What's new
What's new

What was your bonus this year?

That was really cool ! Extremely generous. No bonus here, self employed. But after 22 years still self employed so maybe that's a bonus in and of itself. :-)

That's nice...But future expectations you know.

The thrill and appreciation may wear off come next year if those envelopes aren't quite as heavy.

Unfortunately many people come to expect a bonus, and don't really understand what the word actually means...Or why a bonus might be more/less on any given year.

Can breed resentment.

many companies give yearly bonus thats based on how well company doing.
with auto industry being effected by change to electric cars and massive worldwide layoffs expected to be hugh (like 10-100x the effect of tariffs), i would expect bonuses to be minimum and lucky to still have a job in many places.

That's nice...But future expectations you know.

The thrill and appreciation may wear off come next year if those envelopes aren't quite as heavy.

Unfortunately many people come to expect a bonus, and don't really understand what the word actually means...Or why a bonus might be more/less on any given year.

Can breed resentment.

Agreed, but it also matters 'why' there is a bonus

Many companies basically underpay their employees and then profit share or bonus them up.

Works until the bean counters get involved.

This seems like it was clear a one timish event, with the build up and surprise factor

What I liked, personally, two things

The obvious appreciation so lacking today, by the owner, of the regular people.

That the decision was made to do it just by service time. Maintenance guy got a big check.

Very nice for the employees. If my math is correct, $10 million is 00286% of the $3.5 billion worth of the company. It didn't hurt the bottom line very much.

Paul

Very nice for the employees. If my math is correct, $10 million is 00286% of the $3.5 billion worth of the company. It didn't hurt the bottom line very much.

Paul

$3.5B is the value of their portfolio, we don't know anything about how much revenue they derive from it, nor how much debt they carry on it. Top line is likely somewhere from $100M~$500M which makes more sense for a 200-employee real estate company.

It is a very nice gesture, I'm wondering if it will have any long-term repercussions, and if so, how strongly the positive (employee appreciation, overall happiness, etc.) outweigh the negative ones (resentment, altered expectations/entitlement, etc.) over time. No question a big windfall at the right time can change lives, but what happens to the lady who bought herself a corvette, not predicting that she might need that money for something big in a few years? End of the year, she's in trouble, no bonus, of course not, she squandered the first one, spiral of despair...

I'm honestly curious to see what happens next more than anything.

Its nice, but the poor maintenance guy now bumped into a much higher tax bracket with little to no time to talk to a financial planner and get things in order to help minimize his new tax burden. In reality a huge bonus like that for alot of people that normally probably dont make half that much might be better setup into an account to pay less, but pay every year.

But then I'm self employed and a christmas bonus for me means working my arse off through March..

Its nice, but the poor maintenance guy now bumped into a much higher tax bracket with little to no time to talk to a financial planner and get things in order to help minimize his new tax burden. In reality a huge bonus like that for alot of people that normally probably dont make half that much might be better setup into an account to pay less, but pay every year.

But then I'm self employed and a christmas bonus for me means working my arse off through March..

Cash is not the big deal.

Had they given him a Lambo or a house he would have had to sell it for the taxes

Like all of us, a chunk will go to taxes.

HE actually has time as some retirement deposits can be made well after the 31st

Companies being extra generous to their employees with bonuses 3rd year in a row, its almost as if the tax cuts are being appreciated and shared, booming economy doesn't hurt either eh.

Here's to 5 more!

Companies being extra generous to their employees with bonuses 3rd year in a row, its almost as if the tax cuts are being appreciated and shared, booming economy doesn't hurt either eh.

Here's to 5 more!

Amen to that!

We give a smallish cash bonus, but most of the participatory reward is in the form of good wages all year long. Oh, and we shut the plant down December 19th and give everybody (twelve people) a paid vacay through New Years. An extra vacay, not their earned one.

We give a smallish cash bonus, but most of the participatory reward is in the form of good wages all year long. Oh, and we shut the plant down December 19th and give everybody (twelve people) a paid vacay through New Years. An extra vacay, not their earned one.

That's a very generous gesture.

i have worked at place where they did not want to give out a permanent pay raise. they rather give $500. to $3000. bonus depending on how good they think you did that year
literally people got different bonus amount. those who boss thought were doing better job got more rewarded for it.

That's a very generous gesture.

Thank you, but they earn it. The cash value of paid vacation is obviously not the same for everybody, but for some the time off is priceless. We tried the bonus-in-lieu-of-raises some years ago but people tend to think of their straight hourly rate as the main validation of their worth. To me a decent wage and bennies without overtime carries more weight than, "I made $150K last year" when the soul-crushing overtime is conveniently never mentioned.

Back