Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am new at quoting so I thought this would be a good way to find work. I never have accepted a job from them because the price they offer is always really low.
    When I find a part that looks like a good fit for my machine and skills, then check the price, Oh no, there is no way I can make any money on that, unless I have scrap material I can use.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol, good, I am not along. I requote several jobs for them and I couldn't get near to their prices, is like pay them to so their job, o don't know how people keep working for them. If is anybody here that make money with Xometry please let us know your secret...😁

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Russ if anyone....

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s all about overhead a big shop with big overhead isn’t going to bother with Xometry. They just can’t compete because of their costs. A small homeshop Harry who needs something to fill the gaps between runs is a perfect fit since they have low overhead and cost per hour isn’t as big a concern as long as they make a couple bucks in the interim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Russ if anyone....

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    That was MFG. Which, compared to Xometry, actually doesn't look so bad.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Whysosharp View Post
    It’s all about overhead a big shop with big overhead isn’t going to bother with Xometry. They just can’t compete because of their costs. A small homeshop Harry who needs something to fill the gaps between runs is a perfect fit since they have low overhead and cost per hour isn’t as big a concern as long as they make a couple bucks in the interim.
    I disagree. I saw some screen-shots showing pricing.
    I make aluminum widgets for a living. I do it as cheap and fast as anybody.
    And, I have never, ever made an aluminum widget where the total part cost was less than triple the material cost. NEVER
    I have even quoted parts that way before. Hmmm, low tolerance 2-D aluminum widget? Material is $2? Okay part is $6 (there are minimum quantities of course).
    Some of the Xometry stuff I saw, you would be lucky if there was $0.30 left on a part that used $2 worth of material. Fuck that!

Now, I have also been told, there is a system. And, you can work it to your advantage.
    Sort of like being a flat-rate mechanic.
    I have a good buddy, that used to be a flat-rate heavy-line mechanic. And, his brother-in-law did the exact same job, in the bay next to him.
    They both made the same hourly rate. But BIL was good at working the system, and made bank. My buddy? Not so much.
    I can see Xometry being the same way to some extent.

But, so far from what I have seen? I am out just because I think it is terrible for the industry! And, it is totally NOT my style to assimilate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    That was MFG. Which, compared to Xometry, actually doesn't look so bad.........
    I know.
    Such my reference.

FWIW - I have made oodles of parts that material is half the cost, and on occassion - more, but I really don't like that!
    Mill work /= to turning.

Actually - the real bitch mill job that I spent so much time tooling up last winter - the total labor was 1/2 the material cost!
    That was some REALLY expensive material (forging) which made it so scary!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wanted to add to the thought that there must be a way to work the system, but that I have not found it. They say the quality rating is all based on the number of parts accepted with no nonconformances. So doing 1 stupid simple part that they offer for basically zero money would increase your score, whereas doing a very complicated part with a hundred dimensions but failing one dimension would fail the part and count against you. Also, no thought is put into the use of the part. Everything needs to be +/-5, even the what are obviously screw clearance holes, part lightening holes, manifold flow passages, etc.I have more negative comments about the system than positive. The one positive I have is that they do pay on time, every time. They are very quick to fail a part in QC which hurts your vendor rating but Ive never had it effect the money. Likely they still had a satisfied customer or they build in some cost for minor rework. Last comment, I have never (figuratively) talked to the same person twice. You get bombarded with requests for status updates from different people, ask a question to one person, another one responds. The staff must be huge, turnover high (since its often a month between to jobs we've done), or its just a call center. There is no chance to develop a human connection. I guess if you can use them like they use you its ok.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Xometry is working for us. In 2018 we did over $200K meeting our Gross Margin and Contribution Margin expectations. If it doesn't pass that test we don't take the work period. That goes for any customer...

Just saw this hanging on our Xometry Sales Person's Cube...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_7256.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have only done a few jobs, all beer and pizza money. I am looking for lathe work and mostly mill work gets put on my job board. I have seen quite a few short run jobs that look like there would be good money in it for me except for issues that arise because of my location.

