What's new
What's new

What does a $10 Million job shop look like? What departments, people?

nitrousmudbogger

Aluminum
What does your vision of a $10 million dollar yearly gross shop look like?
Mine looks something like this? I want to get there so Im mapping out who is needed to get me there. Am I forgetting people? Who? I know the quantities are subjective but this is based on my equipment etc.
Quality Control Dept (2-3 people)
Shop Manager (1 person)
Shop Forearm (1 person/ shift)
Sales Dept (3-6 people)
Shipping Dept (1-3 people)
24/ 7 operation
Maintenance person (1 person)
Repair person (1 person)
Full time programmers (3-5 people)
Full time set up machinists (1-2 people/ shift)
Full time operators (5-8 people/ shift)
CFO
Vice President of operations
Office Staff (3-5 people)

Yearly gross, obviously everything is subjective. But what staff people do you see in the business is more of what Im looking for not total dollar figure or what I make

So many variables but that would be too many people for my line of work.

I would think you're heavy on both sales and programming regardless.

Well, if you're managing to somehow gross $10mil in sales with only a dozen people actually making parts, I guess something must be going right.

It can be done especially with the right contract making production for other companies. Now as far as team your on the right track. The biggest thing would be probably 4-6 setup guys depending on complexity of parts etc. Then I would have my machines setup so less operators so they can feed raw material and check parts every 5 or so with quality checks. That would be implying that QC comes around takes random parts and does a 100% inspect of a certain number. Also a thing 1 company I worked for as a Setup guy. The operator would have to do 1-5 parts a hour at 100% QC Checks depending on part size and complexity of course. Don't want a bunch of them mad because they can't keep up, but also don't let them be slackers either. Must be held accountable for their parts. It could work by moving personal numbers to accommodate for work load.

What does your vision of a $10 million dollar yearly gross shop look like?
Mine looks something like this? I want to get there so Im mapping out who is needed to get me there. Am I forgetting people? Who? I know the quantities are subjective but this is based on my equipment etc.
Quality Control Dept (2-3 people)
Shop Manager (1 person)
Shop Forearm (1 person/ shift)
Sales Dept (3-6 people)
Shipping Dept (1-3 people)
24/ 7 operation
Maintenance person (1 person)
Repair person (1 person)
Full time programmers (3-5 people)
Full time set up machinists (1-2 people/ shift)
Full time operators (5-8 people/ shift)
CFO
Vice President of operations
Office Staff (3-5 people)

I can't comment on the other items, but with respect to the highlighted item above: in general, for 1 person / shift you're more likely to get two forearms rather than just one. There are of course exceptions, but I don't think you will want to discriminate against those who happen to have two instead of just one.

:):):)

So I total 60 peeps.
1 maintenance and 1 repair for a 3 shift operation?
Where is human resources and health and safety handled? The rules and paperwork grow a lot at this size.
Shipping seems light along with QC.
Remember that people take vacations or call in sick. This needs backup staff. All across the board you have to cover the blank spots.
No engineering and I see no one to process quotes.
Office staff number may be a bit low but they are low cost.
Bob

Why plan for so many employees? People are expensive. Robots have the potential to be more reliable.

Gross sales may not be the best performance indicator. I would be more concerned with profit, and when I could sell out and retire.

Yearly gross, obviously everything is subjective. But what staff people do you see in the business is more of what Im looking for not total dollar figure or what I make

Sales Dept (3-6 people) and you don't think what you make is relevant?

What, who and how many you need depends 100% on what you make.

I think there is way too few people running production to support the rest of the work force.

"Job shop" doesn't tell us anything. What are you making, and in what lot quantities?

A ten million dollar shop may only need one sales, if it is doing one million dollar per PO jobs. It might need twenty, if it is chasing onesies-twosies.

Our volume isn't in machined parts, but that's about the sales we do, with

Five engineers
Two office
One inside sales
One outside sales
One support
One shipping
One maintenance
One custodian
Seven on the floor

But we're highly automated.

I think there is way too few people running production to support the rest of the work force.

This never gets old :)

A Japanese company and a North American company decided to have a canoe race on the St. Lawrence River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile. The North Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.

A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the North American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing. So, North American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

To prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team’s management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder.

It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program“, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices, and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles. Humiliated, the North American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments in new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year’s racing team was outsourced to India.

Sales Dept (3-6 people) and you don't think what you make is relevant?

What, who and how many you need depends 100% on what you make.

Im saying not relevant to you, I know what we build and how to get there. Just asking if im missing a person to clean toilets, or web programmer, or something. what others have people doing in what positions

Person to clean toilets is the best investment we've ever made.

He also sweeps, mops, mows, weeds, salts, paints, changes lightbulbs and ballasts, empties trash cans etc.

Back