What's new
What's new

10EE coming soon, need advice

Chet Spencer

Aluminum
My very generous boss is purchasing a reconditioned 10EE from a gent in Sonora, CA.

I'm wondering if you guys can recommend some tooling and accessories I should get for it. I do mostly prototyping and Small diameter turning
for musical instruments (pipe organs).

It's coming with a DRO and new 4 jaw chuck, not sure if there's a tool holder so I would appreciate recommendations on that.

The 10EE is a fine collet lathe, despite its ability to do heavier work. Personally I like the handwheel & tube setup, although the Sjogren is a very nice setup too.

Then...if you want to add a DRO...magic

Sjorens for 10EEs are usually 2Js, but 5Cs are available, too.

If I had neither the 5C nosepiece nor the matching draw tube nor closer, which I do, then I would buy a 5C Sjogren.

I was just scoping the specs on Sjoren speed chucks and I see they offer a 3J which has the largest capacity. Are 3J collets not as available or accurate?

2J, 3J and 22J are available, but not all in a D1-3" chuck (check with ATS Workholding to make sure).

Hardinge makes 2J, 3J and 22J collets, and each is as accurate as the other.

2J has the capacity for bar feeding in a 10EE, the others don't.

Thanks Peter,

I hope I can do bar feed and collet stops, can 2J
do collet stops. I was at the ATS site and found
the Sjoren chuck list, I've no experience with lathe collets, but am sure we'll be getting a collet chuck.

My Hardinge 2Js do not have internal threads, therefore stops are not applicable.

A stop is available for the 10EE spindle, and this makes sense when doing production with a Sjogren.

Essentially, this stop is a 12 Jarno taper with a threaded stop.

"I was just scoping the specs on Sjoren speed chucks and I see they offer a 3J which has the largest capacity."

2J - D1-3" (although other CamLock sizes may be available)

3J - D1-6" (although other CamLock sizes may be available)

22J - D1-8" (although other CamLock sizes may be available)

Of these, only the 2J can bar feed to the maximum capacity if the collet and the 10EE's spindle (1-3/8").

thanks for you suggestions, I've learned a lot from this forum and can't wait for the 10ee to arrive.

I was informed it has a 5c lever Collet closer, and DRO.

After searching here. I've ordered a BXA wedge type tool post, and 4" leveling feet. This forum is the mecca of machine tool info.

Hi Chet,
I'm guessing that the seller is Al Sharon? If so, you will be very pleased with the machine, he does a fine job restoring/reconditioning Monarchs. If you get a chance to visit his shop you won't be disappointed; it is full of large Monarchs with a lot of tooling that he has made. He bought a bunch of pallets of Monarch parts when various military bases closed down, so he has a good stock of repair parts & misc. He even had a pallet of versa mill parts, but I think most of that is gone. There were a few versa mill dividing heads left the last time I was there however, and the nice thing about those for the kind of work that you do is that they use an expanding bushing and fit inside the spindle bore, so you can do indexing work on the 10EE.

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with another friend who purchased one of Al's reconditioned lathes (with a VFD that Al installed to replace the DC motor). He lives in Carmel Valley, but you could call him if you want a reference or any info or advise on the purchase. Send me an email if you want his contact info.

-Dave

Back