What's new
What's new

Rem 700 Breech Counter-Bore

catfish

Plastic
I am chambering a barrel for a Rem 700. The bolt is .695" diam. and the factory barrel counter-bore diam is .716". Hinnant's book suggests a barrel counter-bore diam. of no more than .005" greater than the bolt diam. Daryl Holland suggests .010".
My question is this. If the premise is safety, I would think Remington's tolerance would have to be O.K. taking into consideration the litigious times we live in.
How could the counter-bore diameter affect accuracy when the chamber itself and headspace determines cartridge position and placement ?
So what would one gain from the smaller diameter counter-bore diameter over factory specs or conversely, what would you lose with the larger diameter.

Thanks for any/all input.

Ed
Gilroy, CA

I would say the 10 thou is fine as well ..
Though also to keep in mind .. is if you aren't one for cleaning the action very often.. and carbon builds up in there or dirt gets in there... then with the smaller dimension it will be easier for the bolt to bind up on whatever crud gets in there .. Correct me if I'm wrong on that thought butch..

[This message has been edited by Lanmanb4 (edited 10-31-2003).]

The reason fot the tight fit is so that if the cartridge lets go, the rim of the bolt head will expand and seal the chamber, not letting the hot gasses back into the action.
.010" is the normal dimention for the 700.
which equates to .005" per side.

Good shooting, John K

Thanks for the replies.
Mr.4 Eyed,
I know the reason for the counter-bore is safety and when I first read that Mr. Hinnant emphasises the dimension must "never" be more than .005" over the bolt head diameter, I assumed that larger might not be safe. Then I take a look at the factory take- off barrel and see a counter-bore that is .021" over the diameter of the bolt head.
I assume that Remington must design these rifles to be safe enough for the lowest common denominator in the reloading world, and must conclude that the closer fit may be a little safer and certainly more pleasing to the gunsmith-machinest.
I guess my original question was asked because I am just beginning to work on rifle barrels and when I read or hear not to exceed a certain dimension I like to be told
the consequences of doing so.

Remember, Catfish, never say never, it will jump up and bite you. It must be used in the context of the full meaning.

Most information on this site is good stuff but you have to know the person giving it to know the level of quality they are talking about. Gunsmith's go for a tight fit on the bolt nose and headspace and have experience to back them up. Factories have wide tolerances to work with to fit within many parameters including ecomonics. Each of us has their own idea of how to do things so take what works for you, but learn from all and don't reject anything out of hand.

Get a Brownell's catalogue, go to all the online website relating to gunsmithing you can find.

Bryant Custom has a Remington 0.705" counterbore cutter that will solve your problem and do a quick, excellent job. www.bryantcustom.com. www.reamerrentals.com also has one. Check out www.gtrtooling.com, Greg has excellent goodies, some of which I use with great success.

The gain is accuracy, safety, quality and many intangibles.

GreenWillyPeter at your service. Enjoy your toys.

Back