What's new
What's new

Defense production act

Corry

Plastic
anyone know how this works? I want to “sign up” if I can. I’m in a pretty unique situation to have this not cause me any real issues, and I want to help. We need ventilators....

Yes, I’m well versed in google. It didn’t turn much up. Yes, I can see the government can make businesses prioritize government contracts, but does this mean they’ll be putting out rfq’s? Is there some other mechanism used? Do they look for every business registered as a particular type (manufacturing/machining)? There’s a lot of options. They could just use existing normal contractors I suppose, but we know in the past we had multiple businesses of various types convert to making weapons. Everyone talks about that happening, not much about how it happened.

There's usually a War Production Board Chairman. He hands out DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD's presented by the War Production Board.

The award should go to this guy as soon as it can be assembled in a frame.

YouTube

Stay healthy. We need everyone in November.

John

Yes, I’m well versed in google. It didn’t turn much up. Yes, I can see the government can make businesses prioritize government contracts, but does this mean they’ll be putting out rfq’s? Is there some other mechanism used? Do they look for every business registered as a particular type (manufacturing/machining)? There’s a lot of options. They could just use existing normal contractors I suppose, but we know in the past we had multiple businesses of various types convert to making weapons. Everyone talks about that happening, not much about how it happened.

what they will more than likley do is use there Military/ government and aerospace suppliers and medical suppliers for the parts as well as KNOWN certified shops . those shops will inturn do the work or send it out if need be. That way a it can be CONTROLLED made with in tolorance and everything is made by spec.

They arent going to be calling every Tom Dick or Harry or will even take a quote from every Tom dick or Harry.
I mean shit can you imagine the issues with that we see it here on PM all the time.
shit like, Thread gages are too expensive i''l use a chinese bolt. What do you mean its out of tolerance, its close enough and your tol was unnecessary anyway , Well we didnt like your material as it was too hard to cut so were using (pic something you like to cut).. Heat treat we did it with a torch and dipped it in oil too cool its close enough. Clean room, yup put kitty litter on the dog piss this morning and swept it into the corner were good to go. and the list goes on and on.

My only experience with this, was working in a defense/aero shop & processing new orders as they came in. Most orders had a "DPAS" rating, which would basically indicate which jobs would take priority in the event of a declared national emergency.

It meant that the job rated DX__ got bumped to the top of the schedule, and lower ranking jobs took a back seat.

For the average joe, this likely means nothing.

Since the supplies needed are mainly medical equipment & PPE in nature, the work is going to government contractors already doing business with the government, and their sub-contractors. It may trickle down from there.

My personal thought on this, is that there probably aren't too many precision-machined parts in ventilators & face-masks.

IF however you know of medical manufacturers nearby, start phoning them up and ask If they have any machining jobs. Or, go buy an injection molding press, or something that can make medical-equipment or PPE parts...

Hopefully another push toward bringing back the manufacturing of essential products, generic medications, PPE, electronics and such.
China already threatened to stop shipments of medications millions of Americans depend on every day, time to get serious about this war threat.
How it ever got to be this way in the first place is treason, and sadly those same traitors who sold out America are currently being bailed out again with billions/trillions.

The USA has the power(ok maybe half the USA) to emerge out of this stronger, better, and faster than most other countries. Canada, not so much anymore.

Last edited:
If you do your best to shut down imports from a country, why is it wrong for them to help you in your efforts? :rolleyes5:

It sounds like you don't know the difference between auto parts and antibiotics.

Withholding lifesaving products during an emergency to leverage trade deals has long been considered an international crime. As China brags about falling numbers they can't at the same time claim they are withholding products scheduled for the American market to serve a domestic emergency. While a certain country and some international organizations feel they are in the cat bird seat at this time, in retrospect they may discover that they have sabotaged their own long term goals. The current situation is causing a paradigm shift, but not in the way they hoped. There is broad bipartisan support for converting many critical supplies from overseas to domestic production. Even supplies from countries that are not hostile can be a problem when borders are closed. Currently there is a shortage of the Black Elderberries used to make Elderberry syrup due to closed borders in Europe. The syrup is popular as an immune system booster, especially in winter.

