What's new
What's new

03-A3

Picked up this sporterized 03-A3 barreled action with cheap scope and Lyman reciever sight. The bore is in excellent condition as I would expect from a replacement barrel. Here are pics.

03-A3_005.jpg

03-A3_006.jpg

03-A3_007.jpg

03-A3_008.jpg

03-A3_003.jpg

Note the bolt pics, some moron reduced the bolt dia. around the rear lug with a hand grinder. Can't think of a reason for that.
Note also the pos scope mount (B-Square) that replaces the bolt release. One of their famous "no gunsmithing mounts".
Will aquire a new complete bent bolt from Gun Parts Inc. and all parts for bolt release, a used stock. Will clean, grit blast, check headspace, adjust if needed.
reblue and hopefully will have a good shooter. Will have about $225.00 into it when finished.

Paul G

From your photos I would guest that your bolt is just as it was when it left the factory and had not been tampered with as you think. The bolts on the A3s were pretty roughly machined. The A1 bolts and cocking pieces were much nicer. Is your action a Remington or a Smith Corona? Almost all A3 barrels were two groved. If your barrel has only two groves then is an original that has had the profile turned down on a lathe.

When you replace the bolt you should make sure the gas relief hole or holes in the bolt match the reciever. Also, if the head space is wrong with a new bolt, it would be better to try another bolt than to try to adjust the head space. There is a grove cut in the barrel for the extractor on the bolt. That means that to adjust the headspace the barrel needs to make one full turn in the reciever and the chamber needs to be reamed.

Gary P. Hansen

From your photos I would guest that your bolt is just as it was when it left the factory and has not been tampered with as you think. The bolts on the A3s were pretty roughly machined. The A1 bolts and cocking pieces were much nicer. Is your action a Remington or a Smith Corona? Almost all A3 barrels were two groved. If your barrel has only two groves then is an original that has had the profile turned down on a lathe.

When you replace the bolt you should make sure the gas relief hole or holes in the bolt match the reciever. Also, if the head space is wrong with a new bolt, it would be better to try another bolt than to try to adjust the head space. There is a grove cut in the barrel for the extractor on the bolt. That means that to adjust the headspace the barrel needs to make one full turn in the reciever and the chamber needs to be reamed.

Gary P. Hansen

It is a Smith-Corona, I did not mention that the barrel is a 4 groove and therefore a replacement.
You can be sure that the bolt did not leave the factory like this. The area in question is about 1.1" long and the dia is reduced by about.020", it varies depending on where you measure. Here is the best pic I could make but it still doesn't show the obvious work, the gouges etc. of the grinder.

03-A3_012.jpg

The upper bolt in photo is from my 03, a Springfield, also sporterized.
You can see that the rear of the extractor rests in the reduced area, this I believe can only reduce the grip of the extractor and almost certainly cause problems. Perhaps why I got it so cheap.
As for adjusting headspace I have been out of work for two months and will be for another 5 to eight so time is not an issue and I have the equipment and experience to do what is needed. Will post further pics as I go along.

Paul G

Gary.
As much as I hate to admit it, it seems you are right about the 03-A3 bolt coming from the factory in such sorry condidtion. I just recieved a new bolt from Gun Parts Inc. and it is also undercut like the original but not nearly as bad. I should be able to polish it smooth. The new bolt has an ugly bent bolt on it also, but that I can replace.

03-A3_017.jpg

03-A3_019.jpg

Paul G

[This message has been edited by Paul_Gauthier (edited 05-12-2004).]

Paul:

You might want to check with a gun shop that has been in business for a long time and has an invintory of gun parts. They might beable to provide you with an AI bolt or bolt body at a reasonable price. There is a night and day difference. (I was once issued 100 A3's}

Gary P. Hansen

Back