Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    ... spammers have broken through my filters on my business e-mail after 15 years. All the spam subject headings are request for quote, all from different probably spoofed e-mail addresses. I get a dozen of those damn things a day.
    Note yet even TWENTY a day, every day? And from China. are they?

Patience, teergrubber-hopper.

The tactics of mistake have engaged in the War of Position, and you are on the safe end of the microscope.

Poor resource-wasting bastards.. Sowing paranoia in their supply and distribution channels!

Damned shame some one-time instructor in Psychological Warfare wound-up a whole buncha 30 to 50'ish gullibles in PRC ..starting well before COVID, BTW... that a new era was coming.

Got them to understand it was crucial to their future economic survival that they shift gears and put all resources into finding not one alternative route, but MANY .... to go around their no longer to be trusted traditional middlemen

..to reach eager US customers. You-know - the ones ever-so hungry to deal directly with MADE IN CHINA entities.

Should work even better if they would be so warm and friendly as to OPEN their message by wishing us well and safe from COVID-19 to PROVE to us they meant for us to enjoy nothing but their best!

Might that be pissing-off the Banksters, suppliers, middlemen, and customers to a fare-the-well as each dog attempts to cannibalize the other on ever-more meagre rations?

Well.. shit?

Don't look at ME!

"Unintended consequences" to ANY psy war op are ALWAYS the realm of some other desk within the bureau of dirty tricks.

"Trouble rather the tiger...."

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Brisbane City Council do call frequently ,always on an unlisted,secret ,unanswerable number .....and make threats and demand money with menaces.....If I write to the council (snail mail) and request a reply in writing ,I get a mobile call from whoever ....zero evidence ,as its illegal to record a govt employee.One of the inspectors was running a terror campaign against me ,I suspect on behalf of a real estate developer.Letters sent on official letterhead were always ..."Comply ,and we will take no further action".....Phone calls ,and a site visit ,in the nature of threats of million dollar fines.....If I referred these scum to the Corruption Comission ......just watch the fallout ....intimidation central.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The Brisbane City Council do call frequently ,always on an unlisted,secret ,unanswerable number .....and make threats and demand money with menaces.....If I write to the council (snail mail) and request a reply in writing ,I get a mobile call from whoever ....zero evidence ,as its illegal to record a govt employee.One of the inspectors was running a terror campaign against me ,I suspect on behalf of a real estate developer.Letters sent on official letterhead were always ..."Comply ,and we will take no further action".....Phone calls ,and a site visit ,in the nature of threats of million dollar fines.....If I referred these scum to the Corruption Comission ......just watch the fallout ....intimidation central.
    LOL!

Chin up. It can work.

"Three for three". here:

US IRS? Two-plus years. 26 letters letters escalating to "take your house and jail your ass", answered with: "your OWN regulation such and such REQUIRES that I do what did.."

Then said neat and tidy package of evidence of egregious fuck-wittism duplicated to three US Senators as a no-further-research-required low-level-staff can JFDI slam dunk.. and SIX formal letters of apology from a badly chastened IRS, embarrassed by their own foolish-arrogant hand.

Even better the "win" against HM Inland Revenue, UK. FOUR years to get them to finally read their own damned regulations we'd been patiently citing and putting in the record!

Hong Kong Inland revenue was shattered in a matter of minutes.

Eastern District Court allowed me to appear before the bar, no solicitors or barristers messing up the arc-light strike as saw over a hundred cases wiped off the docket, an admonishment from the Judge as THEY had to pay Court costs, that Revenue was to never again darken the door of any HK Court until they had USED the simple tool the law already provided, and free for no real effort.

Email Companies House ... note that there were taxes outstanding, XYZ Company, registration # such?

The dirt-cheap but ESSENTIAL Business License could not be renewed!
    Taxes got sorted right away!

Winning toolset, each and every go?

Their OWN law and regulations, themselves the MOST egregious of violators!

"Swamp" creatures do that ALL THE F**KING TIME ....figuring they are immune 'coz it is "their" law ...and you ain't even chopped liver?

You'd have to know how b***dy-minded STUPID-arrogant glorified clarks can pump themselves up to when they confuse themselves with the second coming of a cross between the Devil and Ghengis Khan?

And then the poor dumb bastards meet the REAL one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If they don't have your phone number or email address, they have to respond in writing.

Don't give them the option of calling; if they do, just say that you insist on a written reply and hang up. Then send them another letter - registered post so they can't deny getting it.

I'm doing this ATM with my local council.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m so glad to have found some technology to fight their technology.
    Much like the company that made radar detectors also making the radar guns.
    I have a Google phone Pixel 3XL, turbo, titanium, tactical, billet, and whatever else the teenage marketing people come up with.
    Anyway, it is set to automatically get all the latest Android updates. (I have no idea WTH …)
    As of a few weeks ago, the update turned on some kind of call screening feature, now ALL, repeat ALL spam calls are intercepted and I no longer have to deal with them.
    Also, the Google phone started intercepting the endless text spam too, putting it all in some kind of text jail.
    Kind of starting to miss all that……..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I noticed they the calls stopped the day after I started this thread. Did not notice I lost the dial tone on that line. Calling ever couple of minutes they wore out the switch gear at the telephone company!

Thermite will respond that they do not use mechanical switches anymore, but he does not live in Dewees. Anyway it broke that night.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got a call from Amozon saying I had a purchase that I did not make..looked on the net to find a Amazon phone number. I called that number and it seemed odd.. they gave me a web site to use and the internet said that phone number was related to a scam.
    At Amazon my orders are normal... only what I ordered..
    Talked to Amazon and they said it was a phony scammer..my account is OK.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 07-14-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    If they don't have your phone number or email address, they have to respond in writing.