Hopefully another push toward bringing back the manufacturing of essential products, generic medications, PPE, electronics and such.
China already threatened to stop shipments of medications millions of Americans depend on every day, time to get serious about this war threat.
How it ever got to be this way in the first place is treason, and sadly those same traitors who sold out America are currently being bailed out again with billions/trillions.

The USA has the power(ok maybe half the USA) to emerge out of this stronger, better, and faster than most other countries. Canada, not so much anymore.

Treason is giving aid and comfort to an enemy in time of war. I'd bet that only one party needs to declare that war (even secretly) and anyone who knowingly aids them is guilty of treason. In the case of these corporations I think it would be hard to make a case of treason vs greed but in a few other cases it perhaps could.

One hypothetical case would be where a hostile foreign power aimed to destroy the economy and ability to mount a national defense of another country and a citizen of the targeted country, with full knowledge of the intended goals participated in the destruction of his own country. Such participation might include DELIBERATE spreading of misinformation or falsified data intended to cripple the country. To make a case for treason it would require proof of both malicious action AND knowing that the effect of that action would benefit a foreign nation with hostile intent.

It sounds like you don't know the difference between auto parts and antibiotics.

Withholding lifesaving products during an emergency to leverage trade deals has long been considered an international crime. As China brags about falling numbers they can't at the same time claim they are withholding products scheduled for the American market to serve a domestic emergency. While a certain country and some international organizations feel they are in the cat bird seat at this time, in retrospect they may discover that they have sabotaged their own long term goals. The current situation is causing a paradigm shift, but not in the way they hoped. There is broad bipartisan support for converting many critical supplies from overseas to domestic production. Even supplies from countries that are not hostile can be a problem when borders are closed. Currently there is a shortage of the Black Elderberries used to make Elderberry syrup due to closed borders in Europe. The syrup is popular as an immune system booster, especially in winter.

Do you have cites for any/all of those statements?

I'll give you a starter for ten:- The elderberry season in the northern hemisphere is from August to September...

If you do your best to shut down imports from a country, why is it wrong for them to help you in your efforts? :rolleyes5:

Bigger question if why would the USA want/need help from the very country that sent them and the entire world this virus in the first place.
China is only in a position to make those drugs, and some other necessary equipment, and hold us hostage by stopping supply, because we were dumb enough to give them the work in the first place. Time's long overdue to cut that out.

Don't worry, I don't expect you to understand.

A good amount of traitors are the ones passing laws.

"No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session." - Gideon John Tucker

This is a Zahl tube, designed, of course, by a gent named Zahl. It's claim to fame is that it is a self contained 6oo mcs transmitter, hook filament and plate voltages to it and a radar signal comes out. During the Korean unpleasantness the Army needed mortar locators, so Zahl designed it and Eitel McCullogh made them in record time. When I was helping in displays for the Antique Radio Collectors and Historians, I would show it for my own devious reasons. People always asked about, giving me the opening for my pitch. A little background, then pointing out that during WWII and Korea, we had GE, Westinghouse, Eitel McCullogh, Raytheon, Sylvania, RCA, and countless others who made the stuff here. In the WWII MIT Radiation Lab period, all they had to do was ask for something and it appeared.

We have fought two wars with China in my lifetime. Are we so naive that we think that in the next one the factories we are building there will belong to us? When people are closing an auditorium, they blink the lights as a warning. The lights just blinked and we damned well better heed the warning.

Zahl.jpg

Bill

There is broad bipartisan support for converting many critical supplies from overseas to domestic production.

And that broad bipartisan support will evaporate when someone offers the foreign parts for $1.00/1,000 cheaper. It's one of capitalism's shortcomings.

Back