A good example, a 6 piece aluminum job that would have taken $5 of material I had in stock and I had all the tooling. I figure program, set-up, run, clean and pack would have taken from 3-5 hours. The job was worth $600. The issue was it needed type III anodize. The only anodizer in driving distance, 60 miles each way charges $287.50 minimum for type III. I used to pay $75 in So Cal minimum lot, 10 miles away and they always turned the jobs in 24 hours without expediting charges. It always seems the jobs requiring anodize don't have a long enough lead time to risk shipping or trusting someone I haven't used before even if they charge sky high prices.

Another issue on onesy, twosey jobs with decent money on short lead times. My local metal suppliers, one has a high minimum, even for cash will calls, the other will not sell less than a full bar length, even if you need 12" round. If you order from an internet store where I live you can't trust UPS during storms or poor road conditions, they will drop it at the local post office to complete delivery sometimes delaying things a week.
    I cannot take a small job with a week or so lead time if I don't have the material.

If I was back in So Cal with an anodizer with reasonable prices and quick turnaround 10 miles away, DANCO and a metal yard the same distance that sold drops IMS I believe I could make good money on $200-$600 lathe jobs on Xometry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, a guy I know (over the internet, common interest) was having vendor issues on some machined aluminum components.
    He asked me if I could help. I sure wanted to (common interest thing again). But, he had a hard date there was just no way I could get even close to.
    I just told him flat out "your needed lead-time is ludicrous". (which it really is for what he needs done)

He messaged me today and said he has parts on order through Xometry. I am curious to see how this goes!
    I predict one of two scenarios:
    a) he doesn't get his parts on time.
    b) the parts don't bolt together.

There could also be finish/quality issues (highly visible "showy" parts.

I hope it goes well for him! I really do.

Did you ever find out how this project worked out for your friend?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've been buying parts of medium complexity from them for the past few months. Honestly, we've been very happy with the prices and timing/quality have been fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hightemp View Post
    We've been buying parts of medium complexity from them for the past few months. Honestly, we've been very happy with the prices and timing/quality have been fine.
    You are not "buying parts from them". They don't make anything (except money).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolmaker96 View Post
    Did you ever find out how this project worked out for your friend?
    Yea. They look like shit. But, they fit and worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just another company in the Uber model. They take the work of others, pay them a pittance, and rake in the money. Technology being used to create subsistence jobs (which once offered a living wage).

Yay...

16. Likes wheelieking71, camscan, triumph406, VTM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

another round of venture funding for them: Xometry: On-Demand Manufacturing Marketplace Completes $50MM Funding Round | 3DPrint.com | The Voice of 3D Printing / Additive Manufacturing

I can see how it would work if you have a guy sitting in a cube watching like a hawk for the good jobs. I've seen good ones on there, but they are gone in seconds it seems. Mostly the jobs have something weird about them making me think customers go there when their local shops no-quote.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, we paid them and parts were delivered. I guess I was kind of thinking it was more or less the same thing as sub-contracting. I like the instant quote functionality and the prices were good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how much Xometry is marking the jobs up? I actually had made a part twice before and they recently asked lead time and price for a 3rd time. I said same price and they came back saying the customer decided to go local. That tells me they have jacked up their cut. Also the lead times seem to be getting shorter and shorter, most are 3 days. If I don't have material in stock that makes it a no go for me, even if I had time.
    Last edited by Dualkit; 05-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.

20. Likes ranchak liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Technically they are buying from Xometry if that is where the invoice comes from and the check goes.

They make money...the American dream...nothing wrong with that. I suspect that is what everyone here tries to do...some do it better than others.

Their business model works for them...we have made a lot of money running their jobs. It is not for everyone...nobody is forcing you to take the order. Like I have mentioned before on this thread if they fit the type of work we are going after and it meets our margin requirement we will take it. We pass on all the other jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea. They look like shit. But, they fit and worked.
    Let me know next time he needs something made. I can guarantee I won’t do it cheaper, but I can guarantee it’ll be pretty and work!