What's new
What's new

What to do with old coolant/oil?

Tap_or_Die

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I have had this question for some time now. Every shop, or at least most shops, should be skimming the oil from their coolant tanks. We do the same and the skimmed oil/coolant gets put into either 5 gallon buckets or a 55 gallon drum. The question is what to do with that skimmed material after its in the barrels. At one time we had a company pick up the oil but they charged us for the service. Is there a company that will gladly accept the barrels of oil without charge? If not whats the next option? We could take 5 gallons a day to auto parts stores around the area, but I've heard they don't like that since its not fluids that are coming from cars.

Boy - this is kind of a sub heading from the other current thread eh?

Anyhow - if you have anyone in your area that has waste oil heaters, they can use this oil, but someone would need to skim it again - or leave outside to separate and freeze, and then pump the oil off the top, or ... ???

When you skim your worsher or whatnot, you will drag water with it. I sometimes will dump into a 20 gal barrel to settle for a day and then skim off the top, and put a pump in the bottom to pump down the water. If you keep the water level low enough that your skimmer isn't dragging down into it, then you get a reasonably pure waste oil that can now be burned in the heaters.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I found a thread from 2013 when I searched, but it mainly talked about why a machine was wasting so much waylube.

I have thought about the oil burner idea. We found out that most heaters like that are illegal around here, at least in the workplace.

You don't need the burner yourself.
Just fill up an old drum and give it away to someone that does have one.
You could git them to sign a packing slip for your records if that is of concern to show where it went - ass_u_ming of course that it ever existed in the first place....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You don't need the burner yourself.
Just fill up an old drum and give it away to someone that does have one.
You could git them to sign a packing slip for your records if that is of concern to show where it went - ass_u_ming of course that it ever existed in the first place....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have pondered the idea of using it as a fire starter, I know that brush piles make lots of smoke and most brush burning people like to brag about the smokiness of said fires....

Or I could spread it around like I use round up, maybe it would kill the unwanted brush in the first place.... But those are just ideas....;)

AH HA! I feel like the drive to Georgia is going to long and hard, but oh so worth the trip. I wonder what else is on that mountain...

Around here some people burn it all. I can only guess what the EPA would say, but this is Utah. I'm not sure they know which bus will get them here to check.

But most shops pay to have 500/250 gallon plastic containers removed.

R

Back