Workload drop off - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are getting two day turn on anodize right now - a month ago it was two weeks. Seems like a lot less material on the delivery trucks, and I have had several of my customers starting to drop their inventorys because of the pain of the material price increases (Trident went up $.30 a pound on Monday due to the tariffs). I was really thinking about ordering another new machine but I am going to hold off as long as I can - getting a feeling that cash on hand may be becoming a lot more important with this trade war thing starting up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How would a job shop go about hiring a sales rep to find new work?

How have you guys hired one in the past,

Seems like everyone around is busy.
    Im not even sure how to find new work without the contacts

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our company keeps allows basically anyone in the company to view total revenue in dollars in real time from any computer in the shop, including the previous year's average. From what I can tell, we seem to be greatly outpacing last years revenue and total orders. No idea on net profit or anything like that though. We're in Southern New England.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    You brought it up, you explain, compare and contrast it. You have have yet to make a point other than you're a troll.

knock your self out.
    You made a bold claim that Amazon was nothing more than a retailer and could easily go away. Since you were talking about Amazon's business model, it seems only logical to assume you were familiar with it. He asked a simple question: "How do you account for AWS?" in your assertion that they were merely a retailer. It's a completely reasonable thing to ask someone who seemingly overlooked it when discussing Amazon's business model. But you weren't even familiar with what AWS is.

AWS is Amazon Web Services. AWS is the 2nd largest cloud data provider in the world. A solid third or more of all Internet traffic originates from AWS servers. They're absolutely massive, and absolutely "high-tech" in every sense of the word. If Amazon pulled the plug tonight and shut everything down, it'd basically cripple the tech world.

It's not just websites either. You need to crunch some big numbers, but don't have the space or time to build out a data center? Simply rent a couple hundred AWS servers for a few days to do your needed calculations. Billion dollar companies rely on AWS for all of their computing needs.

What you said, is basically the same thing as saying "Honda is just a well run scooter manufacturer, they could easily go away tomorrow with little impact".

4. Likes mkd, bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanLocomo View Post
    AWS is the 2nd largest cloud data provider in the world. A solid third or more of all Internet traffic originates from AWS servers. They're absolutely massive, and absolutely "high-tech" in every sense of the word. If Amazon pulled the plug tonight and shut everything down, it'd basically cripple the tech world.

It's not just websites either. You need to crunch some big numbers, but don't have the space or time to build out a data center? Simply rent a couple hundred AWS servers for a few days to do your needed calculations. Billion dollar companies rely on AWS for all of their computing needs.

What you said, is basically the same thing as saying "Honda is just a well run scooter manufacturer, they could easily go away tomorrow with little impact".
    Uhh, nooo. I may not be a "fan" of Amazon, nor AWS, either - but I can still read numbers.

That isn't even close. Amazon had clocked 69% of that market, year ago this coming Friday, per Gartner, Fortune, et al, not just the "funny papers" and AFAIK has never NOT been in the lead, "cloud SERVICES" wise under that moniker.

In their heyday, smaller markets of the era, Itel, "The Service Bureau", IBM-itself, nor BCS never had that sort of market percentage domination.

Honda should vanish, there'd be some pissed-off folk in need of service to existing products, but third-party mechanics would JFDWT until rust sent them off to no shortage of other options.

Noticed, yes, bemoaned, maybe, but not all that disruptive, a Honda fail.

Amazon IS in the disruptor seat if their s**t should go pear-shaped. Or even Putinized.

Pray, and pray HARD, that they are at the least an "ABM" shop.

The thought of any part of that resource running catch-me-f**k-me PLEASE! Microsoft is horrifying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solidworkscadman View Post

Honestly, learn to do the sales yourself. You are your companies best salesman, with the most to lose/gain.

7. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He's also the company's worst salesman...

9. Likes Bobw, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our company keeps allows basically anyone in the company to view total revenue in dollars in real time from any computer in the shop, including the previous year's average. From what I can tell, we seem to be greatly outpacing last years revenue and total orders. No idea on net profit or anything like that though. We're in Southern New England.

You made a bold claim that Amazon was nothing more than a retailer and could easily go away. Since you were talking about Amazon's business model, it seems only logical to assume you were familiar with it. He asked a simple question: "How do you account for AWS?" in your assertion that they were merely a retailer. It's a completely reasonable thing to ask someone who seemingly overlooked it when discussing Amazon's business model. But you weren't even familiar with what AWS is.

AWS is Amazon Web Services. AWS is the 2nd largest cloud data provider in the world. A solid third or more of all Internet traffic originates from AWS servers. They're absolutely massive, and absolutely "high-tech" in every sense of the word. If Amazon pulled the plug tonight and shut everything down, it'd basically cripple the tech world.

Only took two weeks but somebody finally made a point. So my hat is off to you on that.
    Integrity says you would have done well to not add meaning and claiming I said things i didn't to suit your counter argument...or things you couldn't know about me.
    you could have even..gasp...asked for clarification on...gasp...in interweb forum. I guess clarification is verboten.
    i stand by my statement in agreement with other on this forum. And you can take exception to my hyperbole, that is fine and expected.

