Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    It's one of the parts inside of Offer #J001ca35.
    Brazed reamer to drill rod, make two passes different size reamers. Then use tubing.

We have an od grinder for the od.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about J001CA6B?

3x pieces
    1x 33.5" x 6.5" x 1" (start with 34" x 7" of 1-1/4" plate)
    2x 3" x 3" x 1/2"
    Type II black
    6-day turnaround
    ~$1,000

2 days to make them, assuming you had material on the shelf for the parts AND the backside fixture
    1 day to get them to anodize ($$ for overnight shipping)
    1 day to anodize them
    1 day to get them back ($$ for overnight shipping)
    1 day to inspect and package

Take out $200 for material (3 parts and a backside fixture), $200 for shipping back and forth for anodize, $200 for rush anodize, and you have $400 left.

If you have in-house anodize, this part probably works for you.

Regards.

Mike
    Last edited by Finegrain; 01-23-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: I had misread the offer details, there is only 1 large part and 2 small ones

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about J001CA6B?

3x pieces
    33.5" x 6.5" x 1" (start with 34" x 7" of 1-1/4" plate)
    Type II black
    6-day turnaround
    ~$1,000

2 days to make them, assuming you had material on the shelf for the parts AND the backside fixture
    1 day to anodize them

Take out $350 for material (3 parts and a backside fixture), $200 for shipping back and forth for anodize, $200 for rush anodize, and you have $250 left.

Regards.

Mike
    Or you can use xometry finishing. They will ship direct to xometry. We do it often now that it's available.

Prices are very fair, no minimum lot charges and fast shipping.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Or you can use xometry finishing. They will ship direct to xometry. We do it often now that it's available.

Prices are very fair, no minimum lot charges and fast shipping.

Based on your experience, what would Xometry finishing charge for 1-day turnaround Type II black on 3x 33.5" x 6.5" x 1" parts? One challenge I have with Xometry finishing is by the time I get a bid back for the finishing, the part has been taken by someone else. So I have to have a pretty good idea on price and turnaround straightaway, then take the part and hope the finishing cost and turnaround are what I thought they would be.

What if the anodizer blows the schedule? Who takes the hit for late delivery?

Regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Based on your experience, what would Xometry finishing charge for 1-day turnaround Type II black on 3x 33.5" x 6.5" x 1" parts? One challenge I have with Xometry finishing is by the time I get a bid back for the finishing, the part has been taken by someone else. So I have to have a pretty good idea on price and turnaround straightaway, then take the part and hope the finishing cost and turnaround are what I thought they would be.

What if the anodizer blows the schedule? Who takes the hit for late delivery?

Regards.

Mike
    We did a part similar in size and anodizing was $35 plus shipping.

If they blow the time they get the ding. And it's happened to us once.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brazed reamer to drill rod, make two passes different size reamers. Then use tubing.

We have an od grinder for the od.

Go for it then, it's been sitting there since Monday.

On edit ...

*** Never mind, I saw you were booked up already. ***

7. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go for it then, it's been sitting there since Monday.

On edit ...

*** Never mind, I saw you were booked up already. ***
    I'd love to take it. I'm in Vegas at building and construction trade show otherwise I'd accept and do it myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about J001CA6B?

3x pieces
    1x 33.5" x 6.5" x 1" (start with 34" x 7" of 1-1/4" plate)
    2x 3" x 3" x 1/2"
    Type II black
    6-day turnaround
    ~$1,000

1 day to anodize them

Take out $200 for material (3 parts and a backside fixture), $200 for shipping back and forth for anodize, $200 for rush anodize, and you have $400 left.

Regards.

Mike
    Not sure where you get your material from, at least around here it's going to be a LOT more than $200

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really trying to take a job, but just don't see the point. Spent some time yesterday working on a quote, got material quoted, but had to wait for quote back on powder coat. Two pieces, one 18x18x1.25, the other 12x12x.5, both 2024. Both had considerable amounts of material removal.

Really glad I did not take the job. Material turned out to be $510, would be $750 to next day it here. Powder coat was $325 for each piece, plus whatever the cost would have been to next day it there, and next day it back. Price for the job was $1500.

Kicker of course, aluminum was a 6 day lead time, powder coat was 4 days to get the powder, then 2 days to powder coat. 2 days shipping to and from powder coat, 14 day lead time, no consideration for machining.

Lead time for the job was 4 days.

11. Likes as9100d, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Really trying to take a job, but just don't see the point. Spent some time yesterday working on a quote, got material quoted, but had to wait for quote back on powder coat. Two pieces, one 18x18x1.25, the other 12x12x.5, both 2024. Both had considerable amounts of material removal.

Really glad I did not take the job. Material turned out to be $510, would be $750 to next day it here. Powder coat was $325 for each piece, plus whatever the cost would have been to next day it there, and next day it back. Price for the job was $1500.

Kicker of course, aluminum was a 6 day lead time, powder coat was 4 days to get the powder, then 2 days to powder coat. 2 days shipping to and from powder coat, 14 day lead time, no consideration for machining.

