Xometry-Who is doing it? - Page 15
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Thanks for the link, but if I had an extra $35,000 laying around I think I would go buy a new 3/4 ton pick up.
    Clearly you haven't looked at 3/4 ton pickups in awhile...

$35k is a reasonable down payment....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

A little over a year ago my Dad bought a Ford F250, the end of the '18's. 35k.

Granted, it doesn't have carpet, no cruise control, no back seat, It doesn't have
    an entertainment system, just an AM/FM radio. Grey painted steel wheels, and only
    2 doors, the precise # of doors that God intended for there to be on pickups.

It does have 4wd though.

When he told me that he just went out and bought a new F250 I figured he had just dumped
    at least $50k if not more. I have no idea what the MSRP is on it.

Add another $5k for the plow.

So they are there if you look hard enough, and you are willing to

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who buys used trucks?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

True, I haven't shopped for a new vehicle in 15 years. I run them till they quit. I use my 2004 Tahoe as a pick-up truck and if I need more hauling space I tow a trailer. With the back two seats removed and the other two folded down there is almost as much room as a 6 foot truck bed has.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I never saw that "exclusive offer" again when I asked for an extra 6 days. It never returned to my job board.
    On a more comical note there is a 12 piece Teflon job for a whooping $148 available. Get this, 5/32" o.d. 1/4" long round part with a blind hole .0779-.0784 diameter in it. Seriously .0005 included hole diameter tolerance with around a .040 wall on Teflon? How do you measure that?
    The kick in the pants, it probably does nothing that requires that tolerance!

After looking again, I don't think a micro-vu would measure that. You could get deltronic pins, but would be spending alot of time futzing around with tweezers and magnifying head gear (or I would as the vision and manual dexterity are slipping). Hell with measuring it, how would you hold and machine the damn thing?? I suppose somewhere somewhere does this type of work regularly and may be ok at $148?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Thats a prime example of a part you pass on and dont look back. Not every job is a good job but there are lots of good ones. Just have to pick the ones that fit your business model and capabilities.
    Well.... it seems you are the only one getting profitable jobs so what gives? It's like 10-1 here with guys who see all the impossible money losing work, and you make money on everything?

Also, if you have a cell (which was discussed), it's a different ballgame than a guy trying to fill in. I doubt many owners here have time to stare at their email all day, or check their phone every ten minutes hoping to see that unicorn from Xometery.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm getting some decent jobs. Just completed #5. One job I made ~125% of shop rate. One job was ~60%, a couple were 80%.

95% of the jobs I see are weird enough that I'd make a minor fraction of normal shop rate. You have to wade through lots of those to get the few that are reasonable. And you have to be quick, or else someone else will snap it up. And you have to have everything on the shelf already -- material, tooling, finishing, etc. Otherwise there's no way you can meet the deadline.

Really, the only reason I started with Xometry is some of my regular customers went dark around November and I was hurting for work. If things with my regular customers pick up to where they were the last couple years, I won't be hunting for Xometry jobs.

Regards.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    The kick in the pants, it probably does nothing that requires that tolerance!

After looking again, I don't think a micro-vu would measure that. You could get deltronic pins, but would be spending alot of time futzing around with tweezers and magnifying head gear (or I would as the vision and manual dexterity are slipping). Hell with measuring it, how would you hold and machine the damn thing?? I suppose somewhere somewhere does this type of work regularly and may be ok at $148?
    A micro vu would measure it, no problem. Is that an accurate measurement? That's a different can of worms.

I obviously can't see the part, but if you handed me a drawing for a .156" x .250" part with a .078" blind hole, I could have it setup and programmed in about 20 mins, actual run time for 12pcs would be less than half that, assuming I had the bar stock, and a main/guide bushing for that stock. I've already got the tools to pre drill and bore that hole to size in the tool crib.

But that's a niche thing... How many people have a boring bar in stock that will do .078" x .250"dp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post

But that's a niche thing... How many people have a boring bar in stock that will do .078" x .250"dp?
    I actually have that set-up in a spare drill spindle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Well.... it seems you are the only one getting profitable jobs so what gives? It's like 10-1 here with guys who see all the impossible money losing work, and you make money on everything?

Also, if you have a cell (which was discussed), it's a different ballgame than a guy trying to fill in. I doubt many owners here have time to stare at their email all day, or check their phone every ten minutes hoping to see that unicorn from Xometery.
    IDK what gives, I can just tell you what I have and you can see whats different for you... I have ISO and AS9100 and ITAR and NADCAP for chemfilm

I agree as far as completing work on time, a cell is a different ballgame than most shops looking to just fill in work. To do Xometry work with profit you kind of have to be all in or nothing. Also that may be another flaw you have, The emails are slow, keep the window open and it will auto refresh with new jobs. I have a vertical monitor as one my my 3 monitors on my desk that I keep open with email and Xometry jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

90% of the jobs I see are 4-5 axis mill work which I don't do. The only advantage I have is doing passivating and I have a system to bead blast small parts at high volume cheap and quick with little labor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought I would update this thread with my experience so far ...

I've done 10 Xometry jobs. Some I didn't make enough, some I made extra. Average, I'd say within 20% of where I normally want to be.

Some key factors:

1. Most jobs are pretty wacky, almost unmachinable -- you just need to ignore those.
    2. The straightforward work gets snapped up very quickly, you have to be right there on the portal when they pop up.
    3. Most of the time you have to have material and tooling on the shelf, as you will not have time to source and still meet the deadline.
    4. Look for niche work -- I have done a few Delrin jobs that were straightforward, it seems like no one wants to do plastics work

Bottom line is if I had steady work like I had up until last December, I wouldn't bother with Xometry. It's unpredictable and stressful, but you can make money at it. It is good filler work when things are slow.

Regards.

Mike

13. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    4. Look for niche work -- I have done a few Delrin jobs that were straightforward, it seems like no one wants to do plastics work
    The few plastic jobs I have seen all have ridiculous tolerances, after getting a part rejected that should not have been and then never restoring my score no way am I going to run a plastic part with .0005 included tolerance on a hole diameter or .001 included on a diameter or length.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tolerances for plastic are .01 unless noted...and if its noted then those are the jobs you reject and say why you reject it. More often than not they will open the tolerance up and fix the issues or remove the part from their system all together.

They are machinists also....they know you cant hit a .0005 included tolerance on a hole diameter in plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if there's an AI or script opportunity here. User joins xometry as supplier, and also sets up/trains this AI (or script, or tool) to scan the board, and reject all jobs that are silly (for that shop) and sound a bell and direct the bidding officer (whoever that might be) to the xometry board if jobs that fit that particular shop come by.

Finegrain notes "on the shelf tooling" - well an obvious tactic is to have a database of the tools you have made up, and materials you have in stock, and some tool that scans the board and finds the jobs that could be run "from stock" on both materials and tooling.

Actually, I'm kind of suprized xometry doesn't offer this to you.....