What's new
What's new

What is your rolled up cost for electric?

huleo

Hot Rolled
We are examining electric cost in a couple areas here. I know that the "rate" is only half the equation and demand charges can get right in there as is "other costs" that they like to wiggle in.

So, I would be curious how you guys are structured and your location? I am looking for total rolled up cost! What we do is VERY simple. Take the total bill divided by the KWH used.

3 phase service here from AEP Ohio. Last months bill was .214 a KWH. With electric deregulation here in Ohio, the power comes from another provider. The power cost is .056/KWH.

$.12 per KWH, single phase I run phase converters, Beaverdam in Central Virginia. My bill doesn't have any itemizations and my power comes from the local nuke plant a dozen or so miles away. No demand charges or tiers.

I have 2 buildings, $.26 in one, $.16 in the other. Not sure why.

Only in California. Is it the same provider? I was in two different places in Riverside, not very far from each other, but one was hooked up to a Co-op (cheap) the other SCE (expensive). Even if the same provider maybe they are hooked to a different power grid.

Only in California. Is it the same provider? I was in two different places in Riverside, not very far from each other, but one was hooked up to a Co-op (cheap) the other SCE (expensive). Even if the same provider maybe they are hooked to a different power grid.

Buildings are next to each other. Same everything. I need to look into this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like what I find.

Buildings are next to each other. Same everything. I need to look into this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like what I find.

Maybe you should not say anything. I have a feeling if you do the 16 cent price will get raised to 26, not the 26 cent price lowered to 16. Unless you are in a Co-op, 16 cents seems awful cheap for So Cal.

21 cents a kwh

if there is a great difference in usage, there can be a big difference in $/kwh. Some of the fees might be fixed monthly so low usage would be higher per kwh

I looked over my bills, now I have a headache. I use more power in one building than the other, so it looks like the bullshit charges are way out of proportion. Actual energy cost is about 6-1/2 cents. Tack on the bend over charge, the FU charge, the extra charge and it's tripled of quadrupled.

You 20 cent guys in Ohio - really?

Can I please git'chew to qualify this a bit for me?

Are you small users that the min charges for this and that are not amoritising out well?

Or are you very large users with high demands?
But even with high "demand" fees, generally the base rate is lower, and it should worsh out.

???

I am on single phase here and a co-op, and last I knew - we were around $.14 I think?

Before de-reg I was paying $.08 and the big gorilla was $.14 plus demand.
Now, 20 yrs on - the co-op is around $.14 and the giant is down around $.12 I think.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You 20 cent guys in Ohio - really?

Can I please git'chew to qualify this a bit for me?

Are you small users that the min charges for this and that are not amoritising out well?

Or are you very large users with high demands?
But even with high "demand" fees, generally the base rate is lower, and it should worsh out.

???

I am on single phase here and a co-op, and last I knew - we were around $.14 I think?

Before de-reg I was paying $.08 and the big gorilla was $.14 plus demand.
Now, 20 yrs on - the co-op is around $.14 and the giant is down around $.12 I think.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You have a lot of BIG HP iron in that shop of yours, what do you have for incoming single phase power? What size transformer? What are you running for converters??

maybe we should defy the OP and split it out, sounds like people want to know

1357 kwh 121/160 nat grid/supplier

I'll see if I can find a bill form last summer when AC was high

[edit]drops to 19.7 cents at higher usage, or maybe rate was lower

Mine is in the .13 to .15 range, I have 3phase.
we dont have demand fees in my usuage range- I dont think it kicks in here until you are well north of my usage- the main shop service is 200 amps of 3 phase 240volt.
so an average month is maybe 80 or 90 bucks.

Single phase here in Michigan. I'm not home and the place is pretty much moth balled for the winter. Last month's usage was 184 Kwh and the all inclusive cost was just over 19 cents per Kwh. Last summer while running central air and a little bit of machinery my usage was 719 Kwh and the all inclusive cost was just under 17 cents per Kwh.

The difference in cost was less than I expected with the usage varying by about a factor of 4 times.

You have a lot of BIG HP iron in that shop of yours, what do you have for incoming single phase power? What size transformer? What are you running for converters??

75kva X on the pole.
Been trying to blow it for 20 yrs.
(I like to think that I'm getting closer?)
(They challenged me to "blow this one"when they hung it)

I have 800A @ 240v inside the building, but I think that the main X on the pole is the limiting factor yet.

I have oodles of X's indoors, some as big as the one on the pole!
I intend to address this when we tool up a new(sed) building one day.

I am currently running one 60hp RPC and one 10hp PP.
A few other RPC's on stand-by should they be needed. (30-60hp)

I believe that we have a light bill just under $2000 usually.
I would like to half that in a different building.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back