What's new
What's new

What are you making these days? Some fab shop pics from our place

Mcgyver

Diamond
Not a management issue, more just showing some of my pride in the team....here's a couple of current projects just finishing up. A medium size box girder crane and a lugger truck body. Apparently we've got an 80ton crane coming in, 110' long, 5' box girder - that'll be a LARGE one! The truck is being painted as I write this. I mess about machining and sticking metal together for kicks in my home shop, but these are the people who really know what they are doing. Anyway, I thought you guys and gals might get a kick of seeing some of our stuff

y5BRDnH.jpg

5HqZWG8.jpg

I applaud people that work on the bigger stuff. Anything bigger than a double hand full wasn't my cup of tea.

Yes, metal and plastic parts. I worked in job shops my entire career making small to medium sized parts. I never did get into the fabrication side of things,hence my statement about a double hand full.

Yes, metal and plastic parts. I worked in job shops my entire career making small to medium sized parts. I never did get into the fabrication side of things,hence my statement about a double hand full.

Ah, so.. Language barrier, then.

A "British Standard Double Handful" is a software specification, pneumatic goods, warmware subclass, and more often exceeded than not, current era.

:D

:cloud9:Are DD's a double handfull?, or is each a double handfull?

Relying a powerful heap on my memory...... spring of '67? Before synthetics became all the rage.

"Hazard to navigation". And the reason for the avoidance, thereafter.

Much preferred the perkier, on-point scholars who displayed firm "A"'s and "B"'s in their course work, actually.

More alert and "situationally aware!"

As with fine wines, they age a great deal more pleasingly as well.

Relying a powerful heap on my memory...... spring of '67? Before synthetics became all the rage.

"Hazard to navigation". And the reason for the avoidance, thereafter.

Much preferred the perkier, on-point scholars who displayed firm "A"'s and "B"'s in their course work, actually.

More alert and "situationally aware!"

As with fine wines, they age a great deal more pleasingly as well.

DD -> Double Long. Not a great look.

I've been away from my main home for 2 months now, looking forward to getting back.....

PDW

I don't have any pics to share, but one of the last parts I programmed was roughly 5/8 x 1 x 1 inches with an oblong .032 x .078 slot thru! LoL Different worlds I guess. A big tap for us is 6-32, with most of them 4-40 and 2-56 and a sprinkling of 0-80's :D

I don't have any pics to share, but one of the last parts I programmed was roughly 5/8 x 1 x 1 inches with an oblong .032 x .078 slot thru! LoL Different worlds I guess. A big tap for us is 6-32, with most of them 4-40 and 2-56 and a sprinkling of 0-80's :D

Last part I modified was about .072" x .100" with an .017" x .025" full radius slot... Last thread I did was M2.5 x .45....

Horses for courses, and all. :D

Here is what I have been doing. The first are some 303 stainless turned parts- Large ones are about 4" od.

IMG_0852.jpg

And these are rifle scope ring bases for scope rings that I make and sell.
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
cz 457a (2).jpg

Looks great !

1. Is it hand polished or tumbled or something ?
2. Is it a high-volume part ?
(A2 maybe indicates limited speed and lifetime volume, less than 200k total / 100k year, as a wag from me.
Otoh at lower speeds maybe such molds can last much longer ... )

That size in steel might get 100 hits/minute, in steel sheet, from my previous clients comments.
A 20 l paint can was 80 hits / min.

A tuna fish can was 300 hits (++..) / minute.
Those dies were solid carbide.

Not looking for any inside info, not in the mold biz, just like the part and any details you feel ok sharing.

I was always impressed with the guys here in Spain who made auto parts molds.
(Or the tuna cans, or similar).
And the owners and workers were usually very easy and pleasant to talk to, and fairly free with details.
They knew perfectly well we would not spread exact details to any other shop, ever, as it would be commercial ruin.
And no info we could see or ask would allow anyone to get into the mold-making business on their own.

--
4. Do You also design the mold ?
Well done !

40aea2167fe0c91df07f761b3520ee71.jpg
here is a pair of automotive stamping die details I’ve been working on A-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No I didn’t do the design These blocks were crashed I used the supplied data they started out 660 pounds and finished at 203 pounds each I semi polished them before heat treat sent them out for vac. Heat treating then finished polishing I think they are Honda details they do automotive stamping I think about 40 to 50 strokes a minute about 800 tons
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back