like fishing or racecars mine is heavy cuts and flying chips. God bless you all, Might see me again on here sometime.

So strange, I saw a clip of Mike Rowe on TV today and he was talking about people going into welding and truck driving and making 6 figures a year and that college wasn't for everyone and that's OK. You could still have a great life.

Then I come on here and people are saying you have to be a rock star to make $60k a year. Seems since the local fast food places are starting to intrude on the wages I hear some folks on here saying are fair I am thinking this might be a time for some to start looking at those welding and truck driving jobs that apparently aren't stuck with pay rates in the 1980's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back