Xometry-Who is doing it? - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I agree it's a rub for sure.... But the pay is great and it might be worth it for a small shop to have guaranteed work with xometry.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Just think how good the pay would be without that extra hand in the till SMDH

2. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Just think how good the pay would be without that extra hand in the till SMDH
    I agree. That said, I also think they clearly serve an important purpose for many in spite of the complaints of many others. I've been following the thread for quite a while now and it seems to me that they offer access to opportunities that many would not be able to access through their own sales efforts.

In the earlier thread in which I was discussing my attempts to promote shop-to-shop trade, I had been asked if I was trying to become another Xometry. The answer was "no," of course. They are massive (Attention Required! | Cloudflare) and have vast resources. The issue for me is tapping the latent capacity that exists in the smaller shops to benefit the domestic CNC machining industry in general.

With support of the domestic machining industry in mind, I think it is important to remember that Xometry's network is all domestic (Xometry Manufacturing Partner Network). For whatever issues may cause difficulty navigating their system to get the work, they do a very large amount of it and all of it is made by shops in the USA. In order for them to be sustainable, they have to make a profit, of course. Since their profit margin can't come from their Customers, it needs to come from their suppliers.

They couldn't exist is not for their margin and I think their success shows that it is important for them to exist.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We don't do work for Xometry, but a couple months ago I dropped a widget into their quoting engine just for the hell of it. I don't remember the exact figures but something to the effect I estimated we would do 150 said widgets for $65. With ITAR required their price was about $62, so pretty close but I have no idea how much they take off the top. Without ITAR it was in the $40 range so there is a substantial premium for ITAR. The biggest thing I noticed was that if we could wait an additional 3-4 weeks to have them shipped from China (obviously ITAR isn't applicable at this point) the parts would cost about $13! I'm sure the quality at this point is quite poor but it doesn't surprise me that many bargain hunting Purchasing agents take this route.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jobshopblog.com View Post
    With support of the domestic machining industry in mind, I think it is important to remember that Xometry's network is all domestic (Xometry Manufacturing Partner Network).
    That is not correct. Read Xometry's statement carefully -- "Xometry’s U.S.-based Manufacturing Partners form the backbone of our cutting-edge Manufacturing On Demand platform." That is not saying all their partners are domestic. In fact they added overseas partners some time ago, and my observation is that those overseas partners capture a great deal of the longer lead time work, leaving only the rush jobs for the US shops.

Regards.

Mike

6. Likes as9100d, Dualkit, jobshopblog.com liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    That is not correct. Read Xometry's statement carefully -- "Xometry’s U.S.-based Manufacturing Partners form the backbone of our cutting-edge Manufacturing On Demand platform." That is not saying all their partners are domestic. In fact they added overseas partners some time ago, and my observation is that those overseas partners capture a great deal of the longer lead time work, leaving only the rush jobs for the US shops.

Regards.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. I had been all over their website before posting and could find no reference at all to anything but domestic suppliers. After the message before yours referencing China, I went back and still couldn't find it. I stand corrected and take back my endorsement from the "domestic" perspective. Are you able to point me to where I missed this on their website?

Thanks - Andy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

xo.jpg

front page

9. Likes jobshopblog.com liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    xo.jpg

front page
    Thanks. I missed it. Right below that they discuss their manufacturing network with this: "Instantly access the production capacity of over 3,000 manufacturers with wide-ranging capabilities and certifications across 50 states. From your desktop. Strict NDA agreements with our network protect privacy." I apologize for the mistake.

For Ox, Since I'm relatively new, what is the protocol? Should I leave the post up (I regret making it now), or take it down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    xo.jpg

front page
    Ya'll ready to believe me yet?

When will people realize all these places do is drive shop rates down?

12. Likes as9100d, AARONT liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At this point it really is just as9100d trolling.

There is enough data here for people to draw their own conclusions. Wheelieking has brought this back in a direction that several individuals were implying from the very start.

14. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    At this point it really is just as9100d trolling.

There is enough data here for people to draw their own conclusions. Wheelieking has brought this back in a direction that several individuals were implying from the very start.
    I don't think AS9100D is trolling, his company is just a good fit for Xometry where most shops here aren't. Kind of like that one member we have that made good money and contacts with MFG that usually took money for nothing from everyone else that wasn't based in China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I don't think AS9100D is trolling, his company is just a good fit for Xometry where most shops here aren't. Kind of like that one member we have that made good money and contacts with MFG
    Wasn't that you???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Wasn't that you???
    No, it was Wrustle

18. Likes wrustle, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think AS9100D is trolling
    Yea, I don't think he is necessarily trolling either. But, watching his ISO boner is getting pretty annoying.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dunno, putting the price tag on that job up, bragging about how profitable it was, and then not taking it... That feels like trolling. At that price most would have struggled to make shop rate.

In almost every thread he brings up how large/successful/profitable his company is. The only reason I engage is that I don't want other people to read his BS and take it to heart.

21. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think AS9100D is trolling, his company is just a good fit for Xometry where most shops here aren't. Kind of like that one member we have that made good money and contacts with MFG that usually took money for nothing from everyone else that wasn't based in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Wasn't that you???
    Nope, MFG never got any of my money. I did pay for a couple RFQ sites ages ago but they were low fee start ups and they all quickly failed. I think one was called Quality Vendor, I maybe burned $100 between 3 of them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    I dunno, putting the price tag on that job up, bragging about how profitable it was, and then not taking it... That feels like trolling. At that price most would have struggled to make shop rate.

In almost every thread he brings up how large/successful/profitable his company is. The only reason I engage is that I don't want other people to read his BS and take it to heart.
    It was too big of a job for the current workload. We can't accept them all no matter how much money they are worth.

I have a score of 98 and I intended to keep it that way by not missing deadlines.

Have to keep in mind.... It was about $1000 in materials, no special tools, just a fixture and some flips of the part.

Very profitable job, if you couldn't make shop rate on that job you should probably close up shop and find a new career.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea, I don't think he is necessarily trolling either. But, watching his ISO boner is getting pretty annoying.
    Iso has made me a ton of money, it could make you a ton of money too... Just too stubborn to give it a try and that's ok. People need shops to make fidget spinner a and other small little profit items.

Hell iso has made me so much money that my wife and I are building a new 3100sqfr passive house in a few months. No loans, cash paid in full, $200 per sqft.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL.

Like I said; should be 'nuff here for people to draw their own conclusions about the evangelist on here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your profile says aerospace interests you yet you're anti ISO. Now that's rich Xometry-Who is doing it?

Dualkit has it right. We built a cell to cater to low qty, complex parts, short lead time jobs. My programmer isnt the best programmer but it can make an inefficient program fast that gets chips flying.

We keep materials in stock, not always the best size but the part price for what we accept works out fine. Point is we have materials which gives more lead time to manufacture of we need it.

Hardly trolling, just sharing what we do, why, and showing that xometry can make you money...it's making us money right now. Of there were more jobs, I'd buy more machines but there isn't enough, consistent available jobs that are a fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Iso has made me a ton of money, it could make you a ton of money too... Just too stubborn to give it a try and that's ok. People need shops to make fidget spinner a and other small little profit items.

Hell iso has made me so much money that my wife and I are building a new 3100sqfr passive house in a few months. No loans, cash paid in full, $200 per sqft.

like I said...........