What's new
What's new

What's your $shop rate$ these days?

dkmc

Diamond
Just curious on where shop rates are these days.
I'm at $75 base rate, mostly manual machining, small quantities. Includes some design and repair work as well. A bit of Fab and welding too. Mostly anything interesting I can make my rate (or better) on. I'm trying to get an idea if that's an average for a small 1-2 man shop in the north east. But it'd be interesting to hear from others in other parts of the US as well. Have you managed to raise your rate in the last 5 years, or have you had to lower it? Or has it been the same for ? years?

$300 an hour here.

What kind of gated community is your shop in?
85 to 100 depending on the job. Cnc one offs,manual, engine machining, crankshafts, blocks, heads and cams mostly big diesel not pickups. The Napa stores keep the engine crap down still charging 1975 prices using 1965 equipment that’s shot. Just need to make shire at the end of the day the hrs go to a job, all hrs setup till cleanup is finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of gated community is your shop in?
85 to 100 depending on the job. Cnc one offs,manual, engine machining, crankshafts, blocks, heads and cams mostly big diesel not pickups. The Napa stores keep the engine crap down still charging 1975 prices using 1965 equipment that’s shot. Just need to make shire at the end of the day the hrs go to a job, all hrs setup till cleanup is finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerospace and DOD work. Don't worry, my margins are probably 1% of what yours are.

I’ve seen shop rates anywhere from $85/hr to $140/hr. I’m at $89 for now. But as California, in it’s infinite wisdom, has decided to jack minimum wage to $15/hr within the next couple years, I am going to have to adjust that soon.

I tell customers I'm at $65/hr.

But recently on my quote spreadsheet I've been using $75-85/hr.

Great way to build customer relationships. Lying always helps.
Hourly rates don't mean a thing. It's the final price that counts. I have never used a spreadsheet to quote.

In the China shop it's $30 per hour for 3+1 axis work and $40 for 5X.

In the Subic shop it's $40 for 3+1 and $45 for 5X.

Hourly rates don't mean a thing. It's the final price that counts. I have never used a spreadsheet to quote.

WOW, What are you using to quote with? I've been using Spreadsheet since the late 80's. I did try E2 and Job-boss but just can't get enough info out of them like excel.

Equipment repair is my main thing but do some machining. All manual stuff. Bushings, weld build up ect. mostly for the repairs im already doing. Fab work and welding. Steady at 80 fixin to go up. everyone i. work for is real happy so either the work is real good or the price is alright. Either way i feel im going to 90 soon.

$40-$200 an hour. Depends on degree of difficulty and how well my machinery and knowledge fit the job. That is mostly all CNC Lathe or Swiss work. $40 an hour is for short overall length jobs out of easy to machine material where a 12 foot bar lasts 3+ hours, tooling lasts forever, and you can run all day without making an offset. $200 an hour is for things like parts that have multiple +/-.0003 diameters on them 50x diameter holes out of 304 SS where I get handcuffed to the machine, parts a lot of shops won't take on or have quality issues.

$75-$105/hr (machine dependent), programming/set-up $85/hr.
I do not mark pre-cut material up, I try to order everything cut.
But, if it has to go on the saw? It gets marked up 20%.

Everything is subject to the PITA-factor!

$75-$105/hr (machine dependent), programming/set-up $85/hr.
I do not mark pre-cut material up, I try to order everything cut.
But, if it has to go on the saw? It gets marked up 20%.

Everything is subject to the PITA-factor!

if you have to order, pay for, unload material i don't see why all of it isn't marked up.
how do you calculate 20%? material cost * 1.2? better way is material cost /0.8

Only $35 here, but that is in addition to regular pay from day job. (Hours concurrent). Mostly repair of rebar benders, shears, forklifts, and custom work for owner & owner’s relatives.
Many mods on machines and forklifts, and of course they have to look pretty when finished!

Whatever.

My rates are entirely my own business. I tell them $65/hour as that's an attractive value for most of my customers. I've had the same customers for 10 years, their not fixated on my rate, more on delivery and quality, despite a few hiccups has been acceptable.

In the China shop it's $30 per hour for 3+1 axis work and $40 for 5X.

In the Subic shop it's $40 for 3+1 and $45 for 5X.

I've been loosing a customers work to a Chinese shop.

In the latest round of work I bid everything at $75/hour, somehow I came in 12% cheaper and got the job. that was straight up, no fudging the hours, 20% material markup. I quoted the time as close as I could.

Either they (the Chinese) got complacent and increased their prices thinking they had a lock on the work. Or I f'd up. I'll know in a week or two.

Why would you tell your customer your shop rate at all? I certainly don't think disclosing that your rates are going up is required, either. I've never asked a vendor what their shop rate is or given it to a customer, and I would politely decline the opportunity to do so if asked. I'm not a lawyer, I'm not billing them based on hours, I'm billing them based on delivering the product.

Back