Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What bank do you guys use?

We currently use a local credit union, which has been great for 10+ years. But they are not really in the business lending world. Looking to get a business line of credit or credit card for some big jobs we just got, but having no luck with our own bank. May need to switch to a big bank. :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All I can say is don't use Sun Trust unless you miss how things were over 30 years ago, they are so backward it isn't even funny.

3. Likes n2zon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TD Bank, if for no other reason it is convenient.
    ...and they have people that work there.

Even during lunch...amazing how a whole bank can take off at 12pm leaving just a trainee to tend to business. Hmm...lunch time. Don't people take lunch at 12 and try to run errands...you know like banking. Once in a blue moon I had to hit the bank around 12...line out the door not moving. That was Chase.

Had another bank that changed hands a few times...wound up becoming Santandar. Worst bank ever! Horrible hours, their drive through would be loose the canisters that went back and forth...deposit sizable checks and they get lost, don't tell me to come back on Friday.
    Then they lost an insurance check for 20k. I had copies of check, deposit slip etc...they agreed with me. But couldn't find check to release funds...told me not to worry they would find it. We gave them about two weeks before letting all hell break loose. AKA- I let my wife loose on them. Funny, they located the check...seems as it was an insurance payment they needed to hold the funds till work was done...nobody but 1 person knew anything about it. Local managers, branch managers, main office supervisors...don't' worry...but you can't take the money out.

TD has been ok...lousy rates...and there was that thing when somebody started cashing fraudulent checks on our account. Yeah several 7k checks cleared on our monthly statement. Called bank, told them the issue, they emailed pictures of the cleared checks. Yup, not ours. Had to go into bank and deal with it, then the police station to file claim. I did get a good laugh when asked how I knew the checks weren't mine. Lets see, it does sort of look like our checks, but we spell our company name correctly on ours and use the right address. Then there is these here, not our signature and that one has no signature. Oh and there is the fact we didn't cut the checks...

5. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NOT BBT!
    NOT Wachovia!
    Not PNC either.

Citizens Bank has a presence in FL and is very business friendly.

I've been in at least 7 banks, The good small banks all got bought by big/bad banks.

7. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I've been in at least 7 banks, The good small banks all got bought by big/bad banks.
    Isn't that the truth. I forget the first two names, but back in Cali I had Bank of America, they were the forth bank I had without even switching. I had Security Pacific which bought the bank that bought my original bank and then B of A bought them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    NOT BBT!
    NOT Wachovia!
    Not PNC either.

Citizens Bank has a presence in FL and is very business friendly.

Is that synonymous with "Citizens National Bank"?

If so - my experience with them was as the one in SIM's lunch time feasco, except these guys closed at noon on Thursday's, and walk up closed at 3:00.

3:30 for the drive through!

When the farm based bank (used to business loans for sure!) opened up on the site of the arson'ed 5 & Dime spot in '81 or '82 I moved yonder!
    Still there. But Citizens has been gone from our county for decades by now.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stay local

If you need a credit card, go get a credit card

Larger banks might say they do commercial credit, but that just means for people that are larger than your average small business

Credit Unions might not be in the business banking world, so look at other local banks

11. Likes AARONT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless you have collateral to put up (machine tool, capital equipment purchase) forget it.
    Almost impossible to borrow more "un-secured" capital than you already have in the bank.
    At least at an acceptable interest rate anyways.
    I just use my AMMEX, and pay it off every 30 days. That is why I am always broke!

For capital equipment, U.S. Bank has been good to me so far..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Started with home town Bank Of Asheville, bought by North Carolina National Bank, bought by Nations Bank, bought by Bank Of America.

Now retired & do everything by computer. The few times I have been in the bank things go smoothly and quickly. Staff has been helpful.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Is that synonymous with "Citizens National Bank"?
    Don't know. I've encountered a lot of similar names in banking. Mine is this one - Citizens Bank | Personal & Business Banking, Student Loans, & Retirement

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Bank of the Northern Hemisphere (Bank of America) and have been with them for 30+ years. Well, it was University Savings & Loan, when I opened my accounts. I almost left them about 10 years ago, but they were able to resolve the (to me) major problem.
    Now I have 10 accounts with BOA, covering my personal and company banking, along with a merchant account, credit cards, etc....

I primarily use US Bank for machine tool financing (4+ machines) and Direct Capital for another. (I cannot recommend Direct Capitol AT ALL!)

The big lesson I have learned concerning banks: Get to know your banker!
    When you have a problem, he/she will be your advocate to the bank. This is A MUST.
    A good working relationship with your small business banker, will pay off in spades.

Doug.

16. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do yourself a favor. Find a local, Federal Credit Union that you can join. Better by a mile than any bank. Regards, Clark

18. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i bank with trustco, regions, suntrust. my personal is with trustco my business with regions - only because trustco isn't local to us anymore when we recently moved

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I could never understand Who came up with the bank name "Fifth Third Bank"....

21. Likes AndyF, Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My buddy just suggested suntrust. Guess i will steer clear of them. I noticed there was no one that uses Chase or Wells Fargo?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Stay local

If you need a credit card, go get a credit card

Larger banks might say they do commercial credit, but that just means for people that are larger than your average small business

Credit Unions might not be in the business banking world, so look at other local banks
    I guess my next question would be, Best Credit Card for us machine shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd find a credit union that does commercial lending. The credit union that I belong to started doing commercial lending about 8 or 10 years ago.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What little I know of Wells Fargo i wouldn't trust them with a wooden Nickel. Here of late they seem to be mired in scandal, scams, and fines. Never banked with them but they had rather high up charges to cash a check drawn on their bank.

26. Likes doug925 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TiTillIdie View Post
    My buddy just suggested suntrust. Guess i will steer clear of them. I noticed there was no one that uses Chase or Wells Fargo?
    Recommend Sun Trust? Let me see, twice I ordered checks and they never came. They closed the local branch, now the closest one is 19 miles away instead of 6. Every transaction at an ATM requires reinserting your card and re- entering your password, even as simple as checking your balance and withdrawing money is 2 transactions. The ATM machines are woefully slow on top of that, also if you make a deposit at an ATM even in cash it does not show your balance. Their website is poorly designed, it is real easy to click the wrong drop down menu. Also if you try to use the website more than once a day you often get password or username does not match errors. Sun Trust even recommends clearing cookies and cache every time you use their website. Did I miss anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    What little I know of Wells Fargo i wouldn't trust them with a wooden Nickel. Here of late they seem to be mired in scandal, scams, and fines. Never banked with them but they had rather high up charges to cash a check drawn on their bank.
    Oh right, Wachovia changed names once more and became Wells Fargo. That's a hard no on Wells Fargo.
    Before Wachovia it was First Union. Those initials weren't FU just for fun. FU bought Wachovia to get the well regarded name and get rid of the First Union stank. Didn't work for long and had to buy WF to change again. Now it's due for another change.
    Before FU it was CoreStates around here, and a half dozen other names I've forgotten.

29. Likes digger doug liked this post