When management doesn't understand the business - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    Time and a half is after 40hrs worked in a week. I believe that is a federal law. I've never heard of being paid time and a half after 8 hrs.
    Here its similar, 1.5x after 44 hours in a week provincial statute. We do a lot of field work and our rates are 1.5x after 8 hours.......if I get 1.5x, I give the guys 1.5 times, share the wealth. ....so from that policy they are often making 1.5x after 8 hours.

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you haven't retired yet.

I'm wondering why your still there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Bill, I'd be curious to know more about that. In my case, I've not noticed any issues related to the stoutness / rigidity of the spindle - I rarely have any issue with chatter, and when I do the cause is predictable and obvious (e.g., asking too much of a too-small and overly extended boring bar).
    I don't have anything to add. The person who told me about it was a long time machinist who worked for a machinery dealer as well as machine shops. He is long gone. He said someone had added another bearing to stabilize it, but that is the extent of my knowledge about it.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I'm on the north side (Travelers Rest area).

Nobody asked, but, how much am I being paid at this 'plum' job? $22 an hour, little to no OT. That seems kind of light to me, for someone with my skillset, but then again, this is SC.
    I live in Simpsonville and that scenario is becoming commonplace around here. I know a shop owner who has just hired 3 guys coming from a similar situation. A few of my old customers whose companies got bought out have said similar things. If they were really interested in the companies well being, they would skip the front office and all of management and go out on the shop floor. Those are the people who know whats really going on. $22 is a little below average for this neck of the woods. You didn't move here from up north did you? I have found that those that have are surprised by the wage difference. But the cost of living is lower too. (and the people are usually kinda of laid back)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    If you haven't retired yet.

I'm wondering why your still there?
    So far, it's the only employment I've been able to find, at least less than an hour from my house. I'm not ready to retire yet. I'm putting money away for retirement, and I like to work. If I was retired, I'd be out in my barn, doing pretty much the same thing, only not getting paid for it.

Since talking my way into the CNC department, I've been pretty happy, until they come up with things such as the 12 hour shifts. BTW- That plan seems to have crashed and burned. They had a bulletin board plastered with job positions reflecting the 12 hour shifts. Suddenly, all of those postings were taken down, replaced with job postings reflecting 8 hour shifts.

I came here from FL. COL and pay is a bit higher there. I have seen much higher salaries on jobs listed here, including one near Asheville NC advertising $37/hr, but they're not interested in an old goat like me. I applied at a large, national company in Greenville, and their pay was LESS than what I'm making now. I was surprised by that. In short, pay rates seem to be all over the map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I don't have anything to add. The person who told me about it was a long time machinist who worked for a machinery dealer as well as machine shops. He is long gone. He said someone had added another bearing to stabilize it, but that is the extent of my knowledge about it.

Bill
    Okay, thanks. Since that part of my lathe ain't broke (yet), I guess I won't worry about fixing it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am having similar issues At my job. I'm new there and recently picking machining back up. We are under equip with boat anchors for machines. At least for me though, it is a new company and they serm to be interested in my opinions. It jest gets heald up at "corporate ".

Anyway, at your age it must be doubly frustrating working in a shop like that. I suggest you find a shop at a school. Many tech schools and community colleges have shops and may teach classes. Also, many universities have shops too. They support the scientific departments, making anything the need. And run support more maintenance aswell. You find a gig like that and you may never want to quit working. Plus, once you retire you're probably just gonna be bored

9. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have pretty good tech schools around here, and I would be an excellent teacher. BUT- It's night school, part time, low pay, and you have to have a degree!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose the idea that you are working that day anyway is one point of view I guess they consider you a fixed cost. Now the fact that you have been given a mess and the fact that despite a saw you are not stumped by how you can get around that issue because you have been there before it’s just with the new management they do this everyday!

I do do wonder if these guys could care about the company and make a turn around. Is it because they do not trust hiring in a hotshot? Is such a person who has proven credentials to be hired in thought to be too expensive? I could go on for a while yet I will spare y’all. At your point in life you can learn to play online chess with others as it may come in as a peaceful distraction. A lot of these finance guys are like several shops I have seen,they are not profitable because they really devalue the very positive inputs which would likely turn the place around which would come from their experienced employees! I have seen this a lot what solid recommendations on the options to buy on a new machine for example where employees in the know are ignored maybe because the options may raise the cost too high.

Too there are many owners who do not have to know the machine shop their claim to fame might be top notch sheet metal working or special welding, they just need to find the right people to run what he is not the genius in that topic. Many guys are great at selecting just the right people to hire in.

If these guys guys need someone who is capable of turning it around and you are able to appeal to that and offering your service respectfully to help who knows maybe after turning things around then hiring in your own competent crew you can hunker down and play online chess in your own office, have your secretary screen you from calls and unneeded visitors unless the company really needs you. I would tend to keep a low profile if I was able and wait out retirement having fun and changing the things that you can.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would tell you that you should to of spent the time used to write this post to update your resume, then I see you are close to retirement. I could write a book about the horrors of working for the man in a large company, you can double that when the managers have minimum hands on experience with what they are managing.Even if you were the greatest work place politician in the world trying to fix the mess where you work considering the circumstances would take a decade. I don't want to write a novel here and I could. If I were you I would either just do as asked and wait for the ship to sink or just head for the nearest life boat, running around trying to patch leaks is a stressful losing battle, the hull of that ship is rusted through in too many places.

13. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It actually doesn't take that long to fix. At my last job, molds were getting damaged right and left. We studied the local market, and decided to match the pay and benefits that the 'good' shops were offering. This allowed us to hire top-of-the-line skilled help. The other side of the coin was that if you didn't do a good job, out the door you went. In two years time, we were so profitable that we instituted profit sharing. Management has to back this 100%, though. Right now, they're firmly committed to 'cheaper is better'.