What's new
What's new

What position would I be hiring for- Website development/maintenance, marketing, etc?

Garwood

Diamond
I've hired plenty of shop help, but never any office people. I have outsourced website stuff which has gone OK, but I have numerous different products in different industries that all could use better online presence. I would rather be in the shop than stuck in the office.

I try not to do retail stuff over the phone, saving my phone time for after sale support when email isn't working. I can't just not have a phone number (tried that) and some people go irate if they can't talk to a person.

I'd like to hire a person full time to do all the online stuff. Could also include uploading/editing/shooting marketing videos, fielding phone calls (not many), helping out with packaging/shipping.

Would these responsibilities be appropriate for one person to handle?

What would I call a position like this?

Does anyone else have experience hiring for a similar position- How did it go?

Sounds like a 21st century inside salesman who is expected to help in the shipping department if needed.

Technically, you're looking for a marketing director with web dev experience. Unfortunately, the pros will want $$$ and will balk at doing shipping.

As a business owner, only you know your products and their fit. So unfortunately, you need to get someone clever who has gumption to want to learn your business as well as you as well as help with shipping.

If you want a 21st century super worker for a low cost, look for a recent college grad from a local marketing program nearby. Prioritize web design experience and ask for a portfolio of work. Label the position "Marketing Analyst", that way you can "grow" the position in title and recognition as accomplishments are met.

Spend time working with the newbie to learn your business. Have him/her draft marketing copy for your products and examine them to see if the copy fits with what you know. Adjust accordingly.

I don't know enough of your business to give pointers on where to direct you for digital work. Can you elaborate more? I'd me happy to suggest e-commerce channels for your online stuff.

To be honest, I'd enjoy a job like this. Lot of potential for scaling up an effective digital sales position. XD

Seems to me the Web-oriented stuff is the only thing a bright kid couldn't pick up pretty fast?

Not sure where you are in Oregon, but the major colleges will have recent or soon-to-be graduates from three possible areas. First film / media production. Second, web development / lightweight computer/sofware work. And, as noted above, marketing.

You might also find a recent retiree or layed-off person with digital photography skills, a pleasant phone presence, and just enough Web experience to fill in whatever Web templates you have?

Are planning to grow your company or keep it a smallish operation? That makes a difference in how you pitch the position - and who you want to hire.

Back