What's new
What's new

Will you require employees to get covid vacine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill D

Diamond
Just like the title says. would you require covid vaccine for employees before they get employed. I mean in a year or so after everyone can get one. Do you have any vaccine or illness testing requirements now? Is it legal to require such things.
In Public schools all staff must be fingerprint checked and TB tested. I do not think they check for any vaccination. Students have to have certain vaccinations like measles, polio, whopping cough etc.
Food service workers have to be tested for TB.
I understand the Amish do not get vaccinated. California has tightened the rules for medical exemptions so doctors are much less likely to do it.
Bill D.

The grumpy, 75 year old fart(me) that runs this place got the first shot last week at daughter's insistence.. Employees, who knows?. Some will, some won't.

One of sleepy Joe's "First Day Actions" was to direct OSHA to "Make some rules" about Covid.
so stay tuned, and expect the state's OSHA's to follow suit to tack on extra fines.
Coupling this with the fact that not every state has passed laws to indemnify companies
to shield them from covid lawsuits, your insurance company will have final say.

The grumpy, 75 year old fart(me) that runs this place got the first shot last week at daughter's insistence.. Employees, who knows?. Some will, some won't.

Which raises an interesting question. If the vaccines are so damned effective, why does EVERYONE have to get vaccinated to protect everyone else?

And I am talking strictly about an individual workplace, not the society at large.

Seems to me if the un-vaccinated got sick THEY would be the ones to lose time off work.

What I've read and heard, several times : Employers can't legally require vaccination because the FDA granted approval on an emergency basis. But, private employers could find ways around that, and it hasn't been to court yet.

What I've read and heard, several times : Employers can't legally require vaccination because the FDA granted approval on an emergency basis. But, private employers could find ways around that, and it hasn't been to court yet.

There are also the issues of HIPPA. Employers are specifically legally limited in what they are even allowed to ask.

Example, currently some companies have a policy that anyone coming into their facility must have a negative COVID test however they cannot ask someone about the test results.

Some states also have the same requirement for visiting their state but they have no legal authority to ask about the test results.

This is a catch-22 situation that will take many court cases and much legislation before this is settled.

It should also be noted that we have never truly had any mandatory vaccinations for the general public up to this point, even with some diseases that have had a much greater fatality rate than COVID.

I wouldn’t expect my employees to get vaccinated. If I worked for someone who told me I had to I would decide then if I quit or not.most likely I would quit unless a substantial raise involved. I bid a project on a military base a few years back I budgeted in the background check and all the paper work. Don’t remember if we had to have our shots or not. my help had a choice if they wanted to be on that job or not . No strings. it helped that it was in the 50 an hour range was the employees compensation. it was a good job but even with the additional pricing I added in I haven’t bid another. The office work was basically 1 hour per 4 billed. Figured my paperwork lady would quit if I did that again to her.

I will encourage them to and try to talk them into doing so but respect any personal choice.
I will not require it and hope that they do not think badly of me for taking the shots the first chance I get.
I believe it to be the best way back to the old normal life so will try to use "my" logic to convince you but forcing it as a job requirement it terrible bad in my view.

Long time friend's wife a teacher and I asked him if she was able to get the shot early.
He said she was able but would not do it and then went off like a firecracker on the subject of, mandated, government control and all that.
I backpedaled as fast as I could and learned a bit about asking others on this.

As an employer I was also never a fan of pre-employment drug testing and saw this as an invasion of off work time or personal life.
If you like drug tests but are no need to enforce shots now you are sort of conflicting standards.
Bob

Do you require employees to wear safety glasses? Do you require employees to wear steel toe boots? Do you require employees to show legal status or SS#? Do you require employees to wear a seat belt if driving a company vehicle? Do you require employees to be sober at work? How many other things can you think of that employers require?

On the off chance I hire someone again (somedays I really do need help), if legal to do so, I will probably make it a requirement.

I live near a bunch of companies that do Black Budget stuff- where theres a 3 month wait to get a security clearance to even be a janitor- and I cant imagine that HIPPA or no HIPPA, companies like that, working on 500 million dollar contracts for things that "dont exist" are not going to be requiring, one way or another, vaccination.
Its kind of like drug testing- the higher the stakes, the higher the wages, the more likely it is that drug testing is going to be required and random.
You want those kind of jobs, you gotta dance the dance.

or you end up, like an ex-employee of mine who has enough of a record to not even be considered for jobs like that, working third shift rewelding broken garbage trucks.

.......... Do you require employees to wear steel toe boots? .
I'm not so much for steel toe boots in my shop.
Dropping a carbide insert or toolholder on your toe is not a big safety risk.
Yes the insurance company wants this but I am sort of slack in enforcement.
Since padded carpeting in the cells I've been know to not wear any shoes at all, just my socks, some employees do the same at times after seeing me.
Huge violation of the rules.
Bob

the higher the stakes, the higher the wages,

So if we can extend unemployment bennies, why can't the fed print off enough $ to let businesses to "award" those agreeing to getting the vaccine?

I mean, if they are going to give me $2000 to get a shot, it might change a worried mind, would it not?:confused:

Other than that, I'm pretty sure you can't require an employee to have a medical procedure, no matter who you are.

I mean, if they are going to give me $2000 to get a shot, it might change a worried mind, would it not?:confused:

That has been talked about and tossed around by the rule makers.
It has no traction but is interesting to think about.
At what point does one sell a stand or belief for money in the checkbook? Two thousand, twenty thousand, two million?
Where do you reverse sides?
Bob

That has been talked about and tossed around by the rule makers.
It has no traction but is interesting to think about.
At what point does one sell a stand or belief for money in the checkbook? Two thousand, twenty thousand, two million?
Where do you reverse sides?
Bob

That depends on your level of optimism.
Maybe a promise of free medical care would be enough.

Just a thought experiment.

It'll never happen.

Hell we just sent 11,000 jobs packin' with the pipeline closure thingy. There's the way to make the Canadiens happy, don't ya know.

I'm tryin' to figure out were the next hammer will fall when it comes to folks bein' out of a job......could be me.

Oh happy days.:D

Will closing the pipeline create more jobs long term jobs than it kills?
There is to much oil for demand now.
Bob

True, we currently have a surplus of oil, however stopping the Keystone pipeline will just continue to cause transport of the oil by rail which actually is less efficient and cause more CO2 to be used by the transporting trains.

Warren Buffet is the real winner on this one.

required, not sure about it. But I am planning on getting it and will feel alot safer is most everyone I work with gets it.
About 1/3 of the people at the plant got covid. I'm 65 and dodged the bullet.
No deaths but affects varied. One guy about 40 got hit really hard, and his mother ended up in the hospital.
No choice when I was in the Air Force.

Dave

About a month ago i heard they busted a ring in Europe selling fake covid negative tests. I am sure if employers required vacations to work there would soon be a big underground market of paperwork showing you got the shot.
Bill D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back