What's new
What's new

222 Rem Mag conversion

Sophiedoc

Cast Iron
I would like to leave a Sako 222 Rem Mag that I built years ago to my grandson but convert to 223 because of ammo availability. He is now only 5 and his daddy is gone and I probably will be kaput and unable to teach him reloading when he is older.Other than cutting back the barrel and threads back .026 will the longer neck of the 222 Mag be a problem or must I rechamber?

I belive the twist rate is different,depending on who made the gun.This might work out okay with heavier bullets,but might not either.

And I don't think you would be able to get away with out rechambering either.You might wind up with too much jump to the rifling,causing problems similar to a worn out or eroded throat.So you will probably have to set the barrel back more and rechamber.

Here is a thought:
Leave the gun as is.Load up as much ammo as you can for him and store it properly and it will keep almost forever.

If you are not too uncomfortable in front of a camera,make him a reloading how to video tape.When he gets old enough to reload himself,he will still have Grampa's guiding hand so to speak!
And make up a kit for him with everything he will need,manuals,dies,press,shell holder, scale,bullets,powder,primers,data for that specific gun,etc.
That way he will be ready when the time comes,and have a little more of Grandpa's stuff to hold onto.

I hope you live long enough to teach him yourself,but it never hurts to be prepared.

Regards,Robert.

.222 RM is a few thou larger in diameter at the shoulder according to the print I am consulting, so you might have to rechamber even more than the .060" difference in neck length to guarantee not having any of the old shoulder left in the chamber. I am guessing that the action has 1.5 mm pitch threads so I would probably take off three full turns and rechamber; four turns would be a better guarantee.

The idea of leaving the rifle as is also appealed to me but making a video of the reloading procedure is a good one especially since I have moderate reloads already.Maybe I will concentrate on another rile on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action I have-thanks.

That sako will be worth quite a bit more if you leave it original. By the time you set it back say three turns the wood to metal fit will start looking half assed. I say leave it alone, make the video, and stockpile some .222 mag brass for him.

After considering all the advice which I appreciate I looked at the 222 Mag rounds I had loaded 40 years ago and the necks were corroding and new brass is getting harder to find so I decided to rechamber(had a 223 reamer) and it worked out OK.Had to sweat off the front sight and redo finish but stock was fine.Even used some of the old bullets and reworked some of the old brass which had about 1 grain less capacity till fire formed.Thanks again all for helping.

Too late now but there is brass available now in the form of 204 Ruger. Still more work messing with it, though. While the triple deuce maggy has lots of nostalgia value the .223 has much more practical value. I wanted one for a long time but got magnumitis and ended up with 22-250's, 22-243 Middlested's and 6mm-284's. Ah, well, it would have been nice.

GWP

Back