What's new
What's new

Thread dimensions for Pedretti Repro Sharps 1874?

PCali

Aluminum
I've got an EMF Sharps 1874 with a chamber that doesn't share the same centerline with the bore.... (by about .030").

I've got a .45 caliber barrel blank and I'm considering rebarreling.. (I've fit barrels before.. so that's not an issue).

Trouble is; I'd really like to know what thread pitch the Pedretti barrel is BEFORE I pull the barrel off the action... I want to know if I can cut that pitch with my lathe or not.

Anyone happen to know what pitch and thread form Pedretti uses? I'd ask EMF.. but. um.. I kinda said something to them along the lines of "only the blind or stupid could have missed THIS factory defect"... :rolleyes:
(seriously.. if I could take a decent picture of how FAR off it is..I'd post it!).

Thanks in advance!
Paul F.

Paul, I have had to research this question myself (on other forums) The answer I got (long story short) The spaghetti guns have no standard, pull the barrel and make descisions from there. AND BEFORE anyone goes off, I like spaghetti guns , love my pedersoli Quigley Sharps! Ken

.........Paul, wish I could answer your specific question. Never heard of Pedretti, you mean Pedersoli? I have a Sahrps I bought from EMF many years ago when I had an FFL. Drove down to their offices and was allowed to pick from 8 that thier gunsmith had checked out.

At that time (and I've seen them since) were made by IAB. Excuse my fractured Italian, this was Industrias d'Armas, Brescia. It was in 45-70 and accuracy was terrible. The chamber was horrendously long with no discernable throat or leade.

I had my gunsmith rechamber to 45-90 and it's a dream to shoot. When I picked mine up I was told that each and every one is inspected by their gunsmith before being shipped. How extensive their 'inspection' was, I have no idea. I'm sure it was a mere function/liability looksee.

As far as thread, I'd bet money that it's a common metric V thread. If your lathe does metric then you should be able to do it.

Best,
Rick

Thanks Gents!

It's a "Pedretti and Sons" by IAB, as imported by EMF...
In my research, Pedretti either IS or IS NOT related to Pedersoli.. I haven't found anything definitive.

My lathe can cut "Several" Metric threads... but not all.

If I have no choice, I'll go ahead and pull the barrel, but with my luck on this gun so FAR, it'll be a thread I can't cut.

My mistake with this gun was falling in lust with a pretty butt(stock)... the wood is way nicer than any other import sharps I've ever seen.. like "A-Fancy".
After I noticed the chamber, I should have just returned it..
Instead, EMF's "gunsmiths" at "Track of the Wolf" had at it..
They crowned the barrel and gave it a clean bill of health. Kinda like applying foot powder for a brain tumor.

I've managed to piss off some fans of Track of the Wolf on other boards... but if you could see the chamber, then you'd see that NO ONE could miss it if they had ever even LOOKED down the bore from the breech end.

Sorry for ranting... I HAD hoped to shoot this rifle this weekend after it came back after 3 months... but now I'm faced with rebarreling it MYSELF.

Paul F.

The original Sharps had a square thread with 10 threads per inch. I hand built a complete gun and fooled and farted with grinding cutters for cutting the barrel shank and the receiver. I don't think that those Italien manufacturers would have strived for authenticity of the original threads. Thats my two bits worth.

Sharps guy.

Back