Xometry-Who is doing it? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Let me know next time he needs something made. I can guarantee I won’t do it cheaper, but I can guarantee it’ll be pretty and work!
    Yea, same here. I have already told him when he wants to hire a real vendor, just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
    Xometry is working for us. In 2018 we did over $200K meeting our Gross Margin and Contribution Margin expectations. If it doesn't pass that test we don't take the work period. That goes for any customer...

Just saw this hanging on our Xometry Sales Person's Cube...
    What are your Margin expectations and with only $200k in sales over a full year you have a full time person managing this?

3. Likes wheelieking71, DavidScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    What are your Margin expectations and with only $200k in sales over a full year you have a full time person managing this?
    The Sales Person hosts 56 accounts, approximately 1/3 of the Sales for the business...as far as customers goes, Xometry's is in our top 100 customers but not top 10. Thus it is far from a fulltime job.

Margin expectation on a public forum...not going to go there.

But like any customer or work we quote if it does not meet the vetting criteria we simply do not do it. We basically have a form/guideline to follow for vetting opportunities. It works well and has kept us focused in areas we excel at and maximize our expertise and consume our differentiators that separate us from our competition.

Some Xometry work fits us and most doesn't. If you are looking for a simple bracket we are not the shop for you. But if you are looking a complex assembly or complex Sheet Metal part we have the resources.

5. Likes Ox, digger doug, coffeetek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    I have done several jobs for them, and planning to do more this year, like others have said pick and choose the ones that work for you.

Its an automated quoting platform, its not perfect and there are times its in your favor, there is a method to their system, be smarter than the system

Don't get me wrong, majority of parts are designed by message board engineers, so there is no consideration for end mill size or number of setups. Simple parts that requires multiple setups cause the designer just got fancy with his pirated copy of Solidworks (tons of the drawings actually have the Solidworks "Student License, for academic use only" stamp on the drawings, apparently Xometry is cool with people using pirated stuff)
    Some people, like me, are students using a valid student license, and ordering through Xometry. Actually, I know several university research staff/students who use it.

7. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started the onboarding process about five weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them. I have started to use them for supplies since their cut aluminum pricing is actually really good for small quantities and they get it to me quickly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are a vendor with them. We get some really high paying as9100d required cert work along with itar stuff. Pays as good or better than prime work but they don't play around with lead times. It's very fast paced.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Internet middlemen: these guys aren't in the manufacturing business. They're in the exploitation business.

When a customer purchases through them, they're developing a relationship with THEM, not YOU. You have no control of repeat business. You get no branding recognition.

Think about economic trends. When shops are hurting, they thrive.

HARD PASS.

11. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I make parts for my customer, they may or may not incorporate that part into their product, and then they sell it to someone else anyhow.
    I am not developing a relationship with their customer either.

From what I gather - this is basically a prototype supplier?
    Doo they even have repeat work to be had?
    And if they doo - does it most likely come back to the last guy - ass_u_ming that he holds his price?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It goes to whomever signs in and takes the work first is my impression.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    Internet middlemen: these guys aren't in the manufacturing business. They're in the exploitation business.

When a customer purchases through them, they're developing a relationship with THEM, not YOU. You have no control of repeat business. You get no branding recognition.

Think about economic trends. When shops are hurting, they thrive.

HARD PASS.
    I both agree and disagree with you. They have a vetting process and take quality very seriously now so more than ever. If you want cheap parts....xometry isnt where you go...If you need quality and no fuss, xometry is where you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I both agree and disagree with you. They have a vetting process and take quality very seriously now so more than ever. If you want cheap parts....xometry isnt where you go...If you need quality and no fuss, xometry is where you go.
    I thought xometry was the one people were reporting jobs at less than material cost?

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought xometry was the one people were reporting jobs at less than material cost?
    That is MFG.com

18. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    It goes to whomever signs in and takes the work first is my impression.
    Exactly, you are correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I spent a little time playing around on their website.

Who has done the Xometry test piece? If I can ask, they repeatedly state you will be "reimbursed" for the test piece, but nowhere can I find WHAT you will be reimbursed? How were you reimbursed?

What is pricing like? I just put a simple part in, , small 1/2"x2", 1018, standard tolerance, and they quoted $183 for one piece. 50 pcs is $22ea standard lead time, $21ea expedited lead time. What would I be making these parts for? $15ea? $11ea? I cannot find anything on their website on pricing other than it is magical through their super duper computer.

A few things are certainly turn offs... I have to submit a QMS and have instrument calibration logs for all gauges in the shop?

I guess I don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops to look at widget jobs with a wide open tolerance (.005" is wide open) but I have to complete a bunch of BS and machine their test part to get $50 and a the opportunity to look at those jobs.

