What's new
What's new

Flow through or blow through

Wayne Takishita

Plastic
I was wondering what is your preferred method of chambering. I got Greg Tanners video of flush through system, action blue-printing, and bolt sleaving. I also got a Darrel Hollands video on chambering. The flush through system looks fast once you get it set up. The older style looks like the ream a little then blow the chips out little at a time takes longer. The flush through system is supposed to give a smoother finish in the chamber, longer tool life, and less chance to damage the rifling with chips. What are your opinions pro and con for each system? Thank you

Wayne. The flush through system probably has advantages, real and theoretical. Whether these advantages are worth the cost to set up is a personal decision. I have only ever used the manual system, and am satisfed with the results. Yes, you do have to go slowly, and frequently stop to clean the barrel and reamer, as well as to reapply cutting fluid. There are concerns about wiping the bore and chamber to remove cuttings, or using compressed air to blow them clear. As far as speeding up the operation is concerned, I find that the most time consuming part of the job is the setup. There is first class work being done both ways, so there is probably no agreement over which method is superior.

Wayne. The flush through system probably has advantages, real and theoretical. Whether these advantages are worth the cost to set up is a personal decision. I have only ever used the manual system, and am satisfed with the results. Yes, you do have to go slowly, and frequently stop to clean the barrel and reamer, as well as to reapply cutting fluid. There are concerns about wiping the bore and chamber to remove cuttings, or using compressed air to blow them clear. As far as speeding up the operation is concerned, I find that the most time consuming part of the job is the setup. There is first class work being done both ways, so there is probably no agreement over which method is superior.

Never used a flush system but think it would be great if one did a lot of barrels. Can't see how air could hurt any thing, could see a chip getting caught with a jag and cause some damage. I use air but blow out the chamber end from the muzzle.

Wayne, I built a cheap flush system by going air over oil. I can regulate pressure off of the compressor. It gives a nice chamber, but overall I do not think it is that much faster. Just one time forget to cut the oil pressure before removing the reamer, and you can spend quite a bit of time cleaning up the shop. New chambers get flushed, rechambers get the brush and air. Mike

I know that a couple of the big names use a flow through. When I asked about it they told me it was faster for not blowing chips but also that they could run higher lathe speeds. Also, some people feel blowing chips through the bore can damage the barrel. I don't agree but that is something I have heard.

With the standard method I run at very low RPM. These guys are running much higher RPM and at least one shop is using a CNC lathe to get the chamber almost to depth. That one really cuts fast.

Both will give great chambers if done properly. Unless you are doing production type work I don't think the extra time is that big a deal for a gunsmith.

Originally posted by GeneT:
Where'd you find the Greg Tanner video? What do you think of it? What else is shown (aside from the flush through system?)
GsT

http://www.gtrtooling.com/

Very good tapes and some fine tooling.

I am using his through the barrel system BUT not in the pressure he recommends. Just the flow provided by my coolant pump.

Still don't run any faster than 70 rpm and remove reamer and clean well every 0.100 or so.

Wally

Go with the flush system, it's great. I did not have a coolant system onmy lathe, so I made a small recovery system for chambering only. I used a 5 gallon bucket as the resevior, made a pan to fit between the ways under the chuck, with a tube as a return line. Works great.

Now as far as chambering itself, it is faster, produces a better chamber finish, and you can run at 300RPM's without any problems, which gives a better leade finish. You have to use good fliud though. Go with what Greg Tannel recommends.

Back