So since you are somebody that can be conversed with, would you say the computational power, engineering in design AND manufacturing AND operation AND multiphysiscs AND supply chain management involved in moving people and cargo across the planet, through thin air, with regularity and safety the world has never seen before is leaps and bounds ahead, in every amazing way, than an internet retailer maintaining some (apparently) cool web servers??????????????????????????????
    keep in mind we were just contrasting what constitutes High tech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    He's also the company's worst salesman...
    What's that sposed to mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's that sposed to mean?
    He's the only salesman. It's the only way to be best and worst simultaneously

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've said this here before, but you need to TALK TO PEOPLE.. YOU, YOURSELF.. Need
    to "Network"... sounds kind of hokey doesn't it...

Do people know what you do?? Does the guy with a printing business 3 buildings over know what you do??
    Have you ever talked to him??

Do your wife's co-workers know what you do? Are any of them married to folks that need work done???

Quick aside on that one.. I did that one backwards, I did work for a printing shop and then later
    found out that it was the husband of one of my better half's co-workers...

Model train club, RC plane club.. PTA meetings.. My better half is a school teacher and I get
    "volunteered" quite a bit, and I've met some potential customers that way (parents of kids)...

And I've gotten BLASTED on this board for this one before.. BARS!!!! VFW, American Legion,
    local watering holes... Trades folks hang out there in the afternoon, and they know EVERYBODY..

Not my most profitable customer, but my favorite customer.. Pays COD, never even asks "How much",
    never a formal PO, supplies the material, even cuts it up for me... The maximum amount of BS
    I've ever had to deal with is NONE!!! I'm shipping him something almost every week. He had ALL
    my machines tied up today.... I met him in a bar..

I've got another customer.. I do ONE thing for him, its the only thing he needs machined, about once a year,
    but its not a bad little job, he supplies the expensive material for the assembly, I supply the cheap stuff..
    And I met him in a bar..

I've got a new customer, that has been pretty good so far, and hopefully continues.. I didn't meet
    him in a bar.. But a guy who used to work for me did..

One thing I've learned is that a lot of small shops are like me.. We keep to ourselves.. We don't advertise
    in the yellow pages, we don't put up big signs... Nobody knows what we do or that we even exist, and as
    far as the general public is concerned, I like that...

Sales men.. Mazak, Haas, Materials... They know who everybody is, and where everybody is, and they
    know what everybody NEEDS.. And sometimes they NEED YOU!!!! Play nice with those people, invite them in,
    talk to them.. Offer 'em a beer, or at least a cold beverage, or a hot one in December.

CAGE CODES.. Look 'em up for your area, see what kind of Gov contracts they are getting, maybe stop by
    some day...

Plasma, water jet, welders... Maybe take them a little job (personal project maybe), chat 'em up,
    give 'em a card, see what they make... See if they need any "Help"...

Hanging yourself out there isn't always the easiest thing. It can be tough
    tooting your own horn..

And if you have spare time, make some "product".. Make something you've always wanted, but make
    10 of 'em and sell 'em on e-bay or something.. There are 7 billion people in this world, and if you
    want one, there are at least few others that want one also, but can't make it for themselves. You
    might hit on something and not have to be a "Job Shop" ever again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Only took two weeks but somebody finally made a point. So my hat is off to you on that.
    Integrity says you would have done well to not add meaning and claiming I said things i didn't to suit your counter argument...or things you couldn't know about me.
    you could have even..gasp...asked for clarification on...gasp...in interweb forum. I guess clarification is verboten.
    i stand by my statement in agreement with other on this forum. And you can take exception to my hyperbole, that is fine and expected.

So since you are somebody that can be conversed with, would you say the computational power, engineering in design AND manufacturing AND operation AND multiphysiscs AND supply chain management involved in moving people and cargo across the planet, through thin air, with regularity and safety the world has never seen before is leaps and bounds ahead, in every amazing way, than an internet retailer maintaining some (apparently) cool web servers??????????????????????????????
    keep in mind we were just contrasting what constitutes High tech.
    Calling AWS a "cool webserver" is like calling a 5 axis VMC a "cool Bridgeport". It's a super disingenuous thing to say about AWS. It's an absolutely massive operation with global-scale infrastructure. Billions of dollars in facilities, hardware, and code. Amazon even has their own fiber networks spanning the country. They have immense computing, engineering, distribution and manufacturing resources as well.

They might not make planes, but they are every bit as high tech.

15. Likes shpxnvz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Calling AWS a "cool webserver" is like calling a 5 axis VMC a "cool Bridgeport". It's a super disingenuous thing to say about AWS. It's an absolutely massive operation with global-scale infrastructure. Billions of dollars in facilities, hardware, and code. Amazon even has their own fiber networks spanning the country. They have immense computing, engineering, distribution and manufacturing resources as well.

They might not make planes, but they are every bit as high tech.
    Thanks for the non-trolling response. I don't agree whatsoever, but respect your opinion.
    Comparison of moving ones and zeroes about the interweb just doesn't compare to moving people and cargo through thin air. change my mind..
    The data network and computational horsepower for the aerospace industry is in my opinion much more than the cool amazon AWS servers plus all the multiple engineering disciplines for aircraft.... the comparison is just laughable in my mind.

isn't the regulated safety of modern air travel an absolute amazing feat of expertise on many levels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default [ As Moderator]

OK fella's, can we drop the AWS fishing debate?
    This is getting ridicolicolicolous.....

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    OK fella's, can we drop the AWS fishing debate?
    This is getting ridicolicolicolous.....

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    AWS to me means the American Welding Society

19. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wont' hear another peep outta me.
    sorry for the hijack

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    AWS to me means the American Welding Society
    It means Agitating Wanker Syndrome. I think you have it.

22. Likes dpolseno41 liked this post