What's new
What's new

JobBoss - Bar Code Scanner

Spencer46

Plastic
We're a small shop and we've been using JobBoss for as long as I've been here (4 years). I'm trying to get labels onto our raw stock so that the guy operating the saw can just scan the bar code instead of typing it into JobBoss. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a small budget to get this working, so let me know if this is something that you have experience with. Thanks.

We're a small shop and we've been using JobBoss for as long as I've been here (4 years). I'm trying to get labels onto our raw stock so that the guy operating the saw can just scan the bar code instead of typing it into JobBoss. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a small budget to get this working, so let me know if this is something that you have experience with. Thanks.

I haven't used this style in decades, but what you probably want is a barcode scanner that can act as a keyboard wedge. It plugs in either in place of the keyboard or between the computer and keyboard and when you scan a barcode the software thinks the text is coming from the keyboard. This means there is no programming required at your end - you just plug it in and scan barcodes and the software doesn't know that the data wasn't typed.

EDIT: We use a lot of Cognex DMR8050 barcode readers for hand scanning which may be too expensive for your budget, but I had a look at the documentation and it looks like they can be used for keyboard input when plugged into any USB port. So they don't necessarily need to be plugged in between the keyboard and computer like the old wedge style readers. I assume the less expensive readers can do the same thing these days. I didn't test this functionality since we read the codes into a PLC, robot controller, or custom software that opens a TCP/IP or RS232 port but it looks very straight forward.

Just buy a barcode scanner from Amazon. Any one will do.

I bought one for $20 from amazon and it works just fine with JobBoss's barcodes.

I haven't used this style in decades, but what you probably want is a barcode scanner that can act as a keyboard wedge. It plugs in either in place of the keyboard or between the computer and keyboard and when you scan a barcode the software thinks the text is coming from the keyboard. This means there is no programming required at your end - you just plug it in and scan barcodes and the software doesn't know that the data wasn't typed.

Any of the USB barcode scanners will just act just like a keyboard input now and should just be as easy as plugging them in and scanning.

Back