What's new
What's new

Work is slow, anyone else in the same boat

JimGlass

Stainless
This year is starting out like 2009, real slow. I have no shop work at this time so I'm going to Arkansas to visit my sister.
Is it just me or is this a new trend. I had several jobs lined up with a customer but they are not releasing the work for some reason.

Other customers that I have are not calling me either.

What is going on????

Thanks,
Jim

My year started out good, January was busy, then it died off. Just landed some work for my HBM and its running 12 hrs a day, for the last week, and at least another week if not more. So, steak and lobster tonight!

Josh

just bought another hbm so it better get real busy we got worked lined up and work on breakdowns constantly here and in the other shop but like Kruger said its feast to famine

We have been moderate to busy so far this year. March has brought several new jobs and a return of a fairly large job that we lost to China 2 years ago. We are looking at 10 hour days/nights for 4-6 weeks. Our problem is that everyone wants it now!!

Brian

well thats not hard to get Ken stirred up lol but he is one stand up guy i have bought alot of equipment from him what did you do to ken give me some ammo

Just what I was thinking the other day.....repeat of 2009. :crazy:

January was OK, then Feb first week was OK, then silence for last 3 weeks of feb and first week of march.
Looks like -maybe- a little pickup in activity now......hope it continues...jeesh.

This year is starting out like 2009, real slow.
Other customers that I have are not calling me either.
What is going on????

Thanks,
Jim

Someone turned off the tap here in central IL back around August of 2012. It continued to slow until December. December sales were half those of August. R&D budgets were obviously wiped out toward the end of the year.

Production work is coming back in the first part of this year. However, there have not been many new jobs coming in.

I think we are in the begining of a total systemic breakdown. This is what happens with all debt based economies sooner or later. The government and the federal reserve have been bracing the house of cards that is our currency/economy. We must be getting close to total breakdown now that they are going for our guns and money.

Well you idea is great but i don't think that it is with every one. It may be a trend or not. but here i don't think that it is with every one. May be it is only with you or with every one. The persons you are lined up for business may be not have their schedule to give work right now. May be they give you work later.

My shop has 5 giant G&L cnc HBM's, two smaller manuals, and a few DeVlieg HBMs. They never stop running either....unless the contractor we hired for a spindle alignment and gearbox rebuild fucks it all up, orders the wrong parts, and puts it back together with chatter.

If you're in the Akron area, I'd be happy to let you know about a rebuild company to just STAY AWAY FROM. They spent the better part of a year working on 2 Mazak Powermaster lathes, and they still aren't right. Thank God that contract is over.

Been quite busy since the start of the year, but not much that had any real lead time to it, always rush. Not nearly as much $ in any of it as it used to be though, but that's been so for 4yrs.
But right now, I got 1 day of work to do. There'll be more next week I'm sure. Quite happy that I'll finally have 1 weekend I can spend in the shop working on my own stuff.

Though I didn't pay much attention I did see a few hints that the stock market been going up wildly the past week or 2... sounds familiar... don't know what they'll blame the next crash on eh. Yesterday it was said the government's new budget coming next week here has lots of cuts, some with a B, for a bunch of guys that had been overly optimistic and playing it down since 08, they seemed to be saying things ain't looking so fantastic for some time to come.

So, I was gonna start a new detached shop in a month or 2 that would cost about 50-60K, but decided to put that on hold again. Gonna make some room from inside instead, which is part of this weekends project.

I feel there's more uncertainty now, than in 2008. A few friends in construction have seen that last year was down a lot and this year ain't looking so great yet. The housing thing didn't hit Canada as fast as the US, but with changes to the mortgages and stuff its getting real bad here now. Neighbor on one side went from 495K down to 399 and it still ain't selling, and empty lot on the other side that they bought for 83K 3 yrs ago and tried to pass off at 125 the last 2, is down to 89 and trying to get rid of it and no takers either... this stuff used to sell in days/weeks.

It'll get interesting soon enough.

Right now production work is down. Tooling, fixtures and prototypes are up. 2 months ago it was just the opposite. Guess it just depends on who your customers are and what type of work your doing.

Our Shop

I"m having a weird year so far. Extreme swings. Last week I had 5 jobs in the shop total. Not even a weeks worth of work. This week, I've got 5-6 weeks of work and still quoting. The whole year so far has been like that.

Back