Lead time for the job was 4 days.
    That's a perfect job to pass on. My advice would be to stick to parts under $600 for your first parts.

Single part number, multiple part qty is ok.
    No finishing

Stainless jobs always pay better unless you don't know how to cut stainless fast. We cut it dry and fast here with hsm toolpaths.

Stay away from finishing requirements.

Find a better material supplier. Your local material suppliers aren't going to be as competitive as say onlinemetals. Use the coupon code "2pac" for 20% off.

We usually see a few day delivery time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a job yesterday that actually made good money on. I happened to have 1-7/8" black acetal round rod on-hand. 4 hours start to finish.

But, it is about 10% of the jobs that I have been seeing, that I would even consider. I'm going to push to get past 5 jobs so I can see what lies at the end of the rainbow .

Regards.

Mike

14. Likes as9100d, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a perfect job to pass on. My advice would be to stick to parts under $600 for your first parts.

Single part number, multiple part qty is ok.
    No finishing

Stainless jobs always pay better unless you don't know how to cut stainless fast. We cut it dry and fast here with hsm toolpaths.

Stay away from finishing requirements.

Find a better material supplier. Your local material suppliers aren't going to be as competitive as say onlinemetals. Use the coupon code "2pac" for 20% off.

We usually see a few day delivery time.

99% of the jobs I see have finishing requirements. If they don't have finishing it is because they are brass, plastic, bakelite, etc.

In the month of January I have had 1, ONE, job on my board that was just machined 1018 with no finishing. I spent almost 30 minutes on it trying to make it work so that I could take the job. Roughing it out w/ 1/4" endmill was 35 min, finish roughing the 4mm slots was another 28min. I didn't get to the 5mm dovetails. Trying to machine that on a 4"x3"x3mm part wasn't going to be worth the $300 they wanted.

I spent about half an hour on the phone with a woman from Xometry yesterday. We were talking about the "finishing" network. I told her I thought it was a great idea, but why didn't Xometry just handle the finishing end. All of the jobs I have requested finishing quotes have been taken before I have gotten a quote back.

I also spoke to her about the pricing. She said most everyone does see different pricing.

There is a job on the board I would take, but they only supplied a model. No print. It would take me about 15 minutes on the manual lathe and about an hour on my universal Brown & Sharpe. They would probably whine about the surface finish of the holes drilled with HSS, but since there are no blueprints... it is hard to say.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not every job is a winner on there. Patience is the key.

We just did a part on there that was 1018 with abouy a million tiny slots in it. I thought for sure it was a job we would lose money on but it worked out. The deburring ate up time but my guys figured it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not every job is a winner on there. Patience is the key.

We just did a part on there that was 1018 with abouy a million tiny slots in it. I thought for sure it was a job we would lose money on but it worked out. The deburring ate up time but my guys figured it out.

I have two days left.... so not sure how much patience will work out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have two days left.... so not sure how much patience will work out.
    Just call them and explain you need more time. Not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just call them and explain you need more time. Not a big deal.

That's what part of the call yesterday was about... apparently it is a big deal. I have two days left. After that I would have to go through the entire application process again. Including machining the test part. Which they still have not paid me for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's what part of the call yesterday was about... apparently it is a big deal. I have two days left. After that I would have to go through the entire application process again. Including machining the test part. Which they still have not paid me for.
    I didn't know that. That's really shitty and I don't approve.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone else seen the "source from china" button? Is that a new thing?

I was looking at quoting out a wire EDM job for a lathe form tool. The lead time does indeed suck, and that's a long few months just to try them out, but if it does work... I hate to say it, but it cuts the price to a fifth what I've had quoted, from a buddy who's getting it to me at cost for time/materials. I just can't imagine being an Xometry supplier knowing all the easy/long lead time jobs are instantly sent to china.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I just have rotten luck. I had to submit an invoice twice to get it to show up in the system, which of course will cause it to be paid late as usual for me. Even though they acknowledged receiving it the first time. Since payday is coming up the 28th I decided to check on it. In Sap Concur it was listed as received when I checked on it a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I looked on Sap Concur and it now comes back as "invoice not found."
    What the hell? I must have e-mailed them a half dozen times asking what the problem is as I submit the invoices in PDF which is what my instruction say to do. Of course I have never gotten a reply. Funny how they give me a bad communication score while I can never get any communication back from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    Anyone else seen the "source from china" button? Is that a new thing?

I was looking at quoting out a wire EDM job for a lathe form tool. The lead time does indeed suck, and that's a long few months just to try them out, but if it does work... I hate to say it, but it cuts the price to a fifth what I've had quoted, from a buddy who's getting it to me at cost for time/materials. I just can't imagine being an Xometry supplier knowing all the easy/long lead time jobs are instantly sent to china.
    I had an ex-friend who worked for a company that sent tool and die work to China and he just reworked anything that needed it. He said it took a while to find a company that could do decent work. He also said they charge about 50% of USA prices. They quickly found out the lower priced places did crappy work. If something from China was only 20% of the USA price after Xometry's mark up and it was a part that needed EDM I would not trust the quality.