What's new
What's new

Will a 300 Win. Mag fit in a .270 Win. bolt?

cl5man

Aluminum
My buddy wants me to turn his .270 remington 700 into a 300 win. mag. I plan on buying an unthreaded barrel, reamer, headspace guages, but I'm not sure if the .270 bolt is the same as the 300 Win. Mag bolt. Any suggestions?

[ 09-21-2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: GGaskill ]

You will have to open the bolt face up as the 300 is larger in diameter. Is it a 700 ADL or BDL? If the latter you could simply buy the Remington .300 WM chambered and treaded barrel. Even the stripped bolt if necessary. Then finish ream it, headspace and your on your way. I don't recall if the ADL is long enough for the 300, but since the 300 is designed to fit a 30-06/.270 action, it probably should fit, so use the same procedure.
Blair

That sounds simple enough. His is a BDL. Another thing I noticed is on my 60's generation remington 700 in 7mag, the bolt won't fit into my buddies never .270 action. Did Remingtion make a change in deminsions over the years? Not that it matters, i'll still be using his bolt but I am curious.

I'm sorry, I just noticed in the main topic line that I said it was a .308 bolt I need to modify. It's actually a .270 bolt that I'm wondering about. Sorry for the confussion

Fixed that--the moderator strikes again :)

[ 09-21-2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: GGaskill ]

I don't know that much about the Remington line over the years. But it should not be a problem to open up the face. I don't know what effect that will have on the extractor, since I don't have one to look at. Since they offered the BDL in 300 WM, everything should fit.

Blair

It may not feed the fatter cartridges as reliably as it fed the old ones. You may have to modify the magazine or action rails.

You will have to open the bolt face as the 308,270,243, and etc are smaller than the magnum boltface. You would then need a Sako type extractor. It doesn't matter if it is a BDL or ADL, it needs to be a long action. The 270 is a long action. Butch

i would compare the .300 mag dims. vs the .270 dims.
the .270 and .308 are based on 30~06 case head dimesions. the difference between adl and bdl is cosmetic and a couple of bells and whistles...jim

Newer bolts have an anti bind slot milled into the bottom edge of the bolt lug. If the old bolt doesn't have this slot, then it won't fit in the newer receiver. Its a simple thing though to mill the slot in the bolt lug. I once had a Remington 78 action that I installed a bolt from a 722 or 721 whichever was the long action. With the antibind slot milled in the 72? bolt, the bolt worked well with the 78 action.

Hi fellas,
I found this old thread in a search and it pertains to my current issue. I have a Rem. 700 action that I blueprinted about a yr. ago and would like to chamber a barrel for 300 Win Mag.and install it on this receiver.The wall thickness of the bolt ring ahead of it's face is .055',from O.D. to extractor groove, the 300 head dia. is .532 and the '06 is .473". Butch Lambert mentioned a Sako type extractor,which I'm not familiar with. My thoughts are, if I open the bolt face to .532" I would still have to machine the groove .0295" deeper to accommodate an extractor for the .300, unless of course that's the difference in the Sako style extractor. To machine the groove .0295 per side deeper leaves only a .0255" wall thickness.
If someone could offer advise on this procedure I would appreciate it.
Thanks, oscer

A Sako extractor is completely different than a Remington and you wouldn't be adding an additional groove in the bolt face. I would suggest you google "sako extractor on remington 700" and look at the pictures. It's not rocket science to install but if you don't know what the difference, you may want to farm that part out to a knowledgeable smith. Worst case you'll end up buying a PTG bolt if you mess it up, or mount rings under the barrel to hold an oak dowel to knock the fired cases out of the chamber from the muzzle end. :D Good Luck

Some smiths claim the Sako extractor is more liable to be blown out of the receiver with a case head failure since it is held in the bolt by spring loaded plunger. They advocate the M16 extractor instead because it is held in by a cross pin.

Personally, I think the best fix is to install a Savage bolt-head with the shroud behind it just like the Savage bolt actions. Then the bolt head is easily changed in the future to accommodate any cartridge. Also, the shroud seals off the bolt ways so that gas cannot exit rearward toward the shooter's face.

RWO

The groove for the Remington extractor is not a simple round undercut. It has an oddball shape for the extractor to fit and work in. So it's more involved than a simple lathe operation.

This for the older riveted extractor. I don't know if the new ones are any different.

Thanks fellas, I found a youtube video showing how to install the Sako, doesn't look that hard to do except he didn't mention the hole depths as he was setting up the mill.
Wesg, Mine is the newer one I'll have to look at it more closely. Are you thinking a rotary table on a mill with a small version of a woodruff key seat cutter?

I have a drawing somewhere, that shows how to do it with XY moves. And yes, with a Woodruff cutter. That might be a crude way of approximating what it's supposed to be, the correct way being a rotary table or CNC. I really have no idea. Would probably have to cut the nose back on one to expose it and figure out what it is.

I suggested a number of years ago that perhaps there's enough meat in the bolt head to cut the nose completely off and slot the lug for a sliding plate extractor, ala M-70/Savage. Someone actually sectioned a couple bolts and decided it was feasible, and did it. But I haven't, so I'm not going to say 'go for it'.

I have heard of good success converting to a Savage bolt head, as already suggested. I think that's a better alternative, albeit a ton more work, than installing a Sako type extractor. The M-16 type is probably more secure, but I've heard of them breaking in half at the pin hole. And they also require a lot of meat taken out of the bolt.

Not a fan of doing this (Sako extractors). I've picked pieces of one out of the mag well of one rifle. And seen the scars right along side someones eye socket that may or may not have been from the extractor departing for fairer pastures.

That said, they do a good job of fixing ejection problems with .222 and .223 cases in M-70's. The other half of that is bushing the bolt face to a tighter fit on the rim, and reducing the chamfer so the case doesn't pop out before it clears the receiver ring.

Back