Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    144"-17" = 127"

optimum "pig roaster" sized....

Sell it locally on craigslist for $200, make sure you use
    buzzwords like "stainless" "Mil-Spec", and wait for it..."Billet"....
    You forgot "air craft" I am pretty sure there is a part made out of 303 somewhere on some airplane, some place.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You forgot "air craft" I am pretty sure there is a part made out of 303 somewhere on some airplane, some place.
    If'n you make them from heavy wall pipe, you could drill holes in the middle section, and offer a kit with a rotary union at one end....marinating from the inside....a "Dualkit Exclusive Feature"

Get in with some aging rockers, to come up with a blend of booze, tequila
    and beer for the "special sauce".

3. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I signed up and made the test part for them. This was about two years ago. They never paid me for it.

I must have reviewed over 100 parts during that initial phase. Not one of them could be done for what they asked. You could also tell that lots of them were designed by either inexperienced designers who knew nothing about machining or people using 3D printers to prototype. In other words, stuff that was in a range between impossible to make to ridiculous to make.

This process was very time consuming. You have to be very careful, download them models and really look at them carefully or you'll get stuck with a weird feature that will require special tooling or is nearly impossible to make.

I gave up. The way I put it to the sales guy was: If you are using AI, it sucks.

5. Likes AARONT, toolmaker96 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just rejected one for $1500 and replied with a price of $6200 and a 7 day longer lead time. They replied with a new posting with that price and lead time so I accepted. This was for a 4 piece order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I've done that with dozens of jobs. I've also done extensive manufacturability reviews trying to help the client. Never had any of those come back for acceptance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I just rejected one for $1500 and replied with a price of $6200 and a 7 day longer lead time. They replied with a new posting with that price and lead time so I accepted. This was for a 4 piece order.
    The best is when you go through all that, but they put it back up on the board with your price; so it is promptly accepted by somebody else in about 30 seconds.

I use them more than I care to admit, but I don't feel great about it. I also don't like to tell other people about it, because I don't want to compete against them when they are having a weak moment. It is an automated system designed to push prices as low as possible.

Oh, and it's definitely a part of my revenue stream that I am looking to grow out of; not into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    The best is when you go through all that, but they put it back up on the board with your price; so it is promptly accepted by somebody else in about 30 seconds.

I use them more than I care to admit, but I don't feel great about it. I also don't like to tell other people about it, because I don't want to compete against them when they are having a weak moment. It is an automated system designed to push prices as low as possible.

Oh, and it's definitely a part of my revenue stream that I am looking to grow out of; not into.
    Glad to hear your input.

I started the onboarding process yesterday after talking to a "partner" something or other manager. He was pretty candid with me and admitted the first 5 jobs I most likely would not make any money. He said part of the process is them learning my abilities and skill sets. I expressed my concerns and told him some about my shop, the kind of work I do, they are lacking in shops who can do that kind of work.

I don't plan on living on it, but if I can get a few decent paying jobs a month, it would be really nice to help even out my cash flow.

Kudos to the guys who can take time walking in doors and making cold calls, offering their services. I do not know if it is the area I am in, or the people, but that has never worked out for me. The only people who have responded to such efforts have been folks who want work done for free. Most of the companies in the area who would need/want machine work done won't make you a vendor unless their doing significant amounts of work.

I actually like the job board type system. I have a vendor that sends me items with a price. Can you make this for XX? If I can make it and make money, I take the job. If I can't I just say no thanks. Saves me a lot of time from quoting.

Quoted a job recently that took 4 hours to quote. Lots of thinking, lots of sourcing tooling, lots of issues to deal with. Sent the quote and never heard a word.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Glad to hear your input.
    I started the onboarding process yesterday after talking to a "partner" something or other manager. He was pretty candid with me and admitted the first 5 jobs I most likely would not make any money. He said part of the process is them learning my abilities and skill sets. I expressed my concerns and told him some about my shop, the kind of work I do, they are lacking in shops who can do that kind of work.
    From my experience someone is most likely blowing smoke up your ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s very possible. Either way I’ll be posting more as I go.

I frankly doubt I’ll be a good fit. I typically do high value work, with tighter tolerances and harder to machine materials. I machine nearly zero aluminum, tolerances of plus minus .005 are laughable, and in the 10 years I’ve owned my business I have yet to have a customer bring me a simple 2D widget.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed.

I don't want to get too conspiratorial here, but there appears to be an incentive to on-board new shops constantly that are willing to do a handful of work at cost. Again, it's why I try not to advertise for them. The 5 jobs that you do at cost could be 5 jobs where my "reasonable" counter-offers are not accepted.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and there are many of us capable of doing high precision work. However, my experience is that Xometry doesn't place enough value on that. Often the price difference between a job requiring +/- .005 all over and +/- .001 all over is less than 25%. As far as I know there is nothing preventing home gamers from accepting jobs for parts that they really cannot produce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    I don't want to get too conspiratorial here, but there appears to be an incentive to on-board new shops constantly that are willing to do a handful of work at cost.
    Yeah, it's hard not to think this way. If they can convince you that you'll start doing well after a dozen jobs or so, they get shops working at a loss making thousands of parts. The other thing we don't know is their markup. One of these days I am going to create a separate account, post a ridiculous part and see what the process looks like from the other side of the equation.

