What's new
What's new

Winterizing Shop Warehouse

theothertom

Plastic
Looking for some tips, tricks, and solutions for winterizing shop warehouse. Relatively large space with a high ceiling cap. Best temp to Maintain? How to Protect Machinery? What to stock up on?

Is this where you store the junk machinery your gracing our "for sale section" with ?

FWIW it's been discussed several times in the past, search the archives.

20 C. is standard temp or about 68 F.
now just have to maintain standard pressure as well

Only if you are right ON the beach, Ventura. Sea-level thing.

:)

More to the OP's needs.. the most important part wherever industrial goods, fine tools, close fits, corrosion-prone finishes, dis-similar metals, or electronics live is avoiding "condensing humidity" more than any specific temp swing alone. Winters are usually dry, but not everywhere. Some heating choices add moisture.

See also "dew point", "degree days", and the annual history of the weather, US Gov. services, your specific area.

What to DO about it, covered arredy. And "right here on PM". As Digger said.

Looking for some tips, tricks, and solutions for winterizing shop warehouse. Relatively large space with a high ceiling cap. Best temp to Maintain? How to Protect Machinery? What to stock up on?

youll want to maintain 55 in the shop at least for storage here in new england

In Red Deer Alberta Canada its -14 feels like -20c
My 1400 sqft shop I keep it at 13-15c all winter
I have lathes, huge box of tools etc but the trick I believe is air movement. I’ll back my truck in over night with a ton of snow on it, I try to sweep most of the water out but I leave my ceiling fans run all winter.
I’ve never had a rust problem.
I heat it with a mid efficiency furnace that blows across the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Red Deer Alberta Canada its -14 feels like -20c
My 1400 sqft shop I keep it at 13-15c all winter
I have lathes, huge box of tools etc but the trick I believe is air movement. I’ll back my truck in over night with a ton of snow on it, I try to sweep most of the water out but I leave my ceiling fans run all winter.
I’ve never had a rust problem.
I heat it with a mid efficiency furnace that blows across the garage.

...and yet, your location says "Algeria".....:toetap:

IIRC Alberta is "dry" in winter.

very dry....:nutter:

the most important step is to keep it above freezing at all times.

Generally not that expensive to do.

Next step is mid low 40's, keeps it so tools don't feel cold to the touch and it is pretty easy to crank it up into working temps.

As mentioned it is about the temperature swings, so keeping it at 40, Dec thru March, you are probably only seeing 10-15 degree swings, keeps condensation down.

...and yet, your location says "Algeria".....:toetap:

IIRC Alberta is "dry" in winter.

very dry....:nutter:

If you can change it go for it... I’ve tried a million times.... it keeps defaulting to Algeria, Provence says Alberta thou thx.

Yes winters can be dry here but 1 foot of snow on a Dodge mega cab, wife’s Tiguan plus all the frozen slush stuck to undercarriage.... it’s far from dry in my shop daily!

I second the moving air - I use the pivoting wall mount fans. When working a lot in front of one in the winter, I will turn it off until I am done for the day.

Back