What's new
What's new

Falling block rifle

DragonsBane

Aluminum
I have been trying to find a set of plans for a falling block rifle built to handle todays high pressure smokeless cartridges but to no avail. What I would lik to do is build a falling block able to handle something like .45-70 cartrigde necked down to a .30 cal or something of that nature. Will the book I see listed for the .225 Winchester give me enough info on how to build the action or am I entering a realm of unknowh here? Also Is there a certain type of steel I should use here? Thank you for all your help.

I am eqaully interested in the responces and your findinds, I am currently on the hunt for bolt action and such signle shot pistols and rifles, nothing yet!
Keep loooooooking!

CYa

One of the designs Frank DeHaas has in his book of single shot plans will handle anything in existence. I think it's the Vault Lock #2.

The book is available from several sources including his son Mark. Mark is also one of the top black powder barrel makers in the country.

If you can't find the book, let me know and I'll dig Mark's address out.

I think it's the Vault Lock #2.
What do you mean by that?

The plan for me was to use no source that costed money, since the internet it self is so large I thought I can get by with just finding them!
some one must have a scanned copy?
Or similar!

Thanx

The name of the rifle is the Vault Lock #2

The plan for me was to use no source that costed money, since the internet it self is so large I thought I can get by with just finding them

Good Luck!

I ran across frank's book over at brownells.com. Little pricey, but from what I 've read it is well worth the money. Will probably be ordering it after the holidays.

later all.....

A falling block rifle is pretty straightforward. The locking pieces are so large that one could probably make a receiver from mild steel and case harden the working surfaces and have plenty of safety margin. There have to be paper books in brick and mortar libraries with enough drawings that you could do you own plans.

I would stay away from the .45-70 cartridge for a high pressure wildcat. If you want something like that, .348 Winchester would be a better choice as a precursor cartridge.

VooDoo --

There are free plans available for the AR15, which could be made as a manually operated rifle. Try ar15.com and look for downloads. The AR10 is basically the same mechanism scaled up for the larger cartridge.

A manually operated turnbolt rifle is a pretty simple thing. Why not draw your own plans?

If your thinking about an AR type of rifle, this site has one that I built as a pump. I also built a single shot style AR as a 50 BMG.

You can either machine your own receiver or get an 80% from that site or a dozen others. The AR design also lends itself to a straight pull bolt action.
http://www.tanneryshop.com/MESSAGEBOARD.html

The book you mention "Building a Single-shot, Falling-block Rifle Action" contains all the information you will need to build a single-shot action for any rimmed cartridge.
From the material to build it out of and what to get it hardened too, all the calculations to determine the safety of the components, this comes in handy if you want to alter the cartridge size or dimentions of anything.
The money I paid for this book is money well spent.

Ian

Would Mark DeHaas be the same son who was a USMC scout sniper in VietNam?
I have Franks book on bolt action rifles. Great book. Has a section in the back written by that son about the ideal military sniper rifle.
No plans for building rifles. It's purely information about military and commercial bolt actions. GREAT reading.

I have to agree w/ Kiwi_007.

The book is very thin, but has more meaningful information than any other source it's size.

Highly recommended!

KillJoy

How about a web or email address for Mark Dehaas?
It's his dad's fault that I ended up liking bolt action rifles so much. I didn't give a rat's rear about them until I was given his book.
After reading it, I was hooked on bolt guns, both classic military and sporting. I'm especially fond of Lee Enfields and Swedish Mausers.

AZm,
What precisely are you looking for? I have the factory service pages and two rifles that could be measured if necessary, but no manufacturing prints.

frank was quite a character, and wrote articles that were published in the american rifleman in the 40's. oddball reworks and garage smithing were his thing. he could build a rifle with a hacksaw and a drill press. one article i remember detailed reworking a win 67 22 rf single bolt as a free pistol. would be illegal today, but i'd do it if i could.

Sorry Jaymo, I don't think he even owns a computer. I have to call him. I'll look up his number when I get back and email it to you.

GGaskill,
I was hoping for drawings giving the dimensions of the trigger area (sear, etc.) As drawings are not available, I ordered the sear from Browning and just measured it. I hope to incorporate the Browning sear/hammer design (safety proven) into my own falling block action. Thank you.

Back