What's new
What's new

Bolt-action 50BMG

ray french

Titanium
As I said in an earlier post I've been out of gunsmithing for quite some time.Lately I've been giving some thought to building a bolt-action based on the 50 BMG round.I'd like to keep it simple,something along the lines of a 98 Mauser action.I realize that no Mauser action was ever meant to handle this sort of round.I guess my question is this.Since the barrels are available could you build a receiver based on the 98 Mauser?Of course along with this you'd have to build the bolt itself with all the related parts.I know;there are already many generic brands out there.I guess I'd like to build one more before I completely call it quits.Kinda like that big block Chevy engine some of us always wanted to build up.

Ray,
The Germans built an oversize M98 anti-tank rifle.Occaisionally ,one will be offered for sale.I believe that they are on the Curio and Relic list and exempt from the NFA destructive device classification,but I am not 100% sure.

German Anti-tank Rifle

You certainly can use a beefed up 98 action. The 2 lug design is strong enough and in fact is stronger than the multi lobe designs on a weight bases. The max bolt thrust is on the order of 18k to 20k lb and there is no shock loading, so most any steel will do, which is the case with the 98 that uses something equivalent to 1020. The one I am working on uses 4130 heatreated for the receiver ring, since it is rather thin walled. I plan using welded on tubing for the bolt body and receiver aft of the locking lugs and ring and a striker type trigger mechanism like an AR or AK. Too much machining work to use a standard Mauser design. I have most of the parts but now I have to find time to work on it. First, I have to set up my shop, then finish 5 other kits. Spent the last 3 years building the house. Sooo, good luck. ;)

Blair

Ray ,You might consider building a shell holder type of action.

Bolt and receiver are very short for the cartridge involved.

Cartridge snaps into a shell holder on the end of the bolt.
The whole assembly is then placed into the short receiver& bolt is turned down to lock.

Very strong and simple.

Regards,

Steve

I considered doing what Steve suggests and it is an excellent way to build a single shot rifle. Very simple and strong. But at the end of the day, I wanted it to look like a "real" bolt action rifle, so thats the way I designed it. May even include a magazine feed one day.

Blair

May even include a magazine feed one day.

Thats what I am doing now.

Basically taking a bill Holmes single shot bolt action design and usinga Barrett mag with it...
with a few modifications.

I've built a Maddi-Griffen clone that is a shell holder design. Although it is extrmemely accurate, a bolt action is easier to operate and just looks "cooler" I think.

The three lug design only needs 60 degrees of movement,as a result the bolt handle will clear a scope.

Ray and all,

If you go to the French Foreign Legion Museum in southern France you will see a Mauser 50 BMG bolt action rifle in there "trophy" display case (along with a rainbow (barrels in, butts out)of about 20 Thompson machine guns).

The rifle was about eight feet long with a normal sized stock. Action was rather hefty.

They didn't have a placard that stated where they found it.

Fin

jeffeosso,do you have an address for Fred Wells?I'm not an avid gun fan any longer but I read last night that the anti-gun folks are going after anything .50 cal. with the thought of it being a terrorist type weapon.So... I'm giving urgent thought to my project based on what I read.I'm not wanting a .50 because I have deep dark thoughts.Back in '91 I sold an AR15 for cheap and when I see the prices now it gives me pause.Doug Clarke,on a different thread,just purchased an AR15 from a guy near here for an almost unheard of price,at least in this area.I'd like to run across one for that price myself.I guess my point is;if I don't do it soon,I'll not get to do it at all.

Fin:

If you go to the French Foreign Legion Museum in southern France you will see a Mauser 50 BMG bolt action rifle in there "trophy" display case
You don't have to go that far. The West Point Museum has one. They are not exactly .50 BMG, but rather a similar ctg. that the Germans designed in World War ONE. (Which I belive they semi-copied from the BMG ctg.) I think it's a 13mm.

This rifle was intended to be used against the very earliest WWI Brit. & Fr. tanks. (Sources: "Great Weapons of WWI" and the placard at the West Pt. Museum) It is a handsome rifle, looks like a '98 on steroids.

Anyone who hasn't been to the West Point Museum should visit!!! It's about 75 minutes from NYC. I'd call ahead to see about getting a pass, as I'm sure security is tighter since 9-11.

Further up the Hudson, just north of Albany, the Watervleit Arsenal Museum is a must-see for anyone interested in machining. Be sure to check out their "1900 Machine Shop" working display.

[ 01-10-2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: SouthBendModel34 ]

Actually the Browning .50 round was developed from examples of the 13mm Mauser. It was developed too late for WWI use but obviously has seen more action since the War to end all Wars.

Hi Ray, just thought I would reply. There was/is a small shop in Prescott, Az. that will build any calibur you wish in the 98 action. He builds everything right there. Maybe thirteen or so years ago I went there and looked his shop over. Really blew me away with what they had. Thought I would buy the little .22 long rifle 98 but the $4,000 kind of stopped me. His wife that gave me the tour is the only woman master engraver in the world. Sorry but I can't remember this fellows name at all and he may be the Fred that was mentioned in another post. Just wanted to let you know it is and has been done. I remember this smith told me he just sized up everything from a 30-06 round.
Michael

Michael Az

The shop you visited was Wells Sports Shop.
Belonged to Fred & Rachael Wells last time I knew.
They have been building large scale mauser actions for ever.

The Brits also played with a big bolt action anti tank rifle, I think in .500 called the Boys. There is one in the tank muiseum at Bovington

The Boyes has a .55cal bore which makes it a destructive device.It is a highly regulated firearm in the USA.Many have been converted to 50BMG to avoid the NFA classification,paperwork,and $200 excise tax.

Since when did longarms larger than .50 become NFA?
Every shotgun from 28 to 10 gauge is bigger than .50.
I seem to recall big game rifles chambered dor cartridges larger than .50.
I know pistols with bores bigger than .50 are NFA, but wasn't aware of longarms being the same.
If that's true, it just sucks.
Hell, it sucks when applied to pistols.

Ray, IIRC Brocks Army Navy off of E. Ponce in DeKalb County had one of those Monster German Antitank bolt actions hanging on the wall back in 1999.

ogree, yes that is it. They really do some beautiful work. The wife does the engraving. Not very often you can walk into a small shop and find a couple that does it "all".
Michael

Back