What's new
What's new

What are some habits/traits that have cost you too much?

turnworks

Cast Iron
Curious as to what some have come across that always seems to bite you in the butt.

Personally I always cost myself when a machine breaks down and I don't slow down and take my time to logically figure out the issue. I end up using the shotgun style thinking one of these parts has to be the issue. Most times it works but always costs me much more than if I just slowed down before ordering parts.

I try to save money by doing everything myself. Doesn't always work out that way.

A friend once said when I was asked to machine a part, he figured my first thought was where to mine the ore.

I must be a real mess, I can identify with most of the above.

I'd add grossly underestimated and much time and effort things can take.

then there are character traits....

Joe is sitting in the interview room and HR guy has his list of questions.

"What would you say is your worst character trait?"

"well, I think I'm probably too honest"

"Really, I wouldn't think that was a negative"

"Why the fuck would I care what you think?"

Being OCD about shit that doesn't matter.

Like the precision of EMT conduit runs down a wall...

...or the color of the chip conveyor versus the machine...to as simple as safety mats being perfectly square to the machine.

Yep, lots of time and $$ over the years!

ToolCat

Bad housekeeping burns me every time.
I wind up buying things I already have, because I can't find them, or stalling jobs waiting for tooling I "thought" I had.

Trying to do everything myself. Although, in 1984, I began having legal employees, and that has helped.
And taking jobs even though I know the budget is too small.
I have learned to say no without actually saying no, and scare away the jobs that will be unprofitable, and involve clients that will be a pain in the ass.

Curious as to what some have come across that always seems to bite you in the butt.

Personally I always cost myself when a machine breaks down and I don't slow down and take my time to logically figure out the issue. I end up using the shotgun style thinking one of these parts has to be the issue. Most times it works but always costs me much more than if I just slowed down before ordering parts.

Beer, I've spent thousands on it in my lifetime :D

Back