Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    How many people gave an acceptable answer? I think that question caught them off guard, especially if it came before discussions of job duties, pay and opportunities for advancement.
    All the ones I hired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I have had the same machines for ages, but was exposed to somewhat of a small variety of them over the years when working for the man yet I don't recall a machine that didn't have the make and generation of control in plain sight like on the bezel around the CRT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    While I would agree with that for the most part, my Siemens don't have any models shown on the outside.

... my older Mits doesn't either....

Can't recall for sure on the Dynapath's?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I have ran mostly Fanucs and Yasnacs other than a few oddballs on CNC mills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    You don't know the control type? If you want to call that "hitting a wall" it's an easy enough wall to climb over. Try reading the operator's manual for the control. If they won't let you do that, take a night course.
    I remember working 3rd shift at a shop, I was bored, had my 3 machines up and running, long run times in each, so I was sitting on a stool reading a book about Turret Lathes. Got my ass reamed up down left and right. I thought it was because I was reading about Turret Lathes. Found out later the supervisor didn't know what one was anyway...

Sorry, just thought of that when I read your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I remember working 3rd shift at a shop, I was bored, had my 3 machines up and running, long run times in each, so I was sitting on a stool reading a book about Turret Lathes. Got my ass reamed up down left and right. I thought it was because I was reading about Turret Lathes.
    How much longer did you last after that? I think I would have just walked out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're looking for someone right now. Just like they teach you in kindergarten: Be honest, and attitude is everything. It's weird when you get applicants that act like they really don't want a job...

My favorite was one that we shook his hand and asked what his background was?
    "I've got a felony."
    Not what we were asking but thank-you.

6. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to tailor my resume for different size companies.
    Smaller company = less B.S. straight to the point. Heavy on the boiler plate stuff...Fanuc, Yasnac, Siemens, Powermill, Gibbscam, etc. Setup, operate, offsets, troubleshoot...etc.
    Most likely the guy who is gonna interview you is familiar with all of what I mentioned. Don't try to bullshit your way through ...you will be found out. I used to bring my calculator to these interviews. If asked speeds and feeds....here you go.
    Larger company....the person who you need to get your resume past first quite possibly doesnt know the difference between a lathe and a mill. Be 100% on your spelling and grammar. Add a few things about Team sports, boy scouts, volunteer work, continuing ed...that sort of stuff is what the HR person finds interesting. Then add all the stuff from above. That is what will get you the interview with the person that the HR person passes your resume to.
    Always add any additional duties such as...." was responsible for locking up and securing the facility at the end of my shift"
    Doesnt seem like much....but it shows someone trusted you.... certainly trusted you more than the ones they didnt give a key to. First aid / first responder training.

8. Likes michiganbuck, M.B. Naegle, Yan Wo liked this post