What's new
What's new

EE DRO Installation

beckley23

Titanium
For those of you unfamiliar with the installation of a DRO, on a lathe, I am posting these pictures and comments.
The first DRO I installed was a Mitutoyo on a Bridgeport many years ago. It was a royal PITA, all the hand cranking to align the scales, etc. The DRO's at the time had glass scales, as do many today, and their construction necessitated the installation procedure. The next DRO I bought for K&T mill was a Newall, and the dealer installed it as part of the sale. Newall was new on the market then. I figured let them do it, if they want to, and after the MTI, I wasn't looking forward to it. The installer had the installation in less than 3 hours.
After watching the installer, and using the Newall for some time, I became a Newall fan. For me these DRO's are basically bullet proof. They survive chips, oil and a lot abuse, and they are very easy to align, although as I have found out they can be troublesome to mount on quite a few machines. I have made or adapted many of the mountings for reader heads. I have a feeling that many of the other brands would be the same, once you get away from the standard Bridgeport types. If you want know why some installations take a long time, and others don't; its the mountings.
Anyway, the mounting on the EE was easy, and pretty straight forward, with little custom fabrication, the display mount, or slight modification to some of the furnished hardware.
There are nine pictures, that I'll post in 2 postings.
1. Microsyn reader and scale installed yesterday. Note the scale mounts, these are very easy to adjust. The reader is installed first and aligned vertically and horizontally + - .002". For the Microsyn, Newall supplies an alignment bar, you don't use the actual scale, that goes in the reader. The screws are tightened as you spin the bar. The object is to be able to spin the bar in the reader while you are locking the hardware in the scale mounts. The Microsyn scales are not clamped in the scale mounts, instead there a screw that threads into one end of the scale through the mount and keeps from moving and the other mount use a plastic set screw to keep that end from moving around.
2. Indicating the Spherosyn reader head. Note the large difference in size from the Microsyn reader. As a testament to Monarch, the horizontal alignment was + - .0005" from the get-go, the vertcal needed some adjustment. To facilitate adjustment, I used an inspection mirror while cranking the carriage.
3. Spherosyn scale and reader installed.
4. Details of the Microsyn reader mounting. The slots in the angle bracket made adjustment easy.
5. Routing the cables. Give some consideration this. You don't want pinch points, snags, etc.
6. More routing the cables. I routed the cables this way, because I don't want them dragging in the pan and getting snarled in chips. It would have easier to let them stay in the pan, and go out the other way.
7. The display mount. This is the only item I had to fabricate.
8. It's alive. Note the reading on the Z axis. This is the total carriage travel on the 30" machine.
9. Details of the Spherosyn scale mount.
ee3.jpg

ee4.jpg

ee6-1.jpg

ee7.jpg

ee8.jpg

Harry

Harry:

I'm sure that DRO will be easy to get use to.

Thanks for the pictures.

What size scales did you use on your 30" EE?

And are they a standard size or did you have to get a custom size?

Hal

6" Microsyn on the cross slide and 30" Spherosyn for the carriage. They are standard sizes.
I'm quite sure I'll get used to it, I was looking at my other engine lathes today, I can see 2 more DRO's in the works.
Harry

The only problem with DRO's on lathes, is that I have figure out how to stretch the follower rests; not that I use the FR's much, but I sure don't intend to take the scales and readers off for a one off job.
Harry

At work they installed these on 2 lathes a couple weeks ago.The longer one is 300 something inches between centers.We have these on cross slides but these are the first for the Z axis.I was wondering how it works since the reader is completely surrounding the tube.Well I found out.The tube sits on little pivoting stands.As the reader comes up to the stands it pushes the stand over and travels over it and when it is past it it springs back up and holds it once again.The tube just lays on top of the stands.Really neat.
Jim

Harry,

I've been wanting to put a DRO on my Monarch 16CY that we repaired a year or so ago. The cross slide is the hardest part and it looks like you have the perfect install on your EE.

When the tail stock slides up to the carriage how much clearance do you have for the scales when the way wipers touch? Would you mind taking another photo to show how it looks when things are jammed up?

Maybe by now you've installed a DRO on one of your other lathes that would be a better comparison to my CY.

My lathe's been working like a champ. Thanks again for all the advice you gave on the rebuild.

Aj

Back