What's new
What's new

Who should pay for mistake?

chip_maker

Stainless
Ok, here's what happened.

Sent a print to a vendor to quote (they supply the rough blank and I finish machine it here).

They quoted the wrong part (very similar to the print we sent them) and we placed the order for the wrong part number based on their quote.

We did not catch that the wrong p/n was put on their quote, but we did send the correct print for quote.

They are two different parts with two different p/n's and two different prints ("real" cad generated prints).

So how should this be resolved?

Jmho, sounds like culpability is somewhat 50/50 on the mistake.

But i would have a good talking to with whoever gave the go ahead on the po. Or a good look at why it got through and wasn't caught to begin with. That parts on you. Hope it isn't too costly.

IMHO, they led you down the wrong path. IOW.... they are the root cause of this screw up. I think they should own the problem. But... since the PO stated the wrong # makes things a bit "gray". I totally get that they led you down that path though.

I think they should cover the error. Or at least the majority of it.

Still waiting to hear back from them.

With that said I feel that it is a 50/50 responsibility since there was screw ups on both ends.

I have no problem with paying half, but do have a problem if they don't want to assume any responsibility.

The problem is that you ordered the wrong part, so they can rightly say they have documentation that you ordered what they sent.

I would hope they would send you the right thing and quickly since their error started it, but it is kind of your job to catch things

Are you going to eventually sell the parts you have?

If so, it is not a huge problem, just one of timing

I would not lose a good supplier over it

The problem is that you ordered the wrong part, so they can rightly say they have documentation that you ordered what they sent.

I would hope they would send you the right thing and quickly since their error started it, but it is kind of your job to catch things

Are you going to eventually sell the parts you have?

If so, it is not a huge problem, just one of timing

I would not lose a good supplier over it

I have documentation showing that they quoted the wrong print.

The incorrect parts I received are a slowww mover.

If I could sell them in a year i would just buy them and move on.

Could take 5 years to sell these.

It's a part they have done for us in the past, a print made by them based on a sketch from me.

They have the "wrong print" as well as the "right print" on file.

You really, really need to have them destroy all prints on file from you.
Nothing in their system, no where in a cabinet.

Every Quote, you send a print, a current, released print.
And no phone calls either, all e-mail, or regular mail.
You can talk on the phone, but follow it up with mail.

I have documentation showing that they quoted the wrong print.

The incorrect parts I received are a slowww mover.

If I could sell them in a year i would just buy them and move on.

Could take 5 years to sell these.

I get it, but you ordered the wrong part.

Yes, they should have not made the mistake, but you should have caught it.

Nobody is clean here

Are these parts for a particular customer?

Sometimes they are willing to buy things sooner for a discount

then you can negotiate the issue

Here’s the thing they sent you a quote with the wrong P/N on it so you should’ve looked at the quote prior to placing an order correct? They did what you asked right or wrong it’s on the quote and the P.O. I wouldn’t expect my supplier to own any of this with the exception that they be more cautious next time.

The real solution is every PO has a print. No making fron file prints. This is the way big companies deal with us. If there is the smallest descrepency a phone call or eamil is made/sent.

Back