What's new
What's new

When you have doubts about a job- which is the better play- walk or double the cost?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I went out to see some work and didn't get the greatest read on the client- he seemed like he did everything he could to show he was the big dog and everyone was working for him.
Two hours late, dismissive etc.

Walk or just figure a $20k job will go out the door for $45k when the PITA factor is added..

My gut is don't take the work but... who knows- I could just be reading too much into a first meeting.

I went out to see some work and didn't get the greatest read on the client- he seemed like he did everything he could to show he was the big dog and everyone was working for him.
Two hours late, dismissive etc.

Walk or just figure a $20k job will go out the door for $45k when the PITA factor is added..

My gut is don't take the work but... who knows- I could just be reading too much into a first meeting.
Will more money make it all better ?
The ulcers ?
The potential lawsuit afterwards ?

Digger's comment about lawsuits is spot-on. Someone who wants everyone to know they're the boss usually has no issue with playing court games, and I don't mean basketball...

Do you think he will likely pay well given the fact that likely he may cause your costs to balloon? Some people act the big shot to cover for something. The worst cases are just too much of a problem. Do you know anything about his background or know anyone who knows him?

Given everything you have been through the last year do you really need this? If so then do it with the full realization you will see it through and get paid while doing so.

If he is inclined to add things on then having contact with him in a pause while you are getting things together for a decision he begins adding more on give him a adjusted price reflecting the additional changes when you agree to take it and see how he reacts.

I have seen more shop owners use lawyers to gain advantage even over employees. I have not seen much legal problem from those customers though. I mean what would they sue you over really?

Having a lawyer around when you need one goes a very long way. You insulate yourself yet it cost money to learn how you go about that and a good lawyer will direct you well.

Depends on what the job entails. If it's low risk where you control the variables bump that bid up to accommodate the BS factor. Make sure the deposit covers what you need to make the job worth it and the contract is airtight.

I looked at a job south of you where a Marina was bought out and the new ownership group was "cleaning up the place". The 100'x125' steel building that housed their dry boat storage racks had 7 of the 8 I beam support columns completely rusted through the web where the column was bolted to the footing...Except the foundation bolts and nuts were completely rusted as well. I came up with a solution I knew would work, but I was going to charge accordingly considering the liability. Management guy says he talked to a structural engineer that said my plan was overkill and offered a much cheaper solution of sandblasting and welding on site. I guarantee you that structural engineer never set foot in that building to actually look at the condition of the rust. Same management guy couldn't understand why I wanted to pour footers to support the new boat racks I was planning to fabricate and install...the racks were supporting over 100,000lbs when fully loaded. Not to mention how much a pain in the ass it would be to install and bolt the beams together on an uneven surface.

...There was no further communication.

I have not seen much legal problem from those customers though. I mean what would they sue you over really?

Lack of performance. The job is poorly defined, or uncovers additional defects, so the job cannot be completed, so the boat won't float... literally. The guy's argument in court is going to be "he wrecked my boat," and he is going to not only not pay, but want damages for loss of use. Just not worth it.

Dennis

The bigger and more expensive the boat, the bigger the ego, in my estimation. You basically have to weigh whether any amount is worth the potential aggravation, then make that decision for yourself. Upfront money and a bullet-proof contract can help protect you, but if the guy has to spend a lot, he may be more inclined to try to recover some. He may, though, have more respect for you if you charge a pile of money for your exemplary efforts.

Maybe "it'll cost this much (the pile of money), but I can't squeeze you in until next season". That might do a job on him.

Lots of ways to protect yourself: work off a large deposit or retainer; get progress payments with sign-off at each stage; get payment in full before delivery, etc.

Overcharging does nothing to help your reputation or future work potential.

Lack of performance. The job is poorly defined, or uncovers additional defects, so the job cannot be completed, so the boat won't float... literally. The guy's argument in court is going to be "he wrecked my boat," and he is going to not only not pay, but want damages for loss of use. Just not worth it.

Dennis
Example - A friend of mine was building a timber framed house for a wealthy woman. She changed her mind a few times during construction as is usual. At one point she directed him to halt work until the plans were changed and finalized. That delay lasted so long that the timbers were exposed to the weather for a lengthy period and were cosmetically damaged. She sued the builder for the damage, claiming it was his obligation to wrap etc. all the timbers of the partially constructed frame against damage at his expense, even though he was told not to work on the building until further notice and she was advised that there was risk of damage if left as is. He won, at least partially, but that suit put him out of business.

Back