What Kind of Printer and Ink For Labels?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What Kind of Printer and Ink For Labels?

Oh the joys of keeping customers happy. One of our customers has new labeling requirements. This is what they are wanting:

Label must be made from non-brittle, synthetic face stock. A synthetic (polyester,
    polypropylene, or Kimdura)-based label with an aggressive permanent acrylic or other
    high performance adhesive is recommended to provide a highly durable, waterproof,
    scratch resistant label that can withstand indoor and outdoor storage in adverse
    temperature and humidity conditions. The face stock should be highly opaque so that
    the component surface is not visible thought the label. Direct thermal printing with no
    ribbon is not allowed. Black carbon-based inks are recommended to ensure they are readable
    with infrared scanners.

What kind of printer and label do I need for this?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You want to get a P Touch label maker and use the TZ tapes. Labels stand up to years of direct sunlight and I have use the clear tape with black letters to stick directly on the outdoor gauges. I also stick them on test items that are run at 150C for days with no problems. I haven't found any other label system to beat 'em.

3. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1st question is how big are the labels?

The Brother PTD series PC-connectable label makers can print up to one inch wide and the labels with extra strong adhesive are very durable.

Here is one model.

PT-D600 | MobilePrintersLabelers | LabelMakersPrinters | By Brother

I see Pathogen beat me to the punch while I was typing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like dyes which can fade in sunlight not wanted. mineral pigments like carbon dont fade in sunlight usually
    its like interior paint and exterior paint. interior paint pigments usually cannot withstand sunlight without fading and peeling paint
    cheap printer ink if printing photograph the colors can fade or change easily after only a few years

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on the Brother. The D600 is what we use.

I'd just ask the customer what they recommend though. That will prevent them from complaining later when something isn't just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    +1 on the Brother. The D600 is what we use.

I'd just ask the customer what they recommend though. That will prevent them from complaining later when something isn't just right.
    This ^^^^ Make them spec it. Avery makes these in many sizes and I print them on my color laser.

Amazon.com : Avery UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels for Laser Printers, Waterproof, UV Resistant, 8.5" x 11", 50 Pack (60501), White : Office Products