In my case they told me something like (I can't remember exactly) "You have to be patient. You'll get higher value parts as you build-up your standing on the system. We need to know that you can do the work". To which I told them I just made their damn test part and if they have a more complex test part I'll make that too, don't jerk me around.

This conversation happened after I evaluated somewhere between 50 and 100 parts and did not accept a single job. BTW, this is before they had a 3D viewer on the website like they do now. So I literally had to download every single part, open it in Solidworks and read through drawings, if provided, and even sometimes fire-up CAM to see if the darn thing could be manufactured (the case of "I 3D printed this and now I need it in aluminum"). So, I was pretty bothered by the waste of time all of that represented.

One of my favorite things I saw all the time --besides things you literally can't cut even with 5 axis-- are things like fillets everywhere, even inside ridiculously deep holes or pockets and things you could only make with hours of machine time countouring. It's what I call "design to make it pretty" rather than DFM.

-Martin

15. Likes ranchak, RC Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    That’s very possible. Either way I’ll be posting more as I go.

I frankly doubt I’ll be a good fit. I typically do high value work, with tighter tolerances and harder to machine materials. I machine nearly zero aluminum, tolerances of plus minus .005 are laughable, and in the 10 years I’ve owned my business I have yet to have a customer bring me a simple 2D widget.
    My comment was directed at the fact it seemed their representative was acting like they would tailor their offerings to fit you once you completed 5 jobs. I have done 5 jobs spread out over almost a year and nothing has changed. I still get the same 3-5 axis mill jobs with a gamut of features in 95%+ of the offerings when I never even listed having even a manual mill. I was looking for Swiss jobs but those appear to be rare. I have listed my capacity as lathe work up to 6" x 10", I also reinforce that when I reject jobs on my board, yet the mill work keeps coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been keeping tabs on this thread for a while now. We are a xometry partner. I shipped my 200th job today, and also broke the 500k in sales barrier with them. We started 1.5 years ago. They are my most consistent customer, and profitable to boot. I'm not sure what others job boards look like but mine is littered with quality jobs that fit our shop. We are small, 3 guys and 4 cncs.

18. Likes Ewindward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nateacox View Post
    I've been keeping tabs on this thread for a while now. We are a xometry partner. I shipped my 200th job today, and also broke the 500k in sales barrier with them. We started 1.5 years ago. They are my most consistent customer, and profitable to boot. I'm not sure what others job boards look like but mine is littered with quality jobs that fit our shop. We are small, 3 guys and 4 cncs.
    This almost reads like a shill post, due to the fact it lacks detail.

20. Likes toolmaker96, Larry Dickman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used to be GREAT. But have been experiencing unreasonable and nearly impossible turn around times that deserve far more money. Been seeing jobs that have lead times of one, two, or three days with seemingly complex parts. We are a 4 person shop, and wont be able to source material, program, manufacture, and inspect within that time frame. But would love to know any recommendations you guys have of meeting a 48 hour turn around time.

22. Likes ranchak, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JackatSDS View Post
    Used to be GREAT. But have been experiencing unreasonable and nearly impossible turn around times that deserve far more money. Been seeing jobs that have lead times of one, two, or three days with seemingly complex parts. We are a 4 person shop, and wont be able to source material, program, manufacture, and inspect within that time frame. But would love to know any recommendations you guys have of meeting a 48 hour turn around time.
    Easy peasy.

One guy works the office, answering phones, quoting, programming, ordering, etc from 6am until 6pm. That way business hours are covered.

Have one guy running all the machinery in the shop from 6am to 6pm.
    Another guy running all the machinery in the shop from 3pm to 3am.
    Another guy running all the machinery in the shop from 9pm to 9am.

The overlap can be used for little short tasks like sawing stock and setting up machines.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This almost reads like a shill post, due to the fact it lacks detail.
    If the guy is legit and having sucess, that's great, but I had exactly the same thought reading his post.

Maybe, as you said, it's just the way it's written. I'm sure if he's willing to share more, people would be interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it's totally a shill post. I felt I answered the op's question. If you don't want to or can't profitably make money doing xometry work, then that's fine. Obviously a lot of shops are, or they would be out of business by now. Op asked who was doing it and what they thought. I answered. If you have a specific question then pm me, or ask. It's a free way for me to reach thousands of customers I would never have a shot at as a small shop. To each is own.

26. Likes 4 FN 27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nateacox View Post
    Yes, it's totally a shill post. I felt I answered the op's question. If you don't want to or can't profitably make money doing xometry work, then that's fine. Obviously a lot of shops are, or they would be out of business by now. Op asked who was doing it and what they thought. I answered. If you have a specific question then pm me, or ask. It's a free way for me to reach thousands of customers I would never have a shot at as a small shop. To each is own.
    No need to get bent out of shape. I said it "almost reads" as a shill post, maybe you should read it again. I did not call you a shill. Obviously if you signed up to pimp Xometry you would not have a couple dozen posts going back a half dozen years. You obviously have a good fit for the work they offer, most don't.