Has anyone called and talked to a person? I wonder, is it possible for me to look at some jobs, and pricing, before completing all the BS?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did the test piece. They said I would be reimbursed $150. I never got it. What was annoying is they gave me one print to make and measured it against another which had extra dimensions. Back when I got into it (2 years ago), there was no required calibration record requirement, but maybe that has changed. If you're a small shop, unless you're really slow (can compete with shops who have sales guy in cube watching like a hawk all day), you're probably barking up the wrong tree. The good jobs disappear in minutes and what lingers has something goofy with it. Maybe that changes if you have some quality management certification. I don't so I don't know. To me, it's a gig economy race to the bottom. Maybe it has it's place, but not for the small shop imho.

22. Likes AARONT liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did the test piece and afterward found out they would reimburse me when I got paid for my first job, so I never got reimbursed. I haven't paid attention to it for about 2 years now so things may have changed but back then it seemed if you set yourself up to do this type of work you could maybe survive on it, if you got fairly good at it. As filler work I would make maybe $30hr because I try to do a 500 part minumum run so I'm out of practice on the short run stuff.

If you have some part cad files of things you make you could get some quotes to get an idea of what they would pay, that is what really cooled my interest. Keep in mind you will have to fill out an inspection report with the parts and other stuff so making the parts is about half to 3/4s of the work involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I spent a little time playing around on their website.

Who has done the Xometry test piece? If I can ask, they repeatedly state you will be "reimbursed" for the test piece, but nowhere can I find WHAT you will be reimbursed? How were you reimbursed?

What is pricing like? I just put a simple part in, , small 1/2"x2", 1018, standard tolerance, and they quoted $183 for one piece. 50 pcs is $22ea standard lead time, $21ea expedited lead time. What would I be making these parts for? $15ea? $11ea? I cannot find anything on their website on pricing other than it is magical through their super duper computer.

A few things are certainly turn offs... I have to submit a QMS and have instrument calibration logs for all gauges in the shop?

I guess I don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops to look at widget jobs with a wide open tolerance (.005" is wide open) but I have to complete a bunch of BS and machine their test part to get $50 and a the opportunity to look at those jobs.

Has anyone called and talked to a person? I wonder, is it possible for me to look at some jobs, and pricing, before completing all the BS?
    LOL yea the test part is 304 or 316 and reimburse you "$100" if it passes CMM inspection

Basically they don't anymore Tormach shops hence the QMS and Calibration Logs. They want shops- FFL, ISO or AS9100 or shops with alot of equipment but the problem is they don't pay enough which leaves me to next thing Pricing- From you're example 1/2" X 2 1018 $183 one piece you would get $60-$80 (one piece) ~$7.3 @50 pcs. The pricing isn't the same for every shop meaning I could login in and you could login in and the price will be different we could get the job for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I avoided the test piece and QMS and calibration logs because I was a Maketime vendor who Xometry bought out. I do have to turn in material certs, finishing certs and inspection reports. I did my first job a little less than a year ago. I am about to finish a job as we speak, it will only be my fifth which supposedly is the magic number to unlock more opportunities, their words, not mine.

A couple things keep me from taking work. First, my listed machines are all CNC lathes, yet 85% of what I see is 3-5 axis mill work. When I talked to a live human a while back they said they got a lot more mill work compared to lathe jobs. A lot of the small lot lathe jobs required anodize and the local plater to me charges through the roof. Someone who can anodize in house would have an advantage. As mentioned before very short lead times are another problem as my local metal suppliers either have a high minimum or won't sell less than a 12 foot bar, no matter what the size. Also like others said the good jobs get snatched up quick. Communication is an issue also and lot of the part files are lacking tolerances. Rarely do you call with a question and get someone to give you a quick answer.

The job I am doing now wasn't bad except I bought a 12 foot bar of 1.375" 303 stainless to use 17 inches of it. So half my profits will sit in the material shed. Online with shipping would have cost $80 or so for 2 feet, so why not pay $173 for 12 feet delivered from the local vendor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I signed up with them and did the sample piece because things were slow. Prices are a bit low but good enough to keep spindles going during downtime. My biggest issue is the lead times are super short. Not bad for machined finished parts if your just twiddling your thumbs at the shop and have some spare time and material, but when they want parts done and anodized within 3 days, you better have anodizing in house. You really need to watch like a hawk for the gravy work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    The job I am doing now wasn't bad except I bought a 12 foot bar of 1.375" 303 stainless to use 17 inches of it. So half my profits will sit in the material shed.
    144"-17" = 127"

optimum "pig roaster" sized....

Sell it locally on craigslist for $200, make sure you use
    buzzwords like "stainless" "Mil-Spec", and wait for it..."Billet"....

28. Likes Fal Grunt, Bobw liked this post