Don't give them the option of calling; if they do, just say that you insist on a written reply and hang up. Then send them another letter - registered post so they can't deny getting it.

I'm doing this ATM with my local council.

PDW
    Oh, well. THAT explains it, then.

Was wondering WTF our Australian "Cousins" needed with a B-52 arclight strike over some residential machine shop and boatyard in Tas-f**king-mania?

You must have REALLY pissed-off yer local council?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Oh, well. THAT explains it, then.

Was wondering WTF our Australian "Cousins" needed with a B-52 arclight strike over some residential machine shop and boatyard in Tas-f**king-mania?

You must have REALLY pissed-off yer local council?

They don't appreciate my ability to find loopholes in their regulations.

Problem/amusement opportunity for later anyway as I'm in Sydney entertaining myself in different ways. Local council can wait on my return - another reason not to give them an email address or phone number.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    They don't appreciate my ability to find loopholes in their regulations.

PDW
    In the long game, it is better to show them wiser rules, actually. Family got along OK, Somerset, dawn of the 1400's to tail-end of the 1500's move to Nottinghamshire ... and onward. Same again early days Jamestown to present-era Virginia. We'd write, or "motivate" to re-write the regulations instead of contesting them.

I went prepared to argue with our County Head of Code Enforcement to make a plumbing change, Loudoun County. No argument. Found him overjoyed I had the research he NEEDED to make the very change I was sugggesting.

No dummy, he, there were already hints in other US States as to the problem his predecessors had created.

I was just ahead of him as to the research, had found the study down in Florida, printed-out what he needed to make the case.

The change was made.

My own new buried waterline pre-approved off the back of about 18" of sample I left with him to illustrate the better way.

When a family has to live with these folks for hundreds of years between changes of venue? May as well put 'em to work as assets and cooperative folks. They ALWAYS have more than enough enemies. The wiser ones are glad of a bit of support.

Mind, careers in "civils" as they be? FINDING the "wiser ones" may require easily as much digging as the waterline itself had required!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wife received a call this morning from the DEA in Texas. Just in case anyone wants to give them a call: 915 243 5888. I call back for some fun.
    What is your name sir?
    I'm looking at test indicators in the catalog. Blake I reply.
    What is your last name sir?
    Coaxial
    Thank you Mr. Coaxial sir. Hold for a moment while I get your information.
    I have your information and it looks like your in very serious trouble with the SAS.
    What the hell is the SAS?
    Social Security.
    That would be the SSA you dumb son-of-a-bitch. You need to go back to scammer school for about 20 years.

12. Likes Oldwrench, Fal Grunt, 9100 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    What the hell is the SAS?
    LOL! The "SAS" .. were retiree's.

Still young enough and fit enough.. and ALERT enough..to be "greatly appreciated" by old warriors of OTHER "Regiments".. when their black Land Rovers in the civilian role of an "Executive" car service ... carried some among us to and from here and there - London, Heathrow, mostly!

"Who dares, wins" applies in the Boardrooms of corporations every bit as much as in the sad and sorry places on this Earth where high-velocity enemas are administered with terminally extreme prejudice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife freaks out on such notifications or phone spam.
    She will call me at work with "We just got this message or this came as a text message, what did you do? Are we in trouble? It says big fines."
    All worked up.
    She is not a computer person and can hardly use a mouse but addicted to the net and will touch on anything so I get how these scams work.
    Then when I explain how and what she is "You know this, we should setup something like this and make money".
    At this point I have to go "NO-No-no not gonna happen". Not the fear of being caught but one just does not steal from others and most surely you do not prey on those not informed.

Flip side and think that I could have a few million or more in the bank account which is now about empty. I do not know these people and heck they paid. Why not?
    Answer the why or why not if a very, very small chance of any prosecution.

If I make tools to a print or sample and they do not work for whatever reason I do not expect to get paid for what is trash, I failed, my bad.
    A year or so back I got paid for one though a member here that did not run and that still sticks in the craw and bothers me. Just not right.
    Bob

15. Likes fusker, TeachMePlease, ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got an invoice for work done in my email shortly after hanging up with a vendor, sent from the vendor who had been hacked..that one got me but it was locked down quickly. Some of the scams are getting too good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    If I make tools to a print or sample and they do not work for whatever reason I do not expect to get paid for what is trash, I failed, my bad.
    A year or so back I got paid for one though a member here that did not run and that still sticks in the craw and bothers me. Just not right.
    Bob

If I draw the tool, and I drew the tool wrong, and the vendor makes it to my drawing... I pay the vendor. Period. Not their screwup.

If I say "I need a tool that will do XYZ" and let the vendor design the tool, and the tool doesn't work... I still pay the vendor. Or we negotiate new tools, or we come to some agreement we can both be happy with, usually involving me getting a couple different variations to test at no charge.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    If I draw the tool, and I drew the tool wrong, and the vendor makes it to my drawing... I pay the vendor. Period. Not their screwup.

If I say "I need a tool that will do XYZ" and let the vendor design the tool, and the tool doesn't work... I still pay the vendor. Or we negotiate new tools, or we come to some agreement we can both be happy with, usually involving me getting a couple different variations to test at no charge.

No! Say it isn't so!

If you mess up, what hope is there for me?

Actually we do mostly GTOs for standard stuff. That seems to work okay for us.