What's new
What's new

When do you shut down for weather?

AARONT

Stainless
Like the title says. When do you shut down or make it optional for weather?

Last week we got hit with 7-9" of snow over night and I made it an optional day. Last night they were calling for 8-12", but we only got about 5" by this morning so I had everyone go in. Now the next couple days are going to be a low of -25° with windchills potentially dropping as low as -55°. I'm not planning on shutting down due to cold, but it is a concern as I'd hate to have someone break down and be stuck in the cold. I already helped one employee change a tire in -10° weather this winter(loads of fun).

I'm basically shut down after Today. Today is not bad. The rest of the weeks it's barely going to be above 0F. My shop is pretty poorly insulated and poorly heated. The heat never shuts off and it won't get above 50F. I'm worried about the sewer line freezing again. It's happened every year that we have a cold snap like this. One time it was frozen for a month.

There's really no work to do anyway when it's that cold. Just a fact of life in the north. Next week looks a lot better.

-25F? Ok, I guess I will stop complaining when it is single digits. My shop isn't insulated and I use portable electric and kerosene heaters. Fortunately the commute is just a walk from the house. When it is single digits I am lucky to get the shop up to 45F with my heaters. I usually just open the CNC machine cabinets and blow heat in them. The thing I hate the most is handling cold metal as you know you really can't play machinist in anything thicker than surgical gloves.

Are you kidding me... its a brisk 40F in the shop this morning, loving it.

Yup, when it gets that warm in Jan, it's "Take off all your clothes and
roll around in the snowbank" time....:ack2:

Seriously, your not responsible if they get stuck on the side of the road
trying to get to work.

Does your work allow shutting down unscheduled ?

And do you pay your employees for not coming in ?

Are you kidding me... its a brisk 40F in the shop this morning, loving it.

I have one CNC that is alarm city if the shop is below 55F and another that alarms out constantly if it is below 45F, are you running CNC machines in a 40F shop with no issues?

I've never closed in advance of bad weather.
I have sent them home early due to power failure or worsening road conditions. Paid of course.

I can't imagine being productive in a 40*F shop, mid 50's plus would be ok, maybe I'm a sissy

We probably see more sub zero temperatures and more snow fall than most. It was -10 degrees Fahrenheit with 6" fresh snow. Windchill -25. If I closed my guys would call me a wimp. We have never had a weather related closure.

In the Buffalo NY area we stop working if the snow gets deeper than 4 feet.:)
Even our football team works when it snows.

bills game.jpg

Last edited:
We don't shut down....
In 26 years I cant remember my employer shutting down 1 day for weather.
Just my opinion.....if you live where the weather becomes a factor (I do) then you learn to deal with it. If I believe it is too dangerous to attempt to go to work then I will call in and let the boss know not to expect me.....thats my decision to make though.....and thats why I dont call in sick when i am not sick. My attendance is good enough that no one will look twice if I decide to not go to work for a day or two.
BTW....supposed to be -27F air temp where I live on Tuesday and Wednesday.....I plan on going to work.
Saturday morning the wife and I woke up to -25 air temp.....we heard a tree split out back from the cold....if i find which one I will post a pic of it.

UPDATE...-30 Wednesday
Upon further review.....the shop doesnt shut down but I personally do not go in on the first bluebird 70 degree + day in the spring......that day is reserved for long motorcycle rides in the back country.

I have one employee and I made today optional for him. (He decided to take the day off.) We've received close to a foot of snow in the past 24 hours. We are about 10 miles from Lake Michigan, so we get a fair amount of Lake Effect snow on top of the storms.

Not only did the schools close today, but all of the local colleges and many businesses.

I'm working today, but my commute is only about 3 miles.

I'm from the Grand Rapids Michigan area and I read this morning that there are over 500 businesses shut down because of cold and snow. Probably more retail things and not so much shops. I never minded driving the 18 miles each way in heavy snow or below zero weather but freezing rain was another thing. That shit can get you killed.

I've been seeing memes on Facebook this morning saying that Michigan is closed today.

I draw the line at -40°F or C, at least if there is nothing absolutely pressing (and with good money in it). We put a hell of a lot of faith in our vehicles, and modern vehicles are pretty reliable, but still, they BARELY work even when running well. But you do need to have a vehicle that is maintained well enough that it can be relied on. If you are in a very cold snap for your area, then maybe yours and your workers' vehicles might not be trustworthy.

After it looks like -30° is going to settle in for a week or two, you get resigned to the fact that you can't sit on your ass for that long. So, you go to work every day.

In a bad storm/high winds I won't run the CNC's in case I lose power.
Other wise, when I lose power the manual machines stop too, then I walk 10' back home :(

Back when I had a day job if the roads looked too risky I didn't go. They were usually open as other people lived closer.
One time I didn't make it for 3-4days, but that was over 3' of snow. I can't remember if those just got taken out of the vacation time or what anymore, didn't care really so long as I didn't die on the road for $3 above min wage.

if a state if emergency is posted for our area we shut down, otherwise its use your judgment and either use flex time or vacation time for any time taken off

Just got an email from a supplier saying they will be closed Wednesday due to cold weather. My wife is a teacher, her school is already cancelled.

Supposed to be -27 actual here Tuesday and Wednesday. If that happens it will be the coldest temp ever recorded in Peoria, IL.

I can't imagine being productive in a 40*F shop, mid 50's plus would be ok, maybe I'm a sissy

There have been lean years where I was working alone and trying to pinch hundred dollar bills, I kept the heat in the 50's, and I can attest that I was NOT nearly as productive as I would have been with 10* more heat! Yeah, I was (am) dressed for the weather, but still....

And I just don't git it either. I would feel good working outside @ 50* all day, maybe even in the drizzle, but somehow indoors at that same temp - it's just not the same?

Northern Mich University in Marquette advertises that they don't close for weather, but I doo think that they closed for a cpl days a few years ago b/c of power outage and cold campus?

FWIW - I had to help out the steel truck as he got a little too far out in the snowbank in the flat light just now.
All that ice underneath Shirley doesn't help anything either!

I draw the line at -40°F or C, at least if there is nothing absolutely pressing (and with good money in it). We put a hell of a lot of faith in our vehicles, and modern vehicles are pretty reliable, but still, they BARELY work even when running well. But you do need to have a vehicle that is maintained well enough that it can be relied on. If you are in a very cold snap for your area, then maybe yours and your workers' vehicles might not be trustworthy.

After it looks like -30° is going to settle in for a week or two, you get resigned to the fact that you can't sit on your ass for that long. So, you go to work every day.

Winter 93/94 was really cold. We never saw the + side of the F guage for nigh 6 weeks. The roads were lined with new GM vehicles that couldn't hack the cold. Not sure of the exact issue, but it was in the Fuel Infection system somewhere. I had to run some deliveries in my old POS 70's truck for a chum as his '88 truck couldn't make it.

The Holey 600 was jetted just about propper for -20* eh?
Had to use the choke if it got below freezing!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back