Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Another spot on rant. Go, Bill!

Roadkill is prob the best meat to be had around here. Grouse is my favorite. Mating season rolls around, males dazed and confused, despondent at lack of luck? No matter, cars don't care. Still warm, legs and breast come off/out with a quick yank, into the pan with garlic and a little bacon fat. Mmm.

I do wish they'd develop their leg strength a bit more, though.

Our Legislature transferred responsibility and authority for all the nonhuman beasts in the State to Fish and Game, so they "own" the wildlife. (Until they eat my orchard.) Taking a deer carcass off the road is a finable offense. OK to walk around in the woods and actively kill 'em, but taking already dead off the road and eating them is illegal. Go figure.
    Roadkill is the same deer you hunt when in season ?

I was out picking off a pesky groundhog (sitting in my friends tree stand with a 22) and the farmer renter had just left the field, having sprayed it with glyphophate (beans that year)

Mama deer comes out of woods less than 20' from me.

Wanders over to edge of field, and starts munching on the beans....still wet with glyphosphate.

Yup, roadkill and venison sure are "natural"....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    You forgot the big new one - Obama care.

Its actually a health care tax cleverly hidden as insurance premiums that get larger based on income. If you are in the sweet spot for this, your effective tax rate is about 75% all in.
    Do you also call a nine year old child a baby? Obamacare went into effect in March of 2010 so it's almost 10 years old. I can hardly wait to see what trump will come up with to replace it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Do you also call a nine year old child a baby? Obamacare went into effect in March of 2010 so it's almost 10 years old. I can hardly wait to see what trump will come up with to replace it.
    "Personal Responsibility" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    They'll do a next day hip/knee replacement on a 90yr old ready to die, but a healthy 40yr old with a busted knee could be waiting years.
    Really?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Sounds just like the E-R (emergency room) here, if not life threatening you wait all day, while more seriously injured people keep going in.
    It is called an emergency room for a reason. If you have a cold or flu you should go to a doctor, not an emergency room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    We are taxed to death here in America, and most working folks are too naive to realize it.

Here's a rundown of just some of what we workers pay:

federal income tax

state income tax

Social Security tax (with our employer having to match)

Medicare tax (same matching by employer)

AND ALL THE FOLLOWING ARE PAID WITH MONEY THAT HAS ALREADY HAD THE ABOVE TAXES TAKEN OUT:

property taxes (every year, and are on house, land, cars, equipment...)

state sales tax (food, clothing, cars, restaurant meals, literally everything we buy!)

utility taxes (water, sewer, phone, internet, electricity, natural gas...)

annual DMV taxes

gasoline tax

road tolls

airline ticket and airport taxes

business profit tax (if you own one, and are lucky enough to make a profit)

I can go on, but you get the idea.

So for the working class in America, we are LUCKY to net 50% of what we earn.

Now the lazy class in America have it a little better, with all their free government handout shit, but they too have to pay all the taxes on the list above, below those that workers pay obviously.
    There are nearly 200 counties on the planet earth. Where are you moving to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Odd place for a thread like this. It sure looks like it belongs in the manufacturing in the usa and europe section if history is any guide.

8. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    "Personal Responsibility" ?
    Good luck with that. I spent the weekend canoeing with a group of people. One couple was telling of being borderline diabetic but were drinking lots of alcohol and eating foods that don't really jive with the diabetic diet. I expect that next year they will be shooting insulin and eating and drinking as usual.

10. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with that. I spent the weekend canoeing with a group of people. One couple was telling of being borderline diabetic but were drinking lots of alcohol and eating foods that don't really jive with the diabetic diet. I expect that next year they will be shooting insulin and eating and drinking as usual.
    And those will be the protesters....

12. Likes Alloy Mcgraw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just for comparison, I figure I pay about 25% in China. That's by careful research of all the factors, however. You could easily pay a lot more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    ...it is simply that the government doesn't trust the employees to pay all their taxes here, so they put that responsibility (and associated administrative costs) on the companies themselves, easy for the government, but IMO a bad practice in general - makes the general work force unaware of how much they actually cost to the company and how much of their cost is really payed to the government...
    Tax collection via stealth. It's the law here too.

...some companies even give out annual reports to employees, just that 90% of that category are too ignorant to do the math or comprehend where that tax money has to come from, which then may lead to poor work ethic or worse
    Plenty of employees in the USA think their tax refund is some kind of bonus from the government. I've tried in the past to explain to some of mine that they're only being paid back a no-interest loan that they made to the government for a year, but some of them just don't get it and never will.

...there is a reason why like 20% of said people have left their home countries (or had left at some point) for greener pastures in other EU countries, but the topic of macroeconomics of exUSSR states is probably beyond the subject of this topic, and too depressing, so I'll stop here
    Based on your excellent interpretation of employer-withheld taxes you would certainly be successful here. We could use more like you.

15. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i thought I would post this for those who think they are in a 28 or 35% bracket in the US. The rate is 24% for single filers from about 82K to 157K. Of course many of he people here are probably making way more than that.

It's pretty easy to lower your tax rate. Just lower your income.

How to find out what tax bracket you'''re in under the new tax law

17. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's pretty easy to lower your tax rate. Just lower your income.
    That reminds me of trying to establish an Improvement and Service District here years ago to get the street paved. Several property owners complained that any improvement that would increase their property value would (gasp) raise their property taxes. A few years previously they had opposed the city sewer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    That reminds me of trying to establish an Improvement and Service District here years ago to get the street paved. Several property owners complained that any improvement that would increase their property value would (gasp) raise their property taxes. A few years previously they had opposed the city sewer.
    Yes, I don't see your point.

Keeping taxes (and sewers are mandatory payment, same as taxes) low is not a crime.

Putting up with dirt roads, private septic tank maint, and controlling your own water well
    is just the price you pay.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and you wonder why the Millennials could give a fat rat's ass

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    We have dealt with similar issues at our lakefront cottage. Private road serving about 50 homes/cottages. It was gravel for years and the guy who graded it for donations was getting tired of it. Someone decided we should get it paved. This was about 25 years ago. Got quotes and it was decided that if everyone put $500 towards the cost we could pave the road. Only about 2/3 of the property owners were willing to donate and that wasn't enough to do a full paving but the paving company said they could do the base coat and skip the finish coat for what we collected. It was a huge improvement but the base coat started to deteriorate in a few years.

Once again we asked for donations and only about 2/3 were willing to donate and someone found out that if we could get a petition signed by 1/2 + 1 of the residents we could put it on our property tax bills. That happened in short order.

We had been doing the same thing with weed control. Finally it was decided to send a petition around and put it on the tax bill. It worked well but once it was mandated by taxes the price started to climb fast so in some ways it may have been better to not put it on the tax rolls.