What's your $shop rate$ these days? - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    That's the longest I've ever looked at a cam machine.
    HolyMoly the retract and index is friggin instant!
    So much faster than the CNC lathes I had.
    The indexing time on that machine is 1/4 second. The slowest I have ever seen is 1 second. To index the spindles o a 5 spindle Davenport is 2/5 seconds. They don't hang about.

2. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Next time I am in Mass, if it is possible, I will make a point to stop by
    Get in touch if you are. I am 1 mile from Starrett world headquarters. The old buildings they are in still run off the rivers hydropower to this day. You may want to check them out as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My situation may be a little different. I do job shop work and gear work. Some of the gear work is production runs. I've been struggling with this for a little while. I have a gear hobber than cuts teeth on 2 parts in 2-1/2 hours total load and start to load and start. customer supplies blanks. My shop rate is now at $85 an hour for job shop work. How should I calculate for the gear machine in question? $85 X 2.5 divided by 2? It's a 150 pc. order that repeats a couple times a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post

I know you are mostly all living in places with vastly lower costs of living than where I am just outside of Silicon Valley but seriously the corner auto shop charges $150 an hour here.
    I never understood why people use mechanic, plumbers, and electricians, etc rates for comparison. They are only competing locally, not against the whole world. They also cannot book a lot of future work and often aren't competing with anyone on price. If a water line busts on your property and you can't fix it yourself the first plumber that is local and quickly available will get the job regardless of price. You don't go and e-mail a dozen plumbers and ask them to quote price and availability.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    Now that we have access to unlimited amounts of knowledge through the internet I now see college just for Doctors and Lawyers. Almost any other career path does not need college.

I hope my experience will be looked upon by many and used to help make better decisions about starting/continuing in your career paths.
    There are many career paths that need higher education, engineering especially. I'm not going to go onto college rants. I do see that many jobs are not requiring actual skills, instead of looking for superficial documentation or evidence of ability. BA of arts who learned python from a book is now a "software engineer" cranking out nonsensical code. Don't get me started on upper management who thinks that it's actually OK, but the more problems there are, the more work for me.

A good degree (actual studies done), good connections, good work experience while in college all lead to better earning potential and loan debt more manageable than what people spend on cars and houses. There is no sin in borrowing money if you can make more with it. College could be a huge step up if you do it right.

Back to the topic of shop rates. I dislike hourlies because it effectively leads to customer micromanaging and asking too many questions about why this or that needs to be done. I keep track of hours fairly granular, but only to make a determination of my own effective rate. Otherwise, I like to gravitate to project based fees vs. hourly for x hours. I understand that this model may not work for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. ......
    .................................................. .................................................. ......

Now that we have access to unlimited amounts of knowledge through the internet I now see college just for Doctors and Lawyers. Almost any other career path does not need college.

I hope my experience will be looked upon by many and used to help make better decisions about starting/continuing in your career paths.

Self made, self paid.

-Dan
    That may be a bit of simplification of what a college degree means.

I went through 4 years of engineering school plus some graduate school. Wouldn't say I enjoyed the schooling part of it. But my dad was paying so I pretty much had to stay with it. My degree proves to others that I was able to learn and understand what was required and follow through with it to the extent my grades were good enough to earn the degree. It's sort of a big 4 year test and I passed.

For my first few years out of college I had "real" jobs with relatively high pay that required the degree.

For me my degree has been a ticket to lots and lots of high dollar work I might not have gotten without it. Some customers are impressed with my degree which sets me apart from a good many shop owners.

Besides the degree, where else would I have had a chance to meet all the babes going to college.

8. Likes cnctoolcat, ApexMachining liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I would be very interested to see is effective shop rate.

Example, I know a guy that his shop is say $100/hr, but in a 8-10hr day he may only do 4-6hrs of billable work, on a GOOD day.

For me, being a one man band, I bet my EFFECTIVE shop rate is pretty close to $50/hr, by the time you include accounting, quoting, shipping, sourcing material, talking to customers on the phone, day to day BS. The myriad of crap I have to do makes me envious of you guys that can complain about your employees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Example, I know a guy that his shop is say $100/hr, but in a 8-10hr day he may only do 4-6hrs of billable work, on a GOOD day.

For me, being a one man band, I bet my EFFECTIVE shop rate is pretty close to $50/hr, by the time you include accounting, quoting, shipping, sourcing material, talking to customers on the phone, day to day BS. The myriad of crap I have to do makes me envious of you guys that can complain about your employees.
    The percentage of non earning hours worked increases drastically as a shop gets smaller. It takes just as long to pay a $10,000 electric bill as it does a $300 one. Same with ordering most shop supplies. I stock the same tooling sizes and types now as a one man band as I did when I ordered tooling for two dozen guys. I am just buying 10 .062 cut-off inserts at a time instead of 100.

11. Likes ApexMachining liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When someone asks me this I tell them it at least $60 because they freak out if it's much more.
    I then tell them it's not really important. What is important is the price/cost of their part.
    They seem to get it for the most part.
    I have expensive equipment and run fast, good parts.
    Price per quality part is reasonable.
    Hourly rate is usually works out to $100 to $125 when it's all done.
    I look at a particular part to see if it's a fit for us. If it is then we quote it.
    If it's not then I have to decide if I want to make it a good fit for us by figuring out a better way to do this widget.
    Usually that means buying tooling, building fixtures, trying out something a little outside of the conventional box.
    That's how we make out. We take a $40 dollar an hour part and make it our $100 hour part by running efficiently.
    Optimizing work holding, programming, job ergonomics, etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is exactly why I have my one full time employee do nothing but run the machine. I do everything else, including run my machine. As long as he is running the bills are getting paid. When Im running too, we are making real money